Show Us Your Guitar

Lets all drool over your stuff :)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Tsuken »

Well, I figured it was time for a family shot. Unfortunately I decided this 15 minutes ago, and have just taken the pic about 10 minutes ago, so it's artificial light/flash. Never mind, you'lll get the idea.

From right to left we have:

My 24 year old no-name nylon string acoustic. It refuses to die, despite even the time I asked for "a set of acoustic guitar strings please", was rather surprised at them being metal, and rather disconcerted when as I tried to tune it to pitch there were loud creaking and cracking noises :| Next time I asked for nylon acoustic strings.

My Samick Warlock, with DiMarzio Super Distortion humbucker, and the other pickup and control cavities filled in with wood, glue, epoxy, cement - whatever came to hand, really. ;) That's Chastity from Chaos Comics in front of the pickup, by the way. 8)

Jenna - Unknown brand Japanese strat copy. Horrible two tone sunburst (with a faintly greenish tinge :? ) and covered in stickers over the course of 17 years 8) neck is from a Rockson dinky strat, pickup is a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, pickguard by Ash. Jenna Jameson is front and centre ;) - thanks stickerchick :D

2004 Ibanez S470 - customised with DiMarzio Breed and PAF Pro humbuckers, coil splitter switch, funky new 5-way switch, and a new arm holder for the trem that Tsuken broke. ;)

My Ash (semi-)custom. Body began life as the Rockson whose neck is currently sported by Jenna, but has been so beautifully modified by Ash that it bears absolutely no resemblance (beyond having offset double cutaways). Neck is an Ibanez Wizard II from an S470DX (apparently a reject neck, according to Ash, but not according to how it lets me play 8) ). Pickups are DiMarzio Breed bridge humbucker, and DiMarzio Cruisers neck and middle. Bridge is Wilkinson VG300. Graphtech nut, Gotoh locking tuners. Funky wiring including Ash's custom version of the stellartone tone control multi-switch (http://www.stellartone.com).
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Oh, and there's a Yamaha RGX112 body in my garage that needs painting, and fitting with its neck (sitting at Ash's workshop awaiting a general clean-up), my new DiMarzio Evolution (and the standard Yamaha single coils neck and middle for now), and a Jackson floyd Rose. 8)

I have to figure out a really nasty 80s hair-metal paintjob (that I'll be able to carry out) ;)

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

Nice bunch of guitars Tsuken. Bit too pointy for my taste but nice.

One of these days I must try out some of the latest Ibanezs

As you've probably noticed I have a liking for older style guitars, and I've accumulated a few. Part of my reasoning is attoning for my sins when I was younger and thinking about some of the gats that have passed through my hands that i wished I'd kept. Part is just plain curiosity, I've imported a number of them that are probably the only one of their type in NZ, and i just wanted to hear how they sound and play. And part is my retirement fund. Some of the prices on these old gats are starting to go silly, and I've been grabbing a couple here and there when I see what i perceive to be a bargain. Most of my gats that I've had for over 2 years have at least doubled in price.
I'm hopeless at saving money, but I'm good at GAS :)

r4nd0m
Ashton
Ashton

Post by r4nd0m »

Nice Guitars Tsuken. I've been avoiding the new Ibanezes for a long time. My 8 year old was promised a new guitar of his own for Christmas and he chose the S470DXQM - beautiful guitar. I've been avoiding MusicWorks for a few months now, but he broke a string and I'll have to take it in for a restring (I know nothing about those FR trems) and I hope I don't walk out with a new Ibanez for myself :)

johnny mullet
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by johnny mullet »

Great taste Tsuken. Shocking pink with a fringe on the neck could be your '80's look :wink:

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

Seeing as nobody asked for it, here's a rough breakdown of the raz collection as it stands at the moment.

