An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Smeg!! That's twice I haven't logged in! Doh!
Above post from me ~ apologies! :-)

FWIW, I do have an opinion on the original post.

I believe that anyone who has secured a recording contract has something which you & I do not have. Someone, somewhere thinks/thought they had some extra talent - and they do.

It might not be the talent which I admire or value, but that doesn't detract from their perceived talent by others - it is purely my perception. Personally, I'm very unlikely to call anyone crap (sorry Zakk - LOL), as that's just not the way I see the world.

I would be more likely to say I didn't like it and then choose to not listen to it.

However, I do not believe that it is fundamental to disliking an artist that one needs to be able to emulate them.

I personally do not admire most shredders. To me it is a style which has bugger all to do with the music I enjoy (being a bass player, I know that less is more and spaces can be more effective than notes). Shredders, in general, do not seem to me to understand that basic concept. This translates into me choosing to dismiss their efforts. I'd stop short of saying they are crap and although there's simply no way in several hells I could play their stuff, I choose to dislike their music.

I believe my viewpoint on what I like and dislike is valid for me. I don't smoke, but I don't like being around smokers. It isn't necessary for me to be able to smoke to know that it isn't for me.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Sicklehut
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Sicklehut »

As I grow older I tend to think music I don't like as music I don't like rather than it's crap. Back when I was younger I use to think music I hated was crap .. but as you get along ... you find that its just not your taste. I would only call music crap if they were played by incompetent musicians and were really crap ...

I dont mind people saying that they don't like Clapton or Yngwie etc. ... but I take a dislike to people who say they are crap ...

Well I take it this is a highly opinionated forum with a lot of personal angst ... :P I got flamed for my opinion on Ovation a while back ... and the comment I got flamed for was actually a light-hearted joke ... :roll:

Rock on ....
I woke up this morning and said to myself
Self what a great day it is for Rock and Roll ...

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

group hug anyone? :mrgreen:

seriously.. we all have our different tastes in music.. i think we should all respect each others' diversity.. it may be wrong to call a certain kind of music "crap" but think about it.. to me it's just an expression.. kinda like the way we say "sammick" because we don't like it.. :D

please don't hurt me for my opinion ;)

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Well this year I went to Green Dsy, Good Charlotte and Simple Plan and quietly put up with heaps of guys here saying how crap their music is. I didn't say "how many international hit records have you had?" or "how many concerts have you sold out lately?" because thats the sort of childish crap that dominates places like Harmony Central.

I have never criticised the playing ability of any guitarist but I will always reserve the right to call their music crap. Sorry if that offends your sensitive new age side but I listen to you guys dissing my heros often enough.

And suggesting that you can't diss an artists music if you cant play his licks is rght up there with the dumbest things i've ever heard in any forum.

A couple of weeks ago I posted a link to a page full of shred type music. Even if i think its crap I still recognize some people like it and support their interest in it.

Rog

Post by Rog »

The word 'crap' is an interesting use anyway.

I worked with an Englishman who used crap and rubbish in normal coversation, to convey the idea that he didn't like it. To him it meant nothing else & I suspect that is the main use these day. He once said "Ferrari - they're crap! Citroen is the best.". Clearly that was just an opinion, largely based on him driving a Citroen at the time. However, at the time I thought he was a total wanker and told him so. He was amazed at my reaction.

I don't like cabbage, its crap!
That's just saying I don't like cabbage.
Unfortunately, too many people take it to heart and that's the major reason I don't use it.

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP
"I am the Black Wizard"

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Rog, you probably havent eaten cabbage more than 3 times in your life. What gives you the right to say its crap. Only snails have the right to call cabbage crap.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

this thread is so stupid
"I am the Black Wizard"

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Post by Bg »

I think a statement like "it's crap" should always be preceeded by the statement (written or assumed) "in my opinion".
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog

Post by Rog »

as should every post here or elsewhere.

Can we make that a blanket statement: All posts made are a personal view only and have little bearing on the rest of the world. :-)

DBM Music

Post by DBM Music »

Looks like the Storm is crossing over.

I don't like listening to much 80's rock but i see there is some value in listening to it. Some of that music has some mean lead licks etc. You can really learn lots from it. But thats just the same for anything, you can learn what to do or what not to do!

Zakk Wylde
Bourbon soaked 6-string demon

Post by Zakk Wylde »

Ok I know im going to get some flak for this but, I'll say it anyway:

From Tsukens posts, I get the feeling that you are trying to make the point that people that call someone elses playing 'crap'...
(guitar based initially, before the statement was taken to encapsulate music as a whole)
...without being able to play this music, are not able to do so. Or simply they are not in a position to really make a valid statement that this music is crap.

The point was taken further to mean that the only valid form of such a statement is from a person who could retrace the steps of the artist whom they are calling 'crap'.

This, as Phillip stated in an aggressive manner, is not true.
An opinion, does not have to be based on anything. As much as we would enjoy the fact that everything we ever expressed/stated was based on a rational understanding and comprehension of the facts, this is not the case.

Although the discussion seems to have degraded to a competition of 'who's more high and mighty', I do believe that our forum leader (BG) is correct in saying that "in my opinion" should follow some comments, but it is often implied in many comments.

Thats my 2cents, so there.... in my opinion.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

I missed the whole thing. Just read it this morning. :lol:

IMO. Play what you want, be happy. :D

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

hahhaha tmg got it sorted
"I am the Black Wizard"