E|x

Bb: step straight up a half tone
e|x
B|6
G|7
D|8
A|x
E|x

C: (second time) root inversion up higher. Step straight up a whole tone.
e|x
B|7
G|8
D|9
A|x
E|x

Then resolve down onto the F5 for the verse.

I think that arrangement actually lifted the end of the chorus quite well, and shouldn't be a big deal for the melody makers because the altered tone opens up the F dominant scale as an option in there, because the altered tone in the A is D up to an Eb, which is the flat seventh of F major (i.e. Dominant) and that's quite common anyway.

Maybe cut it both ways and send both to BG? He can pick one.

Try the bridge again with that A inversion instead, then down to the Bb and up to the C. If you don't think it works I'm fine with just the Dm| Bb C | x2

Try not to play your lower strings so much as it muddies it up. Leave that for the bass. I was pretty much playing only the top 4 strings in the bridge, which I think you'll find helps the clarity. It works better if you don't put the bass note on the 5th string I think.

I'll post a notepad file with the inversions I was using for the lot soon. In courier so it's a bit more readable.
MrSooty wrote: Yes, I have lost much saliva over that one. I can't bring myself to try it though, it'll either ruin the illusion for me or make me want to sell my children.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: NZ Music Month: Last Week Project

Post by ash »

OK, so what's our status, team?

Drums: BG - Done
Rhythm Guitar: Greg/Mahtone - Doing
Bass: Mahtone/Jimi - Waiting
Lead Guitar: Slash-Ed - Waiting
Keys: BG - Waiting
Vocals: ANYBODY?
BVs: BG and ANYBODY ELSE?

We're officially behind unofficial schedule, so lets be ready to bust out the grooves when the rhythm track is available to widdle over.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Greg
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Greg »

I decided to throw up a one take, badly played, with two missed chords in the bridge, and the last chord meant to be the beginning of the verse, not a repeat of the bridge.

Excuse the dodgy timing, it was without click track or drums because I've been told to shut up for the next hour. This is a taste so people can start the beginnings of widdling and so richard can hear my rough version of the chorus end.
Attachments
3bits.mp3
(973.13 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

mahtone
Squier

Post by mahtone »

I think I just figured out that I may be wrong about the A in the bridge. I think I may have played a Bb there instead and written down the wrong chord...

DIfferent inversion though. I'm most of the way through notepad file. Expect it up soon.
MrSooty wrote: Yes, I have lost much saliva over that one. I can't bring myself to try it though, it'll either ruin the illusion for me or make me want to sell my children.

Greg
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Greg »

Yeah when I was watching I remember thinking dm Bb C, OK!.
Didn't read the sheet till this morning.

mahtone
Squier

Post by mahtone »

Ok I've got the damn thing in notepad, but the site won't allow me to upload .txt or .pdf

What now?? Any suggestions? Don't want to just paste it in as the font will buggerise it...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Email it to me, I'll put it on my website
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Just looking through Kristie's lyrics, there's nothing much upbeat about them, quite gloomy, in fact! :cry:

Any other lyrical submissions, peeps?

Maybe something totally meaningless, like Blur - Song 2

Greg
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Greg »

Or it could just be ironic like sublime, singing about horrible things to an upbeat rock-ska backing track.

Though reading them over I'm not sure that would even be possible. :?
Last edited by Greg on Wed May 27, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2271 times
Been liked: 3956 times

Post by Bg »

hmmm just checked out the attachment extensions and pdf was enabled don't know why it wouldn't be allowed???? just enabled txt if you want to try that? Or paste it and surround with the code tag, that should post without reformatting it.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Ah my apologies for lack of contribution to this thread so far!!

AYP is currently in possession of my recording interface (GT6) so unless anyone wants to hear a Microcube through a teeny little mic, someone else may have to step in. Otherwise I'll have a go of it tonight... or whenever the backing track is ready! :lol:

mahtone... nope no real preference I suppose, scale-wise
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Greg
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Greg »

Perhaps the idea should be just to have it written for gearfest, and push the polished recording deadline back a week?

I was also thinking, we would each have to send bg one or more 50 mb wav files for each of the parts to have it sound ok come final mix, unless bg just plays what we write... easy enough for the rhythm part but can BG handle ed's widdle? :P

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I think if you just upload hi quality mp3 parts for the time being that will be fine, the forum can handle up to 30Mb uploads....

I'm sure I can handle Ed's widdle, but I'm not sure that I'd want to :eek:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

We should really get CD/Gelato/Tsuken involved as well :)

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

BG wrote:hmmm just checked out the attachment extensions and pdf was enabled don't know why it wouldn't be allowed???? just enabled txt if you want to try that? Or paste it and surround with the code tag, that should post without reformatting it.
Epic 17,000th post, dude.