matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: so how much do you drive?

Post by matman »

tonymcbony wrote:I'm having a drive crisis.
After all my umming and ahhing, I've found that the best drive pedal I've got is my hotcake. It's always on, mostly as a fantastic crunchy punch or boosting the snot out of something else.

I've been really dissatisfied with my other drives though. My big box rat just isn't my cup of tea in a band setting (at home it's t3h awesome!), and the Dirty Little Secret is just not doing what I want to hear; eg, the sound I want to hear is invariably the hotcake, but I've had times where the DLS has just fit like a glove in a band setting.

So I'm loving my hotcake to pieces (now theres a 180 for ya :D) happyish with my DLS, and less happy with my Big Box Rat for the tones I want in my band.

I'm thinking of replacing the Rat with a Catalinbread Scod to get the meaty high gain tones.
Any suggestions here? Do you think the SCOD would be a great substitute for the Rat?
What is it about the DLS that you don't like? I'm just asking because I'd been semi-GASsing for one.
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 675 times
Been liked: 574 times

Post by TmcB »

They're well worth it!
The DLS works wonderfully through the sovtek (bassman clone).
Ac30's are particularly picky about their pedals due to their hefty mid hump so getting pedals that fit can be a bit tough.

There's not a thing wrong with the DLS; it kicks ass. My main prob is making sure I use the right pedal for the right sound - trying to get the DLS to do a massive JCM800 on steroids thing won't happen unless you're pushing it with other pedals. I'm being a bit tough on the DLS though, its more I'm needing to place it properly in the rig. The hotcake is set and forget rocky good times so it's spoiling me a little.

I keep wanting it to have a little more grunt, but if you got a new DLS off ryan, you'd be getting a v2 that has a switch to go from mild to grunty on the inside.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by matman »

I've been mentally toying with the idea of adding one of a hotcake, DLS, or crunch box to my burgeoning pedal collection...but then I wonder if I really need them when I already have the Jekyll and Hyde and am on Rocky's waiting list for a bsiab. Still don't have a reverb, tuner, or a noise gate but they just aren't as sexy as things that go crunch, whooo, or wail!
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 675 times
Been liked: 574 times

Post by TmcB »

matman wrote:I've been mentally toying with the idea of adding one of a hotcake, DLS, or crunch box to my burgeoning pedal collection...but then I wonder if I really need them when I already have the Jekyll and Hyde and am on Rocky's waiting list for a bsiab. Still don't have a reverb, tuner, or a noise gate but they just aren't as sexy as things that go crunch, whooo, or wail!
Okay,

hotcake: great as a clean boost, nice buffer, punchy, gritty, sucks after 12 o clock on drive (don't worry; PLENTY of goodness before then)
DLS: A more airy g2d Classic, JCM 800 tones (tight bass, higher gain)/plexi tones (bigger bass, lower gain) on a switch, loves to be pushed by other pedals
Crunchbox: one trick pony but an awesome trick! JCM800 tones on steroids, you'll play acdc all day until you notice that's all you really play with it, can be a bit hit or miss in band situations

I'd definitely wait for the bsiab but if you needed a good crunchy pedal, I'd go DLS first (versatile, sounds awesome) Hotcake, then crunchbox. Unless you're running an ac30, then get the HC first, DLS second. I think you'll be pretty sorted with the J&K though
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

JstaR
Stagg
Stagg

Post by JstaR »

What do the Super charged ODs go like??

been toying with the idea of getting one just for a different sound with my ac30

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

ash wrote:Pakehendrix was describing someone's tone once... as "a can of wasps, but there were only two wasps in the can".

I lol'd :lol:
That tone is currently haunting my bedroom :( I can't wait for new speakers!

Seriously though, if that was about who I think it was, his tone has not improved one iota, despite many gigs...do punters not NOTICE?!

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

JstaR wrote:What do the Super charged ODs go like??

been toying with the idea of getting one just for a different sound with my ac30
Imagine a forestry-grade chainsaw, housed in a pedal. Subtle it's not, but I love mine, it's great for over-the-top moments in Luger Boa songs.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

JstaR
Stagg
Stagg

Post by JstaR »

awesome, sounds like it would make for some epic pinch harmonics at random unexpected times :{D

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

mmmmmmm...

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 859 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Since you mention the G-man, here's what drives my rig:

It's a circuit clone of Rory's Hawk booster as used mid seventies & beyond, he used it in conjunction with brownface Fender & Marshall combo. It's an effect that history ignored & left behind, 18 volt power supply, treble boost & 3 band EQ. Resurrected Lazarus style by Stevie Flynn http://www.flynnamps.co.uk/hawk.html .

This thing packs a powerful punch, as much as 10v hitting the frontend of amp, I run it all the time - you simply can't switch it in & out without getting a huge volume drop but it's massively responsive to touch & cleans up beauty with guitar volume control. Like taming a wild horse & I'm still getting the hang of it, would help if I had Rory's virtuoso ability but it's fun trying.

See in the amps section under title 'Too much boost?'...
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

my heads been messed up. gonna do more shoot outs tomorrow. i just sold off my guitar so im wondering if i still need a guitar board =)