No Suhrprise to anyone - but here it is!

Lets all drool over your stuff :)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 1396 times

Re: No Suhrprise to anyone - but here it is!

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Headstock appears fine to me based on my strict criteria.
1. Has holes where tuning gizmos reside
2. Is attached to distal end of neck

mttn3
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by mttn3 »

The back of the body and neck are a nice colour too.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

mttn3 wrote:The back of the body and neck are a nice colour too.
I think so too - they help offset the extremely aggressively red front.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

The best Suhr I've ever played was a vintage style tele. And it was glorious. I think it was made shortly after John Suhr had left Fender CS in 97.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Post by Slowy »

Meh. Don't understand the headstock hate either. That's just one exceptional Ferrari of a guitar. Pity it would laugh at me if I tried to play it.
Happy NGD, Ed. Frikken Awesome!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

Scooter13 wrote:The best Suhr I've ever played was a vintage style tele. And it was glorious. I think it was made shortly after John Suhr had left Fender CS in 97.
Yeah, I played a butterscotch one like that in Mojosound in Welly and I don't reckon I've played its equal since. A friend of mine has a P-90 loaded Suhr tele and it's utterly epic.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

I'm pretty amazed at the price/quality debate going on over there.

I'll be the first one to say there are some manufacturers that have "past participle of get" their build quality amazing at low price points.....
But that does NOT make them live in the same ballpark as Suhr / PRS / Music Man et al. I'm sorry it just doesn't. A top shelf guitar gets significantly more time spent on the bits that count (fretwork, correct finishing, setup geometry etc.), they are more picky about their wood supply and use higher quality hardware.

Even without knowing that - when you pick up a top shelf guitar it's usually pretty apparent on the first strum where the extra $$ have gone.

Sure, it's definitely diminishing returns..... a $4,500 may not be "3 times" as good as a $1,500 guitar (how do you even measure that).......but it'll be better. For sure.

Suhr make outstanding guitars. Period.
A new Suhr is in the US$2,500 ballpark - let's say NZ$4,500 (converted at $0.65 with GST)
I'll challenge anyone to name a guitar with a new price of $2,250 (half of $4,500) that will be as good as a Suhr.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2503 times
Been liked: 2821 times

Post by Molly »

If there's any further doubt, watch this wee vid from the PRS factory:

At 3.30: "If I had to I could probably make a guitar neck in a day ... The reality is, it takes us about a month to make a neck."

At 5.30. Look at the neck fit process. No Gibson shims needed here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mA6UVS-PWc[/youtube]

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Slowy wrote:Meh. Don't understand the headstock hate either. That's just one exceptional Ferrari of a guitar. Pity it would laugh at me if I tried to play it.
I think you'd rather like it actually. It's very much a Strat-style neck rather than a flat, wide shredder profile.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2503 times
Been liked: 2821 times

Post by Molly »

slash-ed wrote:
Slowy wrote:Meh. Don't understand the headstock hate either. That's just one exceptional Ferrari of a guitar. Pity it would laugh at me if I tried to play it.
I think you'd rather like it actually. It's very much a Strat-style neck rather than a flat, wide shredder profile.
Would it be vulgar to ask what it cost? How are second-hand Suhr prices compared to second-hand PRS prices? Guessing higher since there's less of them about?

borge
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by borge »

Molly wrote:If there's any further doubt, watch this wee vid from the PRS factory:

To me that screams 'Our QC is abysmal so we have to make parts oversized then sand them to fit' :grump:

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Molly wrote:
slash-ed wrote:
Would it be vulgar to ask what it cost? How are second-hand Suhr prices compared to second-hand PRS prices? Guessing higher since there's less of them about?
Or lower because there is less demand?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7907 times
Been liked: 4256 times

Post by jeremyb »

borge wrote:
Molly wrote:If there's any further doubt, watch this wee vid from the PRS factory:

To me that screams 'Our QC is abysmal so we have to make parts oversized then sand them to fit' :grump:
Maybe if you were working with aluminium, one of my friends is the general manager of an engineering firm that does high end cnc work, they can make things accurate to within 1000ths of a millimeter, but wood is way more prone to changes with temperature and moisture, and people have this obsession with handmade instruments, but it's perfectly normal for woodworkers to sand to fit on high end items.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

borge
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by borge »

jeremyb wrote:
borge wrote:

Maybe if you were working with aluminium, one of my friends is the general manager of an engineering firm that does high end cnc work, they can make things accurate to within 1000ths of a millimeter, but wood is way more prone to changes with temperature and moisture, and people have this obsession with handmade instruments, but it's perfectly normal for woodworkers to sand to fit on high end items.
Yeah, I've built a couple guitars. A photo of an unglued neck joint tight enough to hold the body up is pretty much obligatory on guitar building forums. Sanding to fit is cheating IMO/E - the routing template is too small or in PRS's case the CNC programming needs work. A solid interference fit is much easier with wood than metals, wood is soft :D

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

This thread is astounding me.

First it was "you can get a guitar as good as this Suhr for half the price"

Now it's "me and my forum buddies know how to make better guitars than PRS"

Speechless.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox