Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 251 times

Lest we forget...

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Sometimes it is only just too easy to forget about how much fun certain guitars are. They get neglected as something new comes in. And the next thing you know they've been untouched for a good number of months. Not because they aren't great - but because you just, well, forget about them.

I grabbed my PRS Brent Mason this evening. Mostly because it was in the way of something I was moving. And then sat down to have a blatt on it. An hour later, I wonder where the time went :)

Rather than focussing on the next new piece of kit, perhaps I need to rekindle the love for some of my existing stuff!

Anyone else have the same experiences from time to time?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1021 times
Been liked: 2505 times

Re: Lest we forget...

Post by Slowy »

Kiwiaxe wrote:
I grabbed my PRS Brent Mason this evening. Mostly because it was in the way of something I was moving.
Some people just have too damn many guitars. :roll:

:rofl:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

No such thing as too many guitars

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

I had this same revelation a while back.
I sold off all but my main two guitars. GAS, still creeps in, but I do my best to fend it off again.
It has done wonders for my writing, now instead of thinking that the next guitar or bit of gear is going to somehow give me magical powers to come up with the next song I want, I have no excuse and have to admit it's me that has to write the song and focus on actually doing it.

I think for me, I'd use buying gear as an excuse for not being able to master a particular technique or finish writing a particular song.
"I need a guitar with a thinner neck to master that sweep picking pattern" etc etc
Ummm....

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

I`m amazed how a small germ of an idea has forced me to sell a guitar I found perfectly usable before infection.
skinny necks, funny looking trems and just plain uncool stuff thrown out purely because formite sillyshilly didn't like the position of the neck pick up.
the realization during the final test before shipping: why am I selling this thing
that's right: insert germ
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

sopachrga wrote:now instead of thinking that the next guitar or bit of gear is going to somehow give me magical powers to come up with the next song I want, I have no excuse and have to admit it's me that has to write the song and focus on actually doing it.
Yep, that was something I immediately liked about acoustic instruments. Found it a bit of a relief, actually. There was nobody coming to the rescue, it was just me and the instrument. It certainly cleared my mind, if something didn't sound good, it wasn't a problem with gear or settings or anything. It was just me.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

off on a bit of a tangent here...

Have too much gear is a distraction for me in that I always muck around with my guitars. I'm changing pickups, putting different bodies with necks, even making them. I'm not chasing some never achievable toan - I just really enjoy doing it - but have to sometimes hold myself back, otherwise my spare time goes to that instead of playing.

I can also waste time buying and selling stuff - as I have to clean it up, set up, write adverts, package it up, take it to the couriers. But I enjoy doing that too.

Anyway - I just keep two guitars out at a time - one single coil and one humbucker, and leave it that. I now keep most of my parts out of the house, so I'm not tempted there.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 640 times
Been liked: 808 times

Post by hamo »

I have this with pretty much all my gear. I play it all so seldomly, that whenever I do get the chance, I find something new in a piece of gear I already own. Hopefully if I find the right house with a guitar room away from the family sleeping area, this will change...

One of my biggest issues is a personality one though: I am a completist. I want one of everything. If you could argue that there is a defined set of pedal types (ignoring some of the whackier ones maybe), I feel like I should have one of everything. This is, of course, a bit of a fool's errand in my situation regarding the amount of gear I buy. But actually being able to buy a bit of kit is an outlet for me too, like I finally made a decision about something and followed through on it.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

AiRdAd wrote:off on a bit of a tangent here...

Have too much gear is a distraction for me in that I always muck around with my guitars. I'm changing pickups, putting different bodies with necks, even making them. I'm not chasing some never achievable toan - I just really enjoy doing it - but have to sometimes hold myself back, otherwise my spare time goes to that instead of playing
Then again, some people decide they'd rather be luthiers than spending all their time in being performing musicians. Thank god for that, too.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

Vince wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:off on a bit of a tangent here...

Have too much gear is a distraction for me in that I always muck around with my guitars. I'm changing pickups, putting different bodies with necks, even making them. I'm not chasing some never achievable toan - I just really enjoy doing it - but have to sometimes hold myself back, otherwise my spare time goes to that instead of playing
Then again, some people decide they'd rather be luthiers than spending all their time in being performing musicians. Thank god for that, too.
If no other reason that you don't have to hear me play!!!! hahahahaa

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

hamo wrote:I have this with pretty much all my gear. I play it all so seldomly, that whenever I do get the chance, I find something new in a piece of gear I already own. Hopefully if I find the right house with a guitar room away from the family sleeping area, this will change...

One of my biggest issues is a personality one though: I am a completist. I want one of everything. If you could argue that there is a defined set of pedal types (ignoring some of the whackier ones maybe), I feel like I should have one of everything. This is, of course, a bit of a fool's errand in my situation regarding the amount of gear I buy. But actually being able to buy a bit of kit is an outlet for me too, like I finally made a decision about something and followed through on it.

I've been through this too Hamo - where I know what all the sounds or variations etc are, and I think 'gosh - it would be great to have all of them.' Every time I've started down this track, I just haven't used all of the extra gear, so have just ended up selling it again. I have a narrow range of what i like in amps, and pedals, and stick with that. Guitars I'm less able to do it, as I emotionally fall in love with them!!! Actually, I've done that with my two amps as well!!! hahahaha

If you want to be completest, you could try having your 'mainstay' gear and borrowing the other gear. That way you can give it back and be happy with the gear you own, and if something you've borrowed is cool, you can put that on the radar as a possible purchase.

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

I have had my levinson blade for 20 odd years I struggle to play other guitars

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Kiwiaxe wrote:I grabbed my PRS Brent Mason this evening. Mostly because it was in the way of something I was moving. And then sat down to have a blatt on it. An hour later, I wonder where the time went :)
Dammit, you're supposed to forget about that one. Then sell it to me.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Good topic. I think we sometimes obsess so much over a certain tone/feel/vibe that we are always trying to find it, to the detriment of actually playing. Up until recently, I've been in one band, playing in a lower/dropped tuning. I've tailored my sound towards guitars that suit that vibe (as my amp/FX setup is pretty awesome at covering about 95% of the sounds I want) as I have found that guitars have the most bearing on what noise I create. So, it's mostly been modern, high-gain humbuckered solid-bodies for me.

Started a new band, playing in standard tuning (which is actually a mission, as I'm used to looser tension, and single-finger barred power chords) and have just been stoked with how my semi-hollow Tele is sounding. Best of all, I've been able to use the same amp settings on the Splawn, just changing the 'gear' from hot-rodded JCM800 to Plexi mode, sounds phenomenal to my ears.

Still enjoy buying new stuff, but it's mostly guitars in that $300-700 mark,where I reckon you can get a lot of bang for buck.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

cerealkiller
Squier

Post by cerealkiller »

the same thing just happened to my korean made red special. was trying to sell it for couple of months and then a few days ago I was looking for a different sound to record for my band's ep and just picked it up out of blue and start experimenting.

totally different sound and feel to my usual strat but am loving all the weird pickup and phase switch combinations

All I can say is I am never gonna sell it again... maybe :P

here is an improv with it.. cheers

https://youtu.be/hJAsVcFKLqI