Acoustic Bass - recent
Bought as a basketcase which I reglued the fretboard and fixed up. Fun
Danelectro 56Pro - mid 90's Korean reissue
My pick for one of the best cheap guitars on the market. They shouldn't sound this good but they do. The neck is real nice and the lipstick pickups are vibrant. I love the primitiveness of the bridge.
Eko 12 string - 60's
I learnt to play on one like this. Built like a brick shithouse.
Eko 700 4V - '62
Triple cutaway with formica plated body and 4 pickups. Eyetalian retro chic. Surf guitar from hell.
Epiphone '58 Korina Flying V resissue
Couldn't resist. Nicely put together and sounds great now I've changed the pickups to SD. IMO the closest thing I'll ever be able to afford to a real '58 Korina V
Fender 1987 Strat Plus
You gotta have one. I'm not a big strat fan, but for some things only a strat will do it.
Fenton Weill Dualmaster
Very early British electric, small body and one piece neck/body. Plays like butter. Strong pickups and one of my real finds.
Framus Star Bass
Very small scale. It's soooo cute. Big sound as well. Women feel drawn to it.
Gretsch '60 Clipper
My personal fave. Low budget gretsch designed as a student model, but sounds and plays exquisitely. I'm currently running a Dearmond silverfoil pickup in the bridge and it gets that Neil Young grungey gretsch tone bang on.
Gretsch 65 AstroJet
The ultimate gumby headstock. Pre baldwin Gretsch solidbody with Supertron pickups. Unique. Some of you Aucklanders may even get to meet him, as i'm sending him up to Ash for a refinish (idiot previous owner sanded it back to wood)
Gretsch Tennessean 1962 6119
Sublime. Not a reissue and the most valuable gat in the stable. I'm a bit scared to take this other places to play as it's in pristine condition and if anybody ever hurt it I would cry.
Hagstrom Corvette 1967
Sixties silliness with vegematic buttons for pickup selection. Beautiful body construction with set neck.
Hagstrom H12 12 string
Jingle Jangle, love it, but I'm tempted to flip the bridge saddles and cut a new nut to restring it Ric style with bass string first. Lovely to play and distinctive sound.
Hagstrom H8 8 string
A classic, and unique bass sound. Superb player. Listen to Hendrix on "Spanish castle Magic" for an example of the tone.
Hagstrom II '67
The classic hag of the 60's with the pencil thin, "world's fastest neck". Lot of fun.
Hagstrom IIN '75
70's Hag solidbody with humbuckers. Personal fave, and a great player.
Hagstrom Scanbass '78
Hag version of a fender jazz bass.
Hagstrom Swede Late 70's
Hag's answer to the Les Paul, except their one is heavier (!!!!) Sustain to the max. This IMO outperforms most Gibson Les Pauls I've tried.
Hagstrom Viking 1968
Lovely birch thinline semi-acoustic. Also a weirdo, it has the electronics and humbuckers of the 70s Vikings but it's 4 years earlier and has the 60s pencil thin neck. One of a single batch made and I know of maybe half a dozen others in the world.
Harmony Cremona II c. 1938
Bought as a junk shop special, needs some serious work, but has tone to die for. Classic pre WWII archtop.
Harmony H19 1965
Harmony's top of the line answer to the Fender Jag. Short scale with Dearmond single coils. Lots of fun.
Harmony H49 1964
Another top of the line Harmony, body construction like a Hofner Club with those Dearmond single coils. Waiting for this one to arrive.
Harmony H75 1960
Big single piece maple semi with Dearmond maximum Goldfoil pickups. Hard edge blues monster.
Hofner 172 1965
Work in progress. White vinyl with black back - hunting down some bits to restore it.
Hofner 173 1963
Work in progress. Black vinyl with gold leaves and vines engraving - hunting down some bits to restore it.
Hofner Verithin 1964
These are lovely. Big sound for what could be the world's thinnest hollow body (1" thick)

Oh and I can't forget my homemade dreadnought acoustic. I sweated over this and I know every mistake I made in making it... but it sounds and feels great to me. Good treble and strong bass, with nice definition.
Last edited by raz on Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Raz, that's a hell of a collection of things I'm sure no-one else here has. Well done, mate!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

nice collection Raz. all you need now is something like a tele and a LP and you've covered everything!

..and a nice pointy guitar.. oh you have a V :D

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

angry_young_poet wrote:nice collection Raz. all you need now is something like a tele and a LP and you've covered everything!

..and a nice pointy guitar.. oh you have a V :D
I don't feel I need a LP as the Hag Swede fits the bill so nicely. Not so much a clone as a competitor to Gibson.

The V's name is Mr Pointy :)

But yes a Tele is one style I am missing. I'm tempted to make my own with a nice piece of swamp ash and one thing I'd like to change is the neck pickup - I have in mind a p90 type pickup for there, ala Steve Marriot when he was in the Small Faces. The tone he got was monster.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

raz wrote:Nice bunch of guitars Tsuken. Bit too pointy for my taste but nice.
pointy? :? The Warlock's the only pointy one ;)

You've got a hell of a collection there :shock:

Here be bloggins

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Post by Bg »

raz wrote:The V's name is Mr Pointy :)
snap ;) Though mine is about to be battered into pointy submission. I paid a visit to Ash this afternoon to assess the viability of the Westone Pantera I picked up for next to nothing. In the process I came away with a nice mahogony blank and reverse headstock neck - perfect to build a nice bit of pointy pr0n :D Watch this space :eek:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

Woahhhh, Raz, nice lot of guitars. Well heres my latest, arrived Monday (and its pointy in a nice kind of way) Harmony Rebel circa 1968-70

Image[/img]

johnny mullet
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by johnny mullet »

Not my thing but looks like a quality machine. Very nice.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Clarky wrote:My '90 Washburn KC-70V & '99 ESP M-100 LTD.

That Washburn looks exactly like my brother's first guitar, even down to the edging on the cutaways not quite having enough finish so the pearl-effect disappears. You buy it new or 2nd-hand?
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

heres my PRS... complete with my **WOWRARECOLLECTABLE** aftermarket "get the soundtech to find another goddamn round of drinks" mod

(written upside down so you can quickly and flip it mid solo :)