Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Nothing is real

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

So... some of you may know that I am not a huge digital fan. But I like to think I'm an open minded sort of being. Anyway, this happened:

IMG_2832.jpg
IMG_2832.jpg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 2743 times
I've had it for a couple of months now. I started to question my prejudice after hearing Sirvill playing live through a helix. The Quad Cortex appealed as I wanted something floor based, and I liked the look of the interface. So I ordered this from Andertons - around $3500 landed with a case if you're wondering (that's including GST, shipping, exchange - think it was 1500 quid). I figured I probably won't lose too much if I hate it and sell...

The verdict: it's pretty fucking rad. Took me a while to figure out how to replicate my amp sound - the capture was easy as, but I run two amps, and getting the split right took me a while. I had a lot of fun recording with it (see below for a sample) - then last Thursday I finally gave it the final test and used it live. Certainly a lot easier to load in and out! The on stage sound was much clearer than my amps - but I have to say, it was definitely missing something. Not as visceral, I didn't feel the air moving as much. The sound guy (who is very familiar with my tone) was impressed and enjoyed the flexibility.

So yeah. I won't be selling my amps, but will probably use this thing live most of the time.

One thing: I'm not sold on the PowerStage. My perception is that it is a bit harsh and sterile. For live, I used that into a cab for on stage and feedback, then stereo DI for FOH (the cab was also mic'd - not sure what the end mix was). I've tried using the Quad Cortex into the loop of my 5150 iii and that definitely sounds nicer - or feels nicer. But I don't want to rely on having a tube amp handy. Any thoughts? Fryette maybe?

Also, yeah, I know it has a tuner. But I don't like that as I have to hold the footswitch down for it, and I use my tuner extensively as a kill switch. There are probably other ways I could make it work, but this is easy. And while the in-built effects aren't bad, no phaser sounds as good as my Maestro.

Oh, and if you're wondering, no, the capture definitely does not handle fuzz well. Works nicely with my boosts though, including a rangemaster.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Nothing is real

Post by jeremyb »

Have we travelled back in time to April 1st?????
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Sounds cool :thumbup:

However... dude, you're a riff machine!

If I was living in the same city as you (Welly?) I would stalk you and threaten unpleasant consequences if you didn't form a side project band with me.

Ok I wouldn't, but I'd love to spend some time trading riffs with you.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

Nice sludge in the half time :)

And the vocals are cool too!
Greenstone Amplifiers

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Darth Sabbathi wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:39 amOne thing: I'm not sold on the PowerStage. My perception is that it is a bit harsh and sterile. For live, I used that into a cab for on stage and feedback, then stereo DI for FOH (the cab was also mic'd - not sure what the end mix was). I've tried using the Quad Cortex into the loop of my 5150 iii and that definitely sounds nicer - or feels nicer. But I don't want to rely on having a tube amp handy. Any thoughts? Fryette maybe?
Orange Pedal Baby? It’s class ab instead of class d so might be less harsh.

I wouldn’t use a tube power amp for a gigging modelling rig since you’re basically re-introducing the hassle.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

awesome work mate! another winz for digitalz!!

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

godgrinder wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:15 pm Orange Pedal Baby? It’s class ab instead of class d so might be less harsh.

I wouldn’t use a tube power amp for a gigging modelling rig since you’re basically re-introducing the hassle.
Exactly. A lot of places might have a house amp I could use. But I don't want to rely on that. I'm an Orange kind of guy, so that sounds like a fine suggestion - I'll check it out! Cheers!

Edit: how did I not know about this? The Pedal Baby looks perfect for me. Anyone looking to buy a Powerstage 200?

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

I have tried most of the power amps available. Most of the smaller / pedal sized ones were pretty similar in sound at each price point. The only common one I haven't tried is the pedal baby, and that was because I read some reviews about it being a bit average. But I haven't tried it so I don't know.

The Matrix GT1000FX is where it's at - especially if you think the SD was harsh. The Matrix has more bass and ...girth?

I have two and only need one, PM me if it interests you.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Dude... no fucking way hahahaha

We'll have to get together and trade digi-experiences for sure :)

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Maestro phaser for the win
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Danger Mouse wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:10 pm Sounds cool :thumbup:

However... dude, you're a riff machine!

If I was living in the same city as you (Welly?) I would stalk you and threaten unpleasant consequences if you didn't form a side project band with me.

Ok I wouldn't, but I'd love to spend some time trading riffs with you.
I started a jam at work for this reason but Darth decided he'd rather leave than play with me... :P
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Awesome! Every single sound you have is not installed on my rig! :rofl:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

bluesierra
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by bluesierra »

How are you finding the onboard effects? I’m really considering one and I’ve heard the onboard effects might be a weak point.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

bluesierra wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:38 pm How are you finding the onboard effects? I’m really considering one and I’ve heard the onboard effects might be a weak point.
I'm not using a lot. I modelled my own drives and boosts, and as per the photo, I still use a separate phaser pedal. I use a little bit of delay on one preset, and the onboard phaser on another to supplement the Maestro on a 2nd channel (I haven't figured a way to get the loop to work on multiple channels). But yeah, they're nothing special. I'm hoping that will improve over time.

I really bought it for the captures - my main aim was to model my own amps.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

So, is that my old phaser Mal? I seem to be losing track of the masses of gear I’ve had and sold!! I know Capt has one - but I used to own two.

Fwiw - I’m using the Supro Trem to give that phase vibe…doesn’t have speed unfortunately but the tone is there
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves