clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: The Beatles - Get Back

Post by clubhouse »

werdna wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:34 am Elton John’s 70s output was nearly as good as the Beatles. The deep cuts are way better than his hits. Amorena, somebody Saved My Life Tonight, My Fathers Gun, Burn Down the Mission, Tiny Dancer, Captain Fantastic and maybe 25 others. Amazing songwriting, strings by Paul Buckmaster, classic 70s sound that never dates. Roots music sitting somewhere between The Band and pop music. In the 70s, he was the biggest selling artist because of his song quality.
Thanks man...always good to learn!

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

werdna wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:34 am Elton John’s 70s output was nearly as good as the Beatles. The deep cuts are way better than his hits. Amorena, somebody Saved My Life Tonight, My Fathers Gun, Burn Down the Mission, Tiny Dancer, Captain Fantastic and maybe 25 others. Amazing songwriting, strings by Paul Buckmaster, classic 70s sound that never dates. Roots music sitting somewhere between The Band and pop music. In the 70s, he was the biggest selling artist because of his song quality.
Ironically, it took two smash hit Beatles covers to really put him on the map.

Smart guy. :)

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Litterick »

clubhouse wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:37 am
It could be argued that Jackson’s oeuvre points to a deliberate use of ‘time in exposure’ as a cinematic device…not quite what a pop consuming audience may be prepared for but one that a doco viewing one would be fully comfortable with…watch Ken Burn’s Jazz or Country Music docos sometime.
It could be argued that Jackson stretches material to maximise profit. Making a series from everything Michael Lindsay-Hogg discarded brings joy to completists but bores those who want to watch a documentary.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Litterick wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:18 pm
clubhouse wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:37 am
It could be argued that Jackson’s oeuvre points to a deliberate use of ‘time in exposure’ as a cinematic device…not quite what a pop consuming audience may be prepared for but one that a doco viewing one would be fully comfortable with…watch Ken Burn’s Jazz or Country Music docos sometime.
It could be argued that Jackson stretches material to maximise profit. Making a series from everything Michael Lindsay-Hogg discarded brings joy to completists but bores those who want to watch a documentary.
Very good point...and the Jackson is certainly wealthy...but I would argue an unedited document allows greater opportunity of contextual insight for a viewer than an edited highlights package that may lead the viewer by the nose...

"Matters aren’t helped by the original documentary’s director, Michael Lindsay-Hogg, who insists that the band should perform in an amphitheatre in Tripoli – “Torchlit! In front of 2,000 Arabs!” – and is heroically undaunted by various Beatles telling him where to stick his idea."

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Episode 2 tonight :thumbup:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Litterick
Gibson

Post by Litterick »

clubhouse wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:23 pm
Very good point...and the Jackson is certainly wealthy...but I would argue an unedited document allows greater opportunity of contextual insight for a viewer than an edited highlights package that may lead the viewer by the nose...
Possibly. I expect edited versions will be made by fans, opportunists and conspiracists. The original will remain as the sole authority.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:13 pm Episode 2 tonight :thumbup:
not really interested unless they perform in an amphitheatre in Tripoli – “Torchlit! In front of 2,000 Arabs!”
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Did John Rowles really just get mentioned in the early part of episode 2?

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Litterick wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:18 pm
Possibly. I expect edited versions will be made by fans, opportunists and conspiracists. The original will remain as the sole authority.
And if by original you mean the Jackson epic...then yes, the undiluted, complete version will remain the authority...and that is the point of documentary and the point that Petridis misses.

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

Litterick wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:23 am
No, he is a highly respected music critic who happens to have a different opinion from yours.
So was John Mendelsohn.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Nice article about Get Back. Emphasises how different Britain was then compared to now.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-fab-four
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

It's strange to see the footage of Lennon. He's quite animated and chipper. After reading the books, I had an expectation of a quiet, sour person.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Litterick
Gibson

Post by Litterick »

blackstratblues wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:55 pm
Litterick wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:23 am
No, he is a highly respected music critic who happens to have a different opinion from yours.
So was John Mendelsohn.
Wut?

Litterick
Gibson

Post by Litterick »

clubhouse wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:41 pm
Litterick wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:18 pm
And if by original you mean the Jackson epic...then yes, the undiluted, complete version will remain the authority...and that is the point of documentary and the point that Petridis misses.
It is not a documentary. It is a collection of dailies not used in the original film. It has no editorial context. Petridis makes a good argument, which other critics share. Dumping a lot of footage on a channel is not making a film.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

On the Sunday programme on TV One tonight is an interview with Peter Jackson about the movie. 7:30 to 8:30pm for those interested.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days