dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

My New Tubey: WARNING! Peavey inside!

Post by dayl »

Well, I thought I would maybe lower the bar a little from all the ace gear you guys are showing off, and take a moment to display my latest acquisition.

I basically have never owned a tube amp, I had an old Jansen on very long term loan many years ago but never one of my own. Seeing as I'm on a really tight budget with family soaking up a lot of my hard earned not to mention Guitar Parts continually calling me back; I thought that my tube tone taste would never be satisfied by my solid state budget.

So finally after not being able to order one of those cheap ass crates and failing on many auctions, I have finally managed to get this:
An 87 Peavey Triumph Ultra Gain. 60 Watts
Powered by 2x 6L6GC's with a 12AX7 Driver in the Power amp and 3x 12AX7's and 1x 12AT7 in the pre.

I am still new to tube amps so this was a bit of a stab, but she is in perfect working order and just needs a cab upgrade and a little bit of pretty added..and a re tube once I learn about all the diff brand tonalities/combo's etc.
All up, incl postage & ins, should be just over $300NZD to my door :) not too bad from what I've seen.

Which leads to the question, do any of you guys have any decent tube amp links? so I can read up and learn a little more?

Yeah its ugly..and Peavey. But suits my budget and I have had no drama's with PV's before.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Re: My New Tubey: WARNING! Peavey inside!

Post by crushing day »

Cool!.. i used to have a Triumph PAG 60 .. the later model 3 channel version. I don't know a lot about the earlier models, but the one i had gave me some of the best recorded tones that i have been happy with. I believe the Triumphs were part of the same family as the Ultra's, which became the Triple XXX's :)

Shouldn't have sold it really. Went to a 5150 combo after that, which was arse in retrospect :?
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

good score :D
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

Looks kinda sexy under the hood, eh?
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

I heard some br00tals out of those on you tube when I was considering one on TM a while ago ( a faulty one I was half assed thinking of getting as a repair project but decided I'd probably either never finish it or blow myself up ). Peavey owners unite !
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Post by Bg »

nice, can't beat an amp with lots of tubes :) Should be as gainey as my Laney :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

oh and heres my favourite valve amp site http://www.vintageamps.com/va/index.html be struggling to find a Peavey there possibly, but you never know!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

oh and you might find this one of use, got a Peavey Triumph schematic in there

http://schematicheaven.com/post70s.htm

edit: looks like the right schematic too, ultra gain 60/120 :)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

oh and heres a cracker I forgot about http://www.ax84.com/