weta guitars

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

shednz
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

weta guitars

Post by shednz »

Hey hey do any of you guys know much about weta guitars - how well made - been looking at one on trade me custom 'les paul' actually semi acoustic 335 styles but in les paul shape with p-90s . Looks v nice but hard to know what these might actually be worth or what kind of quality. Cheers 4 ya help.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: weta guitars

Post by thehenderson »

I had a jagmaster style one which I bought for $1,300 and sold for 7 or 8 hundred to scarecrow on the forum

It was alright, it was wood finished and I hated how it looked in the end

shednz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by shednz »

cheers the trade me dude wants 1350 for his one - so that might be a little on the dear side if weta are charging 1300 from new. looks lovely tho.

shednz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by shednz »

what was the build quality etc like on the weta's?

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

Weta guitars are generally hand made bodies with korean or japanese made necks on them. He recently started using Allparts necks but for quite a while they were Dr Parts and other fairly average korean made necks. To the best of my knowledge all of his guitars are bolt-on neck. He uses a combination of rescued vintage parts and new parts. The example on Trademe is actually a vintage Framus body that he has rescued by fitting a new neck to. I personally don't like a lot of his guitars that I have seen and tried but some of his newer ones are terrific- particularly the ones using Allparts necks. I'd steer clear of that one on Trademe- I think the price is too high.

The build quality of his guitars in general is fairly good, but can be kinda let down by neck selection and attachment some of the time.

Just my 2dB

shednz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by shednz »

thanks heaps for the advice Benderissimo, My missus says if you're ever in Dunedin she's shouting you beers, for stopping my GAS frenzy

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

SWEET! Benderissimo like beer!

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

i think a lot of his guitars are on the eccentric side.

but all that i've seen have looked well made. he doesn't let me touch them in store :lol:

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

My reaction to his behaviour and work is 'one eye on the workshop, the other on the dollar'. He does GOOD work but expects EXCELLENT rewards. Plus some of the 'restorations' on trademe have been a little too extreme for mine and a few others tastes - Restored 'Jansen's that had more little orignal parts than say a neck and a bridge, the rest being made up from el cheapo asian parts.
You can't do THAT on stage!

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

B45-12 wrote:My reaction to his behaviour and work is 'one eye on the workshop, the other on the dollar'. He does GOOD work but expects EXCELLENT rewards. Plus some of the 'restorations' on trademe have been a little too extreme for mine and a few others tastes - Restored 'Jansen's that had more little orignal parts than say a neck and a bridge, the rest being made up from el cheapo asian parts.
Definitely. He has a big stash of old Jansen and Framus hardware and pups which in itsself is pretty cool but he doesn't have particularly high standards when it comes to the necks. Just basing this on observation of course.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

benderissimo wrote:Weta guitars are generally hand made bodies with korean or japanese made necks on them. He recently started using Allparts necks but for quite a while they were Dr Parts and other fairly average korean made necks. To the best of my knowledge all of his guitars are bolt-on neck. He uses a combination of rescued vintage parts and new parts. The example on Trademe is actually a vintage Framus body that he has rescued by fitting a new neck to. I personally don't like a lot of his guitars that I have seen and tried but some of his newer ones are terrific- particularly the ones using Allparts necks. I'd steer clear of that one on Trademe- I think the price is too high.

The build quality of his guitars in general is fairly good, but can be kinda let down by neck selection and attachment some of the time.

Just my 2dB
I would agree, having owned one for a few years. It was well built with the exception of the neck pocket, which was too loose. The neck itself was good.
I say play it, if it feels good go for it. Mine played great and looked great. and sounded great too. Whats not to love?
His prices are pretty good so a new shiny one might be a better buy. That way it can be customised too.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I've had a bit to do with Weta, they've set up a bunch of my guitars and friend's guitars, they've sold stuff on behalf for me and I've bought things from them. Those guys are really really nice and friendly. Particually Mal, who seems to be the owner. They've spent ages with me explaining how different things work, on their future plans for guitar making and so on. While their guitars aren't really my thing due to the finishes they do, they do make nice instruments. I've played quite a range of their stuff and it's great