An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Re: Recommended me a starting album for ..

Post by WellyBlues »

Dude, avoid like the plague.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Aren't we spoilt these days? No need to rush to the record store, burn a cd from a mate or try and find a bootleg cassette version. We have access to all the music we can consume at a swipe of the finger, meaning we can experiment with music genera's we would never normally consider. After a recommendation from a work colleague, I'm listening Tool's most recent album, which is a million miles from my normal tastes, but I'm really digging it.

Gotta love a good algorythm too. Apparently they know us better than our nearest and dearest. Bit scary really....

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Olderama wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:14 pm Not started it yet
Will be adding to spotify this weekend

Also I haven't listed to a Led Zep album
For Led Zep, It's a thread in itself.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I would recommend going through Led Zeps albums chronologically. Physical Graffiti is my favourite, with Led Zep I a close second.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Another vote for Sticky Fingers. I really like Exile, but it's a big, sprawling thing (double album) and nowhere near as focused as Sticky Fingers. Goat's Head Soup is very good too. Beggars Banquet, perhaps. If you want an earlier, 60s Stones, I'd go for Aftermath as an intro to that period. Of the Ronnie Wood albums, I'd say Some Girls is the pick of the litter.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

for Led Zep just listen to Hauraki and the Rock for a day each you'll have heard most of it.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

There are masterpieces and there are popular songs. Different souls prefer different aspects of both the Stones and Zep. If I was introducing anyone to both of those acts, I'd use:
40 Licks (get to know their popular side before delving deeper to find some great stuff)
Led Zeppelin 2 (probably because I was stoned when it came out and it just hit the spot like raspberry and coke. It's one of only a very few LPs I can lie back and listen to every song)

However, if they were 'arty' types, I'd look elsewhere.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Rog wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:42 pm There are masterpieces and there are popular songs. Different souls prefer different aspects of both the Stones and Zep. If I was introducing anyone to both of those acts, I'd use:
40 Licks (get to know their popular side before delving deeper to find some great stuff)
Led Zeppelin 2 (probably because I was stoned when it came out and it just hit the spot like raspberry and coke. It's one of only a very few LPs I can lie back and listen to every song)

However, if they were 'arty' types, I'd look elsewhere.
Its not just you, I wasn't stoned and Zep 2 was best :D 4 is where you need to be stoned, in case theres a bustle in your hedgerow - it'll stop you from being alarmed.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

WellyBlues wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:03 pm Dude, avoid like the plague.
yes this ... forget the stones and Zep ... just listen to the Allman Brothers (all eras except that "hittin the note" album...that was awful in spite of Derek Trucks) and be done with it
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

I liked Hittin the Note, but the first 2 albums and Fillmore East are the cream.

Oldie should listen to the Gov't Mule albums with Allen Woody. Life Before Insanity is a stunner.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

jimi wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:31 pm for Led Zep just listen to Hauraki and the Rock for a day each you'll have heard most of it.
Ewwww