Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Re: Nail

Post by Lyle »

Lawrence wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:15 am These are some of the nicest people in the business.
That's what I've heard too. I don't go out of my way to listen to Devilskin but when I read about the endorsement I was still happy to see Nail getting recognised.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

All in on congratulating kiwis getting recognition, well done that man!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Lawrence wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:15 am (and I am not a fan of metal /nu-metal whatever)
Lawrence wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:15 am I'll go out on a limb here....
These don't quite add up :rofl: :rofl:

Anyway I don't know any of the DS guys but I'm friends with a few people from various incarnations of 8FT. I'd say these bands know exactly what they're working with by now, and are very smart by working hard in their local market.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

godgrinder wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:29 pm
Lawrence wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:15 am (and I am not a fan of metal /nu-metal whatever)
Lawrence wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:15 am I'll go out on a limb here....
These don't quite add up :rofl: :rofl:
:lol: :clap: heh heh. I can't be a fan of everything cos then I'd be a fan of nothing...er...I think.

As a guitar geek coming from a blues, glam, classic rock and prog rock background I do try to listen to some of the more contemporary versions of the genres. Most "nu-metal" leaves me cold but that doesn't mean I don't recognise and appreciate the arrangements, the performances, the recording techniques and the mixing challenges, with live and on record. I do get to hear some of the lessor known bands when they support big names - Papa Roach for example when they supported RHCP.

My point was that the gap between many "local inferior versions" and big name acts is often not so much about competency levels as it is production levels. Im sure Im not alone is seeing some apparently pretty average players on very big stages...and I am sure its often because they bring something unique to the mix, and sometimes their actual skill level is much higher but not the appropriate performance for the context so I am not intending to be critical of any individuals. Sometimes just being a chill dude on the road is enough to justify a gig.

What I won't do is call someone inferior when they are clearly a committed professional with high levels of competency.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Mr Bungle
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Mr Bungle »

Papa Roach, fml :roll:

I don’t think any level of production would help Devilskin. I don’t care if they’re from NZ. That shouldn’t alter how one critiques what they hear, which we all do and many elaborate on this here board.

I had a family member in the Black Seeds. Didn’t make me want to listen to BBQ reggae.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Far out... this is a thread to celebrate someone's achievements. Can't we just be happy for them? Music is incredibly subjective. You don't have to like it, you don't have to praise it, but don't rain on their parade!

Mr Bungle
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Mr Bungle »

Someone very well connected in the music scene told me it’s basically a bought endorsement courtesy of the music store that supports Nail putting future purchasing pressure on Gibson.