Need Help - Buying my first Acoustic Electric

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

LittleLass
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Need Help - Buying my first Acoustic Electric

Post by LittleLass »

Hi, Hope you can help me. I am out there looking to buy my first Acoustic Electric. Unfortunately I am a petite girl and find full sized guitars very hard to be comfortable playing.

I have been skulking around the shops for months now and am trying to make a final decision on which of two guitars to buy they are: :?

Yamaha APX500 or Cort SFX-1NT.

The Yamaha is about $700 and the Cort $550. The reason i am confused is the Yamaha seems to have a nicer tone but is not a full solid top but is spruce and has nato sides while the Cort apparently has a solid sitka spruce top and mahogony sides.

Just about tearing my hair out trying to choose. :roll:

Hope you guys can help! 8)

Kristie
Token Rock Chick!

Re: Need Help - Buying my first Acoustic Electric

Post by Kristie »

A brand new spruce solid top can take some time to settle in, the color of the wood changes with time and so does the tone as the wood loses moisture and density and vibrates more freely.

If you get an SFX1 go through all the stock of those they have in store and pick out the best as they can be a little inconsistent. Sometimes you'll get one thats an absolute beauty though!

Welcome to the forum BTW, we need more girls here :lol:

Kristie
Token Rock Chick!

Post by Kristie »

P.S. Totally choose the Yamaha! I play Yamaha so they must be good haha

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I say get the Cort. They make great value for money guitars. I had a Cort elec/acoustic in the same price range (not the same model though) and it was fantastic. I even gigged proffesionally with it a little bit, and I was really blown away with the value for money. I only sold it because I stumbled accross a great deal on a very nice Cole Clark at Cash Converters.

Solid top all the way. They improve with time. The Yamaha might have the edge now, but I'm sure in a few years the Cort will have improved alot more.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

mr_sooty wrote: I only sold it because I stumbled accross a great deal on a very nice Cole Clark at Cash Converters.
That wasn't recently,was it? :lol:

I would go for a solid top, everytime. Cort make sound good guitars

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4012 times

Post by Bg »

yeah I like my Cort as much as its possible for me to like any acoustic - Ash has been at it though ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Kristie
Token Rock Chick!

Post by Kristie »

By the time you wait for the Cort's tone to improve with age you'll be ready for an upgrade anyway :wink:

Save up and get an APX900

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Yamaha have a strange talent for making awesome sounding guitars out of ordinary materials. I don't know how they manage that, but throughout their range the laminated guitars sound way better than they should. They're also better constructed and finished than anything else with better pickups and preamps.

Its a tough call between these two guitars. If there wasn't the price difference it would be Yamaha all the way.

The solid top is a big plus in favour of the Cort, but in terms of general quality everywhere else on the guitar, they're not in the same league as a Yamaha.

I dunno....
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Phildo
Resident Tyre Kicker

Post by Phildo »

ash wrote:I dunno....
Thats a first... :shock: :P :wink: :lol:
I cannot brain today, I have the dumb.

LittleLass
Stagg
Stagg

Post by LittleLass »

Thanks for the help so far. Glad to find somewhere like this to get good advice and have a laugh!

Only been playing since February. Made the mistake of buying a cheap Ashton Electric package. Ah well we all live and learn.

Found that I am playing mostly acoustic style songs though so now that I am getting better its time to invest in a better guitar. Just wish my little fingers would let me play a darned b chord still havent sussed that one out yet. Just learned Opshops - One Day beautiful song. Easy to play and sound great.

Must say I am still slightly confused though LMAO :lol:

Apparently, my uncle tells me, I should buy the one I like best. That way I will probably play it more?! Like wild horses can stop me from playing now.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Buy both - that way you'll have something to play on days you can't face the Yamaha - :lol:
You can't do THAT on stage!

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

LittleLass wrote: Just wish my little fingers would let me play a darned b chord still havent sussed that one out yet..
Now a neat trick for this one is to play it like you play the A Major chord shape at the second fret (but at the fourth fret) and let your bottom finger (on the second string) touch the first (top e string) so it don't sound! - easy as in the meantime.

Alternatively retune your Guitar DGDGBD (tune the first, fifth and sixth string down a tone from normal tuning) and then a finger right across all the frets (like a Barre) will play a Major Chord, No Fingers = G major, finger across all strings at 2nd fret = A Major, at the 4th fret = B Major, at the 5th fret = C major, at the 7th fret = D Major and at the 9th E major, 10th F major and 12th = G major (again -- boring!!!!)

Enjoy
You can't do THAT on stage!

zdali
Ashton
Ashton

Post by zdali »

B45-12 wrote: Alternatively retune your Guitar DGDGBD (tune the first, fifth and sixth string down a tone from normal tuning) and then a finger right across all the frets (like a Barre) will play a Major Chord, No Fingers = G major, finger across all strings at 2nd fret = A Major, at the 4th fret = B Major, at the 5th fret = C major, at the 7th fret = D Major and at the 9th E major, 10th F major and 12th = G major (again -- boring!!!!)

Enjoy
Don't confuse her with open tunings (or at least tell her how to grab a minor chord too) :P Plenty of time for that yet... Oh and technically , you don't need the low D for that tuning. so you might as well take the string off :P
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4012 times

Post by Bg »

LittleLass wrote:Apparently, my uncle tells me, I should buy the one I like best. That way I will probably play it more?! Like wild horses can stop me from playing now.
That is the ultimate test :) Theres plenty of time to empty your bank account as the GAS hits you...

The more important option is, which looks best :lol:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

LittleLass wrote: my uncle tells me, I should buy the one I like best.
Your uncle speaks wisely. You're the one who has to play it.