Polar Bear
Burns BHM
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

NFD!

Post by Polar Bear »

New Firebird day!

So as briefly mentioned in another thread, I had the pleasure of receiving a new Firebird on Friday, for the princely sum of $439 plus the pleasure of a quick blast in the Alfa over the Rimatakas to Masterton.

It's a Tokai, and I'm pretty sure it's an FB53, although I can't confirm that. It came with easily the oldest, most encrusted strings I've ever seen, so those were swiftly removed, to avoid Tetanus, and whatever flavour of finger AIDS is floating around Masterton currently. It also came with an SKB hardcase, with the rather impressive lockdown clips, modified from an explorer shape. It works awesomely, except it didn't have a handle on it. I've put an old suitcase handle on it for now, may look at doing something a bit more permanent down the track, but it does the trick for now.

Here, have a perve:

So, after a good couple of days with it.

Pros:

It's a freakin' Firebird!!!
Sits really nicely, no pronounced neckdive
Good Weight
Suits my monkey arms nicely
Pretty decent sounding bridge pickup, especially for stock
Despite actually being quite small, the neck is really nice, good C profile, fits my hand well
It's a Firebird!

Cons:

The dreaded Tokai nut. Yep, rattly and tight at once, not sure how they managed that. It could do with being replaced I suspect. Really effects the acoustic sound, and in turn will no doubt effect the plugged in sound. It sounds choked unplugged. Also, goes out of tune a lot.

As previously mentioned, once the neck pickup is introduced, sounds as if the neck tone pot is turned off, and won't turn back on. Have included a picture above, that is probably too blurry to really be able to see if there's anything glaringly obvious.

Jack was crackly, have fixed that though

Pickup switch was loose and moving all over the place, but have also fixed that, however have attached a dodgy picture above to see if it's causing any issue with the above problem.

Somewhat annoyingly,and I've never noticed it before, but the edges of the neck seem really sharp, they're definitely not rolled. No doubt I'll have to play the balls off it to get them rounded down a bit.

The tuners. Yep, they look a bit bung as one is crooked, and they are a bit loose, as in there's play before they take up the slack. I like the shape, and am hoping that nut replacement will sort the tuning issues.

Despite the long list of faults, I'm really digging it. It has an awesome vibe about it, and it's so much fun to pick up. It sits really nicely in between the Gretsch and the Burns tone wise, with the Gretsch being a bit janglier, the Burns, in humbucking mode, a bit fatter and darker. So all up, awesome guitar, and will get better as the niggling faults are rectified. :D
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Re: NFD!

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Looks super cool, great price! Dibs.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Disappointed, I thought from the title that you might have got a new FACEEE
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7928 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

Awesome! 8)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1395 times
Been liked: 2137 times

Post by GrantB »

slash-ed wrote:Disappointed, I thought from the title that you might have got a new FACEEE
Or maybe a new bit on the side?

Nice 'bird. The sharp neck edge you talk about is evident on most Gibsons also (thinner newck variety). It's a "feature" don't you know?! Ironically the 1964 Firebird V upwards had a fat neck.

Forget about playing that sharpness down....get the guitar to Simcha or someone and have them razor scrape the (binding) profile to something more acceptable. You'll immediately notice a difference.

Great colour!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

I know what you mean by the Tokai nut.

Awesome. Bust a Foo's riff for us.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Post by Slowy »

Because you live in Wellington, is that horizontal post all that remains of your fence?

Happy NGD, PB :thumbup:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 683 times
Been liked: 578 times

Post by TmcB »

slash-ed wrote:Disappointed, I thought from the title that you might have got a new FACEEE
I got it.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

Noice!

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I probably should have too, seeing as we were both there when he won it on TM.
TmcB wrote:
I got it.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

slash-ed wrote:I probably should have too, seeing as we were both there when he won it on TM.
TmcB wrote:
I got it.
Well, as it stands, I am a far better person because of this.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

Also, nice Firebird!

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

Nice guitar man. That switch wiring doesn't exactly look tidy. It's hard to tell without a real life inspection...

santana08
Stagg
Stagg

Post by santana08 »

Beautiful Firebird! Congrats on scoring the great deal 8)

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

So erstwhile bandmate and forum favourite TMcB took charge of my beloved new Firebird over the past week. It's shapely covers removed, Tony expressed immense disgust at the state of the wiring, indeed a rat's nest or indeed weasal's cavern was duly referenced.

However, the virtuous hands of tony has turned the wiring into a far more manageable nest. Possibly that of a tui, or kereru. The previous issue of the neck pickup seems to be that a) it wasn't earthed and b) made no noise and the bridge pickup was making the squeak of noise that came through on the neck pickup settings. A lack of grounding was an obvious issue, for the neck pickup. Moving forward (to today) I was able to plug the Firebird into the AC30 without it's powersoak on for a brief period of time. Initially I was concerned that bridge pickup was still lacking in bite , a couple of flicks of the toggle however revealed that the pickup switch was in the pick guard backwards. A quick turn of the screwdriver, and all was back to status quo.

With that in mind, the firebird was ready to rock all over the world. Massive amounts of bite from the bridge pickup, an amazing bell like chime on the neck, and a hybrid in between tone that is somewhere in between a Tele and an SG. Possibly not dissimilar from a p90 loaded SG in the in between position. Wow, is this a guitar that cost $439? Clean sounds are immense, but once the AC30 moved past 11 o'clock the firebird really started to roar. The best description is that is a beautifully refined, thick roar, but without the raggedness that a Les Paul with classic 57s or indeed any of the 498 ceramic pickups can give at higher gain settings.

The pickups give no indication of being cheap, Chinese/Korean built units, and with a new nut freshly installed it's certainly come along from the initial issues first found.

This is the first guitar I've owned with mini humbuckers, and I have to say that they are a revelation, a character all of their own. somewhere between a USA G&L ASAT and a P90 SG, rich, defined tones with a lovely aggressive bite.

So all and all, I am very impressed, and will look forward to a slightly better set of strings than the stale set I have already installed.

Who doesn't love a happy ending right?
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