Been liked: 946 times

Box Sets

Post by foal30 »

Some of my favourite box sets are

Marvin Gaye : The Master

James Brown - Star Time

Sonny Rollins - Original Album Classics

Otis Redding - Original Album Series
Last edited by foal30 on Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Box Sets

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

ZZ Top – The Complete Studio Albums 1970-1990
(the LP mixes on CD make the CD mixes sound like garbage)

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by JHorner »

The Band: A Musical History

Does it count as a box set if it's a book with 5 CDs in it?

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

JHorner wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:02 pm ZZ Top – The Complete Studio Albums 1970-1990
That would be worth hunting down. The cd mixes are terrible, no dynamic’s compared to the vinyl mastering. I’ve found a few album digitizations and they’re way better especially the first few albums.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by JHorner »

sty wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:50 pm
JHorner wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:02 pm ZZ Top – The Complete Studio Albums 1970-1990
That would be worth hunting down. The cd mixes are terrible, no dynamic’s compared to the vinyl mastering. I’ve found a few album digitizations and they’re way better especially the first few albums.
For a while, discountcds couldn't keep them in stock, no one in nz had any, but they have a couple right now.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... 3919268012

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

My two favourite ones are a Hendrix box set (4 CD's and a massive 'booklet') and a SRV one (3 CD's + a DVD with around 40mins of unreleased tracks from Austin City Limits 1989 and a decent sized booklet). Bought both of them in the late 90's while I was doing a road trip around the States :thumbup:
Attachments
Box.jpg
Box.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 3558 times
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

Yeah both those are brilliant. Bought when I’d buy tons of CDs every month. No idea where I got the money!!

Love the velvet cover on the Hendrix one

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Muddy Waters : on LP. Brilliant.
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Derek and the Dominoes
Allman Brothers Band

are all good.

The Band : A Musical History is very good. I don't have it but got it out of the library. Will buy it if I see it.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

I think my favorite box sets are the recent box set of the first four Marillion albums.

I’ve got the vinyl sets and the cd sets.

A really strong remaster of the original, a collection of b sides and other great stuff and an unheard live show. All on 4 vinyl discs with a lovely glossy booklet with plenty of words and pictures.

The CDs have similar music, plus a dvd of an interview, videos, and a surround mix of the album. Etc.

I got mine from the Fish site so they’re all signed by The Big Man himself.

They’re very good and everything is worth listening to repeatedly.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times

Post by foal30 »

JHorner wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:04 pm The Band: A Musical History

Does it count as a box set if it's a book with 5 CDs in it?
The Last Waltz is brilliant. “The Night They Drove Ol’ Dixie Down” is my favourite

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

sty wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:17 am I think my favorite box sets are the recent box set of the first four Marillion albums.

I’ve got the vinyl sets and the cd sets.

A really strong remaster of the original, a collection of b sides and other great stuff and an unheard live show. All on 4 vinyl discs with a lovely glossy booklet with plenty of words and pictures.

The CDs have similar music, plus a dvd of an interview, videos, and a surround mix of the album. Etc.

I got mine from the Fish site so they’re all signed by The Big Man himself.

They’re very good and everything is worth listening to repeatedly.
I’m going to sit down and properly listen to Marillion. I’ve never really bothered thinking it was possibly like Rush

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Started with Kayleigh and Cannibal Surf Girl

Liked the homage to Brian Wilson✅

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

There's kind of two big eras for Marillion,

1) With Fish
2) With Steve Hogarth

I'm a massive Fish era fan and less obsessive about the other stuff, but I do listen to it.

I'm not fanatical about this, so what I say here could be considered heresy, but I'll go with it.

There are four studio albums in the Fish Era.

Misplace Childhood was the 3rd, and is by far their most successful album (Kayleigh is off this), it's a concept album and one of my favourite albums ever. Very musical, very clever lyrics etc. I probably suggest anybody to start here if they liked Kayleigh.

Clutching At Straws was the 4th (and final Fish era studio album). I feel it's got snappier songs on it and some would argue it's a better album really that Misplaced Childhood, I'm tempted to agree. Well worth listening to, another concept album I believe.

Script for a Jesters Tear is the debut album and some of the early influences (Genesis, etc.) are possibly a bit more obvious but the songs are still great especially the title track.

Fugazi rounds it all out as the 2nd album. The start of the more shorter songs focus and some of their first breakthrough songs like He Knows You Know.

They were a very hard working band with a huge following before the made their original albums., so there are some songs that aren't on the first albums but are equally worth diving into. I think most of these can happily be found on The B-Sides Themselves.

You really need to give Grendel a go, watch the live video on youtube if you can stomach it, a rambling epic song with some hooky tunes in it. Based on the poem/story of Grendel which is the Beowolfe story told from the perspective of the Monster.

Also Forgotten Sons is great, again the youtube video live from the early days is with digging into. Deals with the Northern Irish wars/troops/troubles etc.

They were a great live act, do for the great early days stuff there is a four show box set The Early Stages official bootleg collection which has four landmark shows spread before/during and just after the broke and got a deal - I love all these shows.

For a round up of the FIsh era the excellent Thieving Magpie La Gazza Ladra) or Live form Loreley are great.

That might help you choose where to dive in.

Fish writes very well crafted lyrics, more poems and chooses his words way to cleverly for me but I appreciate it, combine that with the amazing musicianship and composing skills of the remaining band members and they were a potent force when working together. I like Fish's solo stuff but in general it's not as strong as when he was writing as part of a team of equals hungry to break through.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

Steve Rothery is my all time favourite guitarist and undoubtedly my biggest influence, I’ve been lucky enough to see them a number of times live back when I was in the UK. Their shows are simply incredible, the music combined with the visuals is often enough to bring fans to tears

I got into them when Fish was in the band, but Seasons End was one of the first albums I bought on cassette and since then I’ve always been in the Hogarth camp. For me I think their latest album is one of their strongest musical statements, but it would be a flip of a coin between that or Brave… both are masterpieces in their own right
Attachments
DC7DC841-1D5A-4A68-A553-09F26549AA03.jpeg
DC7DC841-1D5A-4A68-A553-09F26549AA03.jpeg (3.85 MiB) Viewed 3137 times
5617F443-279D-44DF-B825-510B6D8C8B3B.jpeg
5617F443-279D-44DF-B825-510B6D8C8B3B.jpeg (3.8 MiB) Viewed 3137 times
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”