Buying in LA: Pt 2 - now with 100% more annoying questions

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Vorbis »

slash-ed wrote:Eww, the current Ibanez LP-ish things look horrible! :P
Ah, but your tastes extend to planks far more pointy....
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Yeah I know, but for years I was basically an LP guy... and for me the only guitar that looks good in that format... is an LP. Most derivatives look weird to me compared to the classic shape. Barring the Singlecut, which I think is one of the very few good LP-based designs. I also like the Fernandes Ravelle shape, great twist on the LP body.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

zdali
Ashton
Ashton

Post by zdali »

PRS SE. Preferably SE One... I like simple things :-)

No i don't own a Mac
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Buying in LA: Pt 2 - now with 100% more annoying questio

Post by sambrowne »

Hot_Grits wrote:
But if you try enough cheap/medium price guitars, you definitely will find good ones. In this case there's no substitute to trying a huge bunch of guitars and seeing what moves you.
Yes. I remember once playing a natural finish Epiphone SG at the rock shop in Dunedin that just had some magic in it - after commenting on it (I have no idea why I played it in the first place - probably trying an amp out and just grabbed the nearest thing) they all said the same, something particularly good about that one.

From your list and considering your requirements, I'd try lots of secondhand LP studios. Your question was what is the difference - the studio and the standard are essentially the same guitar but the standard has more cosmetic loveliness (neck and body binding, nicer looking top, inlaid neck) and weighs a bit more. The custom is a whole different kettle of fish with quite a bit more cosmetic improvement and the best woods etc plus different pickups. Although I prefer the feeling of playing my standard, soundwise the studio and standard are usually much the same, using the same woods throughout and the same pickups (though there have been numerous different pickup configurations used over the past two decades, especially in recent times - the best ones seem to be late eighties or early 2000s). The whole point of the studio is a guitar to use in the studio, where no one sees it but everyone hears it - the standard is the great looking guitar for the stage, and the custom is the same as the standard, but the deluxe version.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

sambrowne wrote:the custom is the same as the standard, but the deluxe version.
that was confusing. you rattled off 3 Les Paul models as the same :lol:

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

Gibson LP Studios regularly go on ebay for USD $700 or even less.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

sambrowne wrote:
Hot_Grits wrote:
But if you try enough cheap/medium price guitars, you definitely will find good ones. In this case there's no substitute to trying a huge bunch of guitars and seeing what moves you.
Yes. I remember once playing a natural finish Epiphone SG at the rock shop in Dunedin that just had some magic in it - after commenting on it (I have no idea why I played it in the first place - probably trying an amp out and just grabbed the nearest thing) they all said the same, something particularly good about that one.

From your list and considering your requirements, I'd try lots of secondhand LP studios. Your question was what is the difference - the studio and the standard are essentially the same guitar but the standard has more cosmetic loveliness (neck and body binding, nicer looking top, inlaid neck) and weighs a bit more. The custom is a whole different kettle of fish with quite a bit more cosmetic improvement and the best woods etc plus different pickups. Although I prefer the feeling of playing my standard, soundwise the studio and standard are usually much the same, using the same woods throughout and the same pickups (though there have been numerous different pickup configurations used over the past two decades, especially in recent times - the best ones seem to be late eighties or early 2000s). The whole point of the studio is a guitar to use in the studio, where no one sees it but everyone hears it - the standard is the great looking guitar for the stage, and the custom is the same as the standard, but the deluxe version.
I disagree on some points... Studios are noticeably thinner than Standards, and sound different because of this - bitier but a bit less meaty. And Studios also have fretboard inlays, it's the binding on the whole that they lack. Studios and Customs share the same pickups last time I bothered to check, and Standards have Burstbuckers stock these days.

Imo, if you're into metal, a normal LP is a bit meh. Shove some EMGs in :twisted: and you've got Zakk-in-a-Box.

Personally I'd still go for something made of brighter woods... alder, maple, etc... I like my metal a bit more ear-piercing than ball busting...

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 815 times

Post by hamo »

Thanks again guys, this is all helping to crystalise some of the thoughts whirring around my cranium? My original ploy was just going to be to drop a set of Zakk EMGs into an LP studio, something that could be achieved for around US$500. I was, however, unsure about whether being a Studio it would be too light and not be worth the effort. I'm a fairly small guy and I liked the feel of the Studio.

I have to admit, being a bit of a gromet I'm fairly focussed on the pickups, not really knowing what else to look out for. The only way I knew that the Schecter I played was badly set up because the strings were basically hugging the fretboard - it was like something from the toy section in the Warehouse.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster