Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Re: Show Us Your Guitar

Post by Starfire »

robthemac wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:57 am
Starfire wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:18 pm
IMOCD wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:36 pm That's doing nowt for quelling my JM G.A.S. Very nice.
There's a '62 AVRI on TradeMe. Seems a reasonable price if you can live with black and a bit of wear.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=kMyfZuBn
Why do AVRIs not wear Fender's CS guitars if they're theoretically the same nitro?
Why do they not wear the same? I can't say I'm terribly familiar with how a CS guitar wears (most of them seem to come pre-relic'd anyway). Nor have I retained all the detail about AVRI finishes. But even the AVRI finishes have differed over the years. The 'Pure Vintage' reissues of a number of years ago were all nitro 'flash coat', I think, while the American Originals like mine apparently have a poly basecoat, which I think is 'correct' for a mid-'60s Fender, if such a thing matters on a guitar that's kind of a mish-mash of '60s features and has an 'incorrect' fingerboard radius anyway. Not sure how the '62RIs were finished. But I suspect there's a similar variation going on with the CS guitars. Possibly they do the thin 'flash coat' thing since I imagine most owners of CS guitars are hoping they'll start to wear and look like an old one quickly.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

Nice to have the opportunity to meet Lawrence earlier today. Top bloke :)
Attachments
C1B491C6-3BFF-4E39-AA57-4AFFA89B5C8C.jpeg
C1B491C6-3BFF-4E39-AA57-4AFFA89B5C8C.jpeg (3.92 MiB) Viewed 1880 times
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1420 times

Post by robthemac »

MiniForklift wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:42 am
robthemac wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:57 am Why do AVRIs not wear Fender's CS guitars if they're theoretically the same nitro?
Where do the AVRI lines sit in comparison to their others, somewhere in the middle? Often see them crop up but admit I don’t know a lot about them
Middle-to-high end. Somewhere above an American Standard, below a Custom Shop, angling for a different buyer than the American Deluxe.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Starfire wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:56 am
robthemac wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:57 am
Starfire wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:18 pm

There's a '62 AVRI on TradeMe. Seems a reasonable price if you can live with black and a bit of wear.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=kMyfZuBn
Why do AVRIs not wear Fender's CS guitars if they're theoretically the same nitro?
Why do they not wear the same? I can't say I'm terribly familiar with how a CS guitar wears (most of them seem to come pre-relic'd anyway). Nor have I retained all the detail about AVRI finishes. But even the AVRI finishes have differed over the years. The 'Pure Vintage' reissues of a number of years ago were all nitro 'flash coat', I think, while the American Originals like mine apparently have a poly basecoat, which I think is 'correct' for a mid-'60s Fender, if such a thing matters on a guitar that's kind of a mish-mash of '60s features and has an 'incorrect' fingerboard radius anyway. Not sure how the '62RIs were finished. But I suspect there's a similar variation going on with the CS guitars. Possibly they do the thin 'flash coat' thing since I imagine most owners of CS guitars are hoping they'll start to wear and look like an old one quickly.
Custom Shop finishes are a lot thinner, they tend to crack and flake off, but don't tend to get those plasticky dents. You're probably right in that being period correct for mid-60s.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MiniForklift »

robthemac wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:03 pm Middle-to-high end. Somewhere above an American Standard, below a Custom Shop, angling for a different buyer than the American Deluxe.
Cheers Rob, that’s nice and clear :thumbup:

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

MiniForklift wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:40 pm
robthemac wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:03 pm Middle-to-high end. Somewhere above an American Standard, below a Custom Shop, angling for a different buyer than the American Deluxe.
That's relative to the mid-2000s era Fender lineup. I get confused about American Original, American Performer etc....

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

robthemac wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:47 pm
MiniForklift wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:40 pm
That's relative to the mid-2000s era Fender lineup. I get confused about American Original, American Performer etc....
American Original is the current vintage-style line, of which my JM Is one. They’re not exactly a reissue of a specific year, and don’t have vintage radius or frets. I think the line is now discontinued as it’s about due for a refresh.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 378 times

Post by Dharmajester »

The return to thin finish nitro etc has happened gradually since Fender realised there was more interest in reproduction than innovation.
I've had a couple of early Custom Shop 50's reissues from the mid 90's with hideously thick poly finishes. Great guitars but hamstrung by the tonal imapact of the finish. Also AVRI's from 2005 ish with similar. I'm not a fan of relics per se but to my ears they sound considerably better thanks to the thin or absent finishes.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Dharmajester wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:44 pm The return to thin finish nitro etc has happened gradually since Fender realised there was more interest in reproduction than innovation.
I've had a couple of early Custom Shop 50's reissues from the mid 90's with hideously thick poly finishes. Great guitars but hamstrung by the tonal imapact of the finish. Also AVRI's from 2005 ish with similar. I'm not a fan of relics per se but to my ears they sound considerably better thanks to the thin or absent finishes.
Yeah my CS Strat was horrifically thick poly. It's now much thinner nitro and I'm so much happier!

I suspect the use different paint formulations for dinner lines within the CS range, even in the modern era. I remember the Custom Classic line being really hard, plasticky 'nitro' that didn't wear well at all. Whereas the higher-end CS instruments were so damn soft and fragile, even the Time Machine, non-reliced ones.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Yep, my 92 Fender Custom Shop 65 RI has thick poly. Haven't noticed tonal issues, but I'm a bit cloth eared.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MiniForklift »

My 1990 Strat has pretty thick poly but sounds awesome. I’m sure it would sound even better if I stripped it with a heat gun

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 378 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Really thick poly needs a heatgun and it's surprising just how thick the finish that comes off actually is. If it's a less plastic finish you can take it down gradually using Naptha ( Colemans camping stove fuel ).
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Dharmajester wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:21 pm Really thick poly needs a heatgun and it's surprising just how thick the finish that comes off actually is.
True. I once peeled a Tele like an orange.

standardfour
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by standardfour »

I have an AVRI Strat that I had hoped would gather an aged nitro finish but if anything you can just feel a thin nitro top coat floating on a poly base coat. The nitro feels good, it’s tactile and gathers scuffs but they buff out and then you have a new guitar again…which is fine, but if you want a natural relic it’s still gonna’ take you years of good honest use.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

standardfour wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:16 pm if you want a natural relic it’s still gonna’ take you years of good honest use.
Ain't nobody got time for that.