Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Wairarapajack
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

NAD: Nextone Artist

Post by Wairarapajack »

I decided a little while ago to move away from valve amps, as the nearest Amp tech is a hours drive away. But I still prefer a good old-fashioned combo amp to any direct interface malarkey. No apps either if I can help it.

In order to try and track something down that would be bulletproof and could do a convincing Marshall impression I got a Nextone Artist which was going (relatively) cheap. It arrived yesterday and I've been messing with it this afternoon.

I'm actually fairly impressed with it, but needed to set it up in a counterintuitive way to get decent results. Reading up on it, Maxing the Master Volume then using the power scaling and guitar volume to go clean-to-dirty is the way to go. Then just tweak the "Power Tube" setting and EQ to taste. Now that's not really how a Master Volume works in my head, but whatever.

The 6V6 setting with the mids turned down gets pretty close to a Deluxe Reverb, and EL34 with the mids boosted is fairly Marshall-y. That's sort of what I was hoping for. I'm still working out how the Presence knob affects the rest of it.

It is a bit hefty for a non-tube amp which might be a negative. Looks like it could get up to "annoy the neighbors" volume too, and I was mostly using it on the 0.5w and half power settings. I might try and work out how to get Tweed-y sounds out of it later, but might be better off with a Blues Cube for that.
Attachments
PXL_20211214_035639020~2.jpg
PXL_20211214_035639020~2.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 29581 times