Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: RIP Eddie Van Halen

Post by jeremyb »

On Eddie's birthday (today in the states...) I was wondering, imagine it's 1978 and hearing about a band called Van Halen, buying their self titled album and chucking it on the turntable, only to be greeted by Eruption, you'd wonder WTF you were in for, I bet it blew away so many people!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

it did.
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:59 pm On Eddie's birthday (today in the states...) I was wondering, imagine it's 1978 and hearing about a band called Van Halen, buying their self titled album and chucking it on the turntable, only to be greeted by Eruption, you'd wonder WTF you were in for, I bet it blew away so many people!!
Yeah, after we'd heard Running with the Devil though...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

I was thinking about this the other night - what was it like seeing VH before they hit big? What songs did they play? Were there tunes that only ever got played live in the pre-album days and never got recorded?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

hamo wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:03 am I was thinking about this the other night - what was it like seeing VH before they hit big? What songs did they play? Were there tunes that only ever got played live in the pre-album days and never got recorded?
In the early days when they played covers too would be pretty interesting to see!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Mammoth was the name of the band, only learnt that an hour ago.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

hamo wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:03 am I was thinking about this the other night - what was it like seeing VH before they hit big? What songs did they play? Were there tunes that only ever got played live in the pre-album days and never got recorded?
There's heaps of stuff on YouTube. I think they had a few songs from before the first album that ended up being used on A Different Kind of Truth.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 293 times

Post by murky »

:shock:
Lyle wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:50 pm
There's heaps of stuff on YouTube. I think they had a few songs from before the first album that ended up being used on A Different Kind of Truth.
😯

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Been listening to the full Van Halen discography for the last few weeks. Judging by comments I see online it's a fairly clichéd opinion but I can't get into the Van Hagar albums.

Sammy is definitely a better singer than DLR but there's a bunch of songs with great riffs that are let down by his contribution.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

the only van hagar album I like is the first one and that really dated quickly for me.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

With Hagar Van H went all suburban. It's 1986, your girlfriend is shopping at a mall and you are trying to be involved but your brain is liquifying from the boredom, and 'why can't this be love' is being played over the sound system.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:59 pm On Eddie's birthday (today in the states...) I was wondering, imagine it's 1978 and hearing about a band called Van Halen, buying their self titled album and chucking it on the turntable, only to be greeted by Eruption, you'd wonder WTF you were in for, I bet it blew away so many people!!
People often recall the first time they heard Hendrix and will sometimes say it was like he was from outer-space. Well, I remember clearly a mate playing me Hang 'em High from Diver Down. First time I heard EVH. It's wedged firmly in my memory. I can think about it and be momentarily 17 again.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

werdna wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:45 pm With Hagar Van H went all suburban. It's 1986, your girlfriend is shopping at a mall and you are trying to be involved but your brain is liquifying from the boredom, and 'why can't this be love' is being played over the sound system.
it was nice to hear van hagar on mainstream radio/juke boxes though. Like I say, briefly.