Burns BHM
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Re: Show us your whole setup....

Post by Polar Bear »

robthemac wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:29 am
sizzlingbadger wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:42 am
rickenbackerkid wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:51 am Do you find with a small-ish low watt amp, that the sound suffers from having the amp up on a shelf? I find personally that I think my combos sound slightly better when they are directly on the floor.
It seems fine on that shelf because it's pretty low, being in the corner probably makes more difference, can emphasise the Bass a bit if I'm not careful.
The hi-fi guys think stands and shelves are incredibly important. I think it makes a difference if something is too close to a wall or on a shelf/stand that isn't entirely stable. But other than that, meh.
HiFi guys also think lifting the speaker cables off the floor makes a difference to sound...
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Polar Bear wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:52 pm
robthemac wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:29 am

It seems fine on that shelf because it's pretty low, being in the corner probably makes more difference, can emphasise the Bass a bit if I'm not careful.
The hi-fi guys think stands and shelves are incredibly important. I think it makes a difference if something is too close to a wall or on a shelf/stand that isn't entirely stable. But other than that, meh.
HiFi guys also think lifting the speaker cables off the floor makes a difference to sound...
Have you seen the magic crystals that they place on amps?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

I have now. What an excellent way of scamming more money from those who can't spend it fast enough.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Polar Bear wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:55 pm I have now. What an excellent way of scamming more money from those who can't spend it fast enough.
One of my stereo speakers died this morning. Not super-high end, but probably a decent MIJ Strat worth to replace. Going to try and do some trouble shooting and repairs today. Hope they don't need replacing. If so, I'm dreading having to deal with the snake-oil bullshit that is the hi-fi world.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

being in the corner probably makes more difference, can emphasise the Bass a bit if I'm not careful.
this is entirely true

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

My live rig.
I use a Boss MS3 for switching and effects but looking to replace it with an HX Effects pretty soon.
The Captor X is a game changer or me and anyone that wants a ridiculously good FOH sound should look into it. It can be controlled with an app on your phone, changing IRs, mic position and stereo spread etc at the venue and saved.
Best sound I've had for an audience and will be using it for recording too.
Cheers.
20220409_235452222.jpg
20220409_235452222.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 2234 times

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:22 pm
Polar Bear wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:55 pm I have now. What an excellent way of scamming more money from those who can't spend it fast enough.
One of my stereo speakers died this morning. Not super-high end, but probably a decent MIJ Strat worth to replace. Going to try and do some trouble shooting and repairs today. Hope they don't need replacing. If so, I'm dreading having to deal with the snake-oil bullshit that is the hi-fi world.
Repair?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:15 am
Repair?
Repaired it myself last night. Loose internal cable between the crossover and bass driver. Back up and running!

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 295 times

Post by murky »

robthemac wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:18 am

Repair?
Repaired it myself last night. Loose internal cable between the crossover and bass driver. Back up and running!
You can still pop down to the local high end hi fi shop if you like.

Take one of your old 8-tracks or CD’s to test - maybe some Knuckleback, or George Michael…

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

murky wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:36 am

Repair?

Take one of your old 8-tracks or CD’s to test - maybe some Knuckleback, or George Michael…
Theres nothing quite like Careless Whisper through a $100k+ system.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:40 am

I listened to Brothers In Arms through a $90k headphone rig a few years back. I think most of hifi is snake oil, but I needed several changes of underwear after that experience.

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:40 am

I am not sure if this is sarcasm or not???

Decking love me some carless whisper.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Current set-up (and best I've had, tone-wise).
20220710_205909.jpg
20220710_205909.jpg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 1600 times
Bandmaster cab is on loan from Strummers. I have an acoustic in the lounge and a Partcaster/THX rig at work. Otherwise this is the rig. Hoping to have a forum-built Cabronita to add once I get a painting set-up.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:09 pm
One of my bandmates builds hifi systems from scratch including speakers. He also works in Pro Audio. No promises but let me know where you're at before spending anything.

Also, try Axent Audio in New Lynn. They're good speaker mechanics.
I fixed it myself!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:11 pm
Slowy wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:09 pm

One of my bandmates builds hifi systems from scratch including speakers. He also works in Pro Audio. No promises but let me know where you're at before spending anything.

Also, try Axent Audio in New Lynn. They're good speaker mechanics.
I fixed it myself!
That's the best solution. :thumbup:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.