Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Re: Show Us Your Guitar

Post by bender »

Slowy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:46 pm Tl:Dr?
Don't plug it in until you've done a pickup swap.
Oh man, that’s a bummer. I thought they’d improved the WRHB re-issue, but your description is exactly my experience of them from 15 years ago.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

bender wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:31 am
Oh man, that’s a bummer. I thought they’d improved the WRHB re-issue, but your description is exactly my experience of them from 15 years ago.
I spent the better part of an hour twiddling, swapping amps and thinking there was something wrong with my ears. I found sounds that weren't as bad as others but nothing I'd want to use. Switching to an Indonesian G&L Bluesboy was a relief.

But I really like the guitar (not the price) and pickips are an easy mod.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Slowy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:53 am
I spent the better part of an hour twiddling, swapping amps and thinking there was something wrong with my ears. I found sounds that weren't as bad as others but nothing I'd want to use. Switching to an Indonesian G&L Bluesboy was a relief.

A good WRHB is a thing of beauty.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

bender wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:58 pm

I have a Tele body, and I’m looking out for one (or two) WRHB for it. Does not need to be original, there are some good replicas available now.

Here’s my question: do they actually need to be so wide? The slots on my Tele are standard HB size, will I really notice the difference if I get a slightly slimmer WRHB?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:06 pm

I have a Tele body, and I’m looking out for one (or two) WRHB for it. Does not need to be original, there are some good replicas available now.

Here’s my question: do they actually need to be so wide? The slots on my Tele are standard HB size, will I really notice the difference if I get a slightly slimmer WRHB?
https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/cust ... ments.html

Maybe the Baby 71?
And on YT, I believe I did hear a difference.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

I would imagine that the size will have an impact, but the HB sized ones like what Slowy suggested will be worth a punt for sure.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:17 pm

Maybe the Baby 71?
Exactly, I was looking at those, and these: https://www.madlovepickups.com/product/ ... bIQAvD_BwE

How much of a difference? Worth reaming out a perfectly good hole for?

Edit, I just noticed that the bigger ones are wound hotter, so that's a confounding variable.

Ben, what say you?

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

So you cats are sayin'/writin' that the Fender reissued WRHBs are not to the same spec as the 70's originals? Huh, no shit! I swallowed the jit...thought they were true to spec, CuNiFe threaded rod magnets, the full 11 different herbs and spices shizzle. I think I posted the press release of Fender releasing a WR spec in SC and jazzmaster style form factors...I'm a dumb!

Here's an interesting link to Curtis Novak pups. Could be a cheaper? way to mod or get close to a WRHB sound...maybe?

https://www.curtisnovak.com/shop/widera ... ker-parts/

Oh, and yes...the original WRHB is totally different beast to a PAF style HB. Much wider in range (you don't say) with mid eq clarity and clean tops. My '74 Starcaster and my buddies '75 Thinline are like girthy, chimey brothers from other mothers.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

clubhouse wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:54 pm So you cats are sayin'/writin' that the Fender reissued WRHBs are not to the same spec as the 70's originals? Huh, no shit! I swallowed the jit...thought they were true to spec, CuNiFe threaded rod magnets, the full 11 different herbs and spices shizzle. I think I posted the press release of Fender releasing a WR spec in SC and jazzmaster style form factors...I'm a dumb!

Here's an interesting link to Curtis Novak pups. Could be a cheaper? way to mod or get close to a WRHB sound...maybe?

https://www.curtisnovak.com/shop/widera ... ker-parts/

Those magnet replacements are cool. I wonder if they are enough to get the sound? I've got some spare HBs I could mod...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:44 pm 20230815_200355.jpg20230815_200430.jpg

Go on, tell me you've played one of these....
That actually doesn't offend me, apart from the cheesy looking bridge, but thats an easy fix...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Starfire »

clubhouse wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:54 pm So you cats are sayin'/writin' that the Fender reissued WRHBs are not to the same spec as the 70's originals? Huh, no shit! I swallowed the jit...thought they were true to spec, CuNiFe threaded rod magnets, the full 11 different herbs and spices shizzle. I think I posted the press release of Fender releasing a WR spec in SC and jazzmaster style form factors...I'm a dumb!
Fender started making ‘proper’ CuNiFe WRHBs again maybe a couple of years ago, but for many years the reissue ‘WRHBs’ were basically ordinary HBs in WRHB clothing, from what I understand. Sounds like those earlier reissues are what's in this weird Strat thing.

Earlier this year, Fender released a bunch of different pickups using CuNiFe, which I think is what that press release you’re referring to was about.

I’d love to give the proper reissues a go, but they’re about $600 a set. I recall playing a ‘70s Tele Custom years ago and ally enjoying the WRHB in that.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:45 pm
Slowy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:17 pm

Maybe the Baby 71?
Exactly, I was looking at those, and these: https://www.madlovepickups.com/product/ ... bIQAvD_BwE

How much of a difference? Worth reaming out a perfectly good hole for?

Edit, I just noticed that the bigger ones are wound hotter, so that's a confounding variable.

Ben, what say you?
I think that if you’re trying to exactly match a vintage WRHB tone that you’ve heard, you’ll need a full sized one. If you are after something that has the same basic character, is 90% there, and are fussed on it being exact, then the standard HB sized one from a reputable maker (I’d trust Novak for sure) will be absolutely fine. There will be a difference, but it’s likely to be subtle, and probably no more than the difference you’re likely to hear between different manufacturers.

I really liked the Jazzmaster sized ones I’ve heard- they’re not quite the same, but they’re absolutely in the ballpark.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Matsuoka.jpeg
Matsuoka.jpeg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 5342 times
I've been playing mostly acoustic guitar lately but I'm afraid my Forum credibility has hit a new low. I'm really enjoying the sound of my very heavily played Matsuoka M50. The neck is a challenge; it's wide and the fretboard is flat which is demanding to say the least but the sound! From Canon in D by Pachebel to some swampy blues, it's big, clear and punchy and very satisfying.

I bang on a bit about my love of good guitars that have had a long, hard working life and this is another example. Can't recall seeing fretwear on a Nylon string before but what a dynamic voice it has.
If only the fretboard wasn't such a pig.....

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:30 pm

I've been playing mostly acoustic guitar lately but I'm afraid my Forum credibility has hit a new low. I'm really enjoying the sound of my very heavily played Matsuoka M50. The neck is a challenge; it's wide and the fretboard is flat which is demanding to say the least but the sound! From Canon in D by Pachebel to some swampy blues, it's big, clear and punchy and very satisfying.

I bang on a bit about my love of good guitars that have had a long, hard working life and this is another example. Can't recall seeing fretwear on a Nylon string before but what a dynamic voice it has.
I love the fact that this guitar looks like it has been lost at sea. But I can confirm it has a huge tone, and also that it is a pig to play.

Does it have a truss rod? If so, I wonder if the neck could be slimmed? (Just a little, I know skinny necks are not your thing.)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:25 pm
Slowy wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:30 pm

I love the fact that this guitar looks like it has been lost at sea. But I can confirm it has a huge tone, and also that it is a pig to play.

Does it have a truss rod? If so, I wonder if the neck could be slimmed? (Just a little, I know skinny necks are not your thing.)
I've wondered about narrowing the neck but if I was going to do that, the cost would go some way towards a Godin.....

And that photo is quite flattering compared to the reality. :lol: