GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1389 times
Been liked: 2133 times

Rock N Roll looks like.....

Post by GrantB »

This!

Scary great rock n roll tones from this combo yesterday. The BB's in the R7 into the lo input of the trem channel sounded like early brit rock.

As a side note the 12AX7 test was interesting although I found it difficult to be totally objective and "remember tone".

Findings or views - Tung Sol RI's were the brightest of the bunch and the best for this Marshall. NOS Sylvania short plates were next and then the Mullard RI's and last the JJ 83s - I found that last tube to be dark and dull. Of course every tube has it's own characteristics so the above may not represent that tube on the whole. But the Tung Sols in my Top Hat and in the Mrshall work very well. No more $ on NOS for me.
Attachments
RnR.jpg
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Rock N Roll looks like.....

Post by Hot_Grits »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Scary great rock n roll tones from this combo yesterday. The BB's in the R7 into the lo input of the trem channel sounded like early brit rock.

As a side note the 12AX7 test was interesting although I found it difficult to be totally objective and "remember tone".

Findings or views - Tung Sol RI's were the brightest of the bunch and the best for this Marshall. NOS Sylvania short plates were next and then the Mullard RI's and last the JJ 83s - I found that last tube to be dark and dull. Of course every tube has it's own characteristics so the above may not represent that tube on the whole. But the Tung Sols in my Top Hat and in the Mrshall work very well. No more $ on NOS for me.
That's not a weird result: most new designs from any amp manufacturer are designed with currently available new tubes in mind. Good sounds good...
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Benrocky
Gibson

Post by Benrocky »

*UNIQUE* wrote: No more $ on NOS for me.
Why is this hard to believe :mrgreen:
RuBear wrote:
You mean that it's ME that's responsible for you coming here? I'm feel sincerely guilty for putting the rest of you sods through the experience that is Benrocky.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/69250680@N07/

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Benrocky wrote:
Why is this hard to believe
Harsh, but fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Post by Slowy »

Interesting feedback, thanks. Not surprised at your impression of the JJ's. In my experience, they make good EL84's & GREAT 6V6's, but their pre amp tubes are a bit dull. Plug an old, bright Strat into the Marshall and you might like them a bit more.
When experimenting , I have often noticed a huge change just by swapping out the V1 preamp tube. In my little 12 watt head, V1 & V2 are both supposedly identical British made Mullard ECC83's, but one way round sounds way better than the other.
The LP / Marshall pic is bringing on a bad attack of GAS ...... sooooo beautifulll...... I want..... I need.... mine!!! :twisted:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Unique, are those Bluesbreaker Reissues? They certainly look dead cool.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

18 watt 1974x combo and the extension speaker. Handwired version RI. Un freakin believable tone!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3992 times

Post by Bg »

Indeed it does.... Gibson and Marshall, it doesn't get any better than that ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

slowfingers wrote:Interesting feedback, thanks. Not surprised at your impression of the JJ's. In my experience, they make good EL84's & GREAT 6V6's, but their pre amp tubes are a bit dull. Plug an old, bright Strat into the Marshall and you might like them a bit more.
When experimenting , I have often noticed a huge change just by swapping out the V1 preamp tube. In my little 12 watt head, V1 & V2 are both supposedly identical British made Mullard ECC83's, but one way round sounds way better than the other.
The LP / Marshall pic is bringing on a bad attack of GAS ...... sooooo beautifulll...... I want..... I need.... mine!!!
Mmm I found their 6v6's to be too rounded sounding, almost like a 6L6. I always tend to go to old 6V6's. But still they are clean and tonefull. Just different to my ears.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

*UNIQUE* wrote:18 watt 1974x combo and the extension speaker. Handwired version RI. Un freakin believable tone!

Love the little handwireds. Gotta turn it up loud.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

I would love to do a tube swap on a few amps. But my fear of putting my hands into the back of any electrical device prevents me. :(

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7909 times
Been liked: 4258 times

Post by jeremyb »

I really like the look of those Marshalls, would almost sway me away from a Fender :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Rock n F'n Roll. That setup looks great.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

Sexy gold top 8)

You jam in a warehouse? That's pretty boss.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Yeah. We got a couple of warehouses in Hamilton we can use. Very priviledged to be able to do so. No noises issues and nice big open spaces for the tone to expand in. I keep most of my gear in our small one. You'd need a tank to break into it.