Ultimate Covers Gigging Amp

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Ultimate Covers Gigging Amp

Post by sambrowne »

Aquila Rosso wrote:Same MI Audio that make the Crunch Box and Tubedrive etc?
If so, I didn't know they made amps. Aussie based are they?

What is the best way of getting a footswitchable clean tone out of a single channel mega crunchy amp like mine? I would think having a loop in a pedalboad with some kind of pedal in it that reduces gainn before the amp without making the sound thin and weak, follow by chorus or whatever.? I ask because it's one reason why people go to multi channel amps for giiging, but there must be a way to do it with with my amp too, unless the pros used to switch to a different amp for the clean parts. :?:
http://www.ehx.com/products/signal-pad

I have one. It's perfect for this application, and that's the way I use it.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

Aquila Rosso wrote:It's not enough with my guitars config and the amp going into full blown overdrive so early. I'm going to increase the amps overdrive soon too. Not too sure what to do really, I don't want to mod a clean circuit into the amp either. Maybe a compressor to fatten up the tone when I roll the volume off, but keep the output of the compressor down so the amp doesn't break up. Maybe a second amp, but then I'd need another palmer too :mrgreen:
easier just to buy a nice clean amp and a dirt pedal :wink:

or maybe try some different speakers :P :mrgreen:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

Aquila Rosso wrote:It's not enough with my guitars config and the amp going into full blown overdrive so early. I'm going to increase the amps overdrive soon too. Not too sure what to do really, I don't want to mod a clean circuit into the amp either. Maybe a compressor to fatten up the tone when I roll the volume off, but keep the output of the compressor down so the amp doesn't break up. Maybe a second amp, but then I'd need another palmer too :mrgreen:
Get a post phase inverter master volume. This is an amazing mod. I heard one Ryan had done on an 800 belonging to his friend and it gives you a whole new world of tone without having to be superloud to get it. I'm going to get one on whatever 800 I eventually own. Go see Ryan to hear the one he's done and I guarantee you'll want one!

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Might have been my amp, it's been at ryans a fair few times. I had the MV taken out by Clarry, because I like the tone had by cranking the amp into a slaved load, ala EVH and many,many others. If I can come up with a good solution for how I run my amp, I wouldn't need multi channel ever. I just sent some demos to these dudes wanting a guitarist for 80s metal, so I may need to sort it soon, although I'll probably get told again that I'm too old anyway. Rather get told I'm too old than too shit though :roll: :lol:

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

Waylon Macpherson does a les paul volume knob mod where you keep the tops as you roll down (50s style, apparently...). Might be of use to you.

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

rocklander wrote:one of highgainer's VHTs (the first one I saw at the tronfest).. just a superb beastie 8)
Yeah the VHT/Fryette Sig:X will do what you're after in spades :twisted:

3 channel: clean, rhythm, lead platform.
3 different voicings for each channel
Power shifting: 40/100 watts on each channel
Brilliant effects loop, series/parallal

Ticks all the boxes as far as versatility & the ultimate gigging amp for a covers band...imo 8)

Plus it sounds amazing at whisper/TV volumes :mrgreen:

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

My logic for a perfect covers band amp says you want to cover these bases:

~Lots of decent "close enough" sounds
~Not too big or heavy to lug back and forth from venues/practices
~Reliable
~Doesn't make you look like a tool on stage by being too much or too little in the given context

A whole lot of 30-50W 1x12 combos with a well selected pedalboard would be a sensible way to acheive all that.
Personally, I don't really dig 1x12 combos, so a head and a sealed 2x12 would be my pick. And a pedalboard that isn't any bigger than the cab footprint. Because a pedalboard you can stencil "USS Nimitz" on the side of, violates that fourth rule :wink:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

ash wrote:Because a pedalboard you can stencil "USS Nimitz" on the side of, violates that fourth rule :wink:
that would be a good board for Jen :D
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

sambrowne wrote:
Aquila Rosso wrote:Same MI Audio that make the Crunch Box and Tubedrive etc?
If so, I didn't know they made amps. Aussie based are they?

What is the best way of getting a footswitchable clean tone out of a single channel mega crunchy amp like mine? I would think having a loop in a pedalboad with some kind of pedal in it that reduces gainn before the amp without making the sound thin and weak, follow by chorus or whatever.? I ask because it's one reason why people go to multi channel amps for giiging, but there must be a way to do it with with my amp too, unless the pros used to switch to a different amp for the clean parts. :?:

Thanks, looks like the it would do the trick.

Phildo
Resident Tyre Kicker

Post by Phildo »

ash wrote:Because a pedalboard you can stencil "USS Nimitz" on the side of, violates that fourth rule :wink:
Lets leave my one-day-to-be pedalboard out of this... :P :lol: :lol:
I cannot brain today, I have the dumb.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Aquila Rosso wrote:
sambrowne wrote:

Thanks, looks like the it would do the trick.
HBE Detox is also good, you can EQ the reduced signal to your liking as well.

Sam, did you buy the Signal Pad new? It would come in really handy for my Vintage Modern, and if it's cheaper than a Detox it might be the go.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7909 times
Been liked: 4258 times

Post by jeremyb »

<swoon>This forum is so full of win, its rare to be on a forum with so many knowledgeable people!! </swoon>

As an aside... after hearing CDog's Vetta II at the last chch gearfest I can't help but think it would be awesome for covers, especially with the foot controller he had...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

Hey Ed yes I sure did, from our pal Ryan at CAB. It works beautifully, it's passive (rad) and it takes up little space.
With that and a good boost for your single channel amp, you've got three tones right there. My BRD live board will eventually be tuner, Wah, signal pad, booster, amp. I'll keep all my fancy bullshit for covers, probably.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

sambrowne wrote:Hey Ed yes I sure did, from our pal Ryan at CAB. It works beautifully, it's passive (rad) and it takes up little space.
With that and a good boost for your single channel amp, you've got three tones right there. My BRD live board will eventually be tuner, Wah, signal pad, booster, amp. I'll keep all my fancy bullshit for covers, probably.
Ryan has this Frantone loop thing I want one day. It's for running 2 separate chains of pedals, ie; one for your clean sound, one for your dirty. Makes for easier sitching. I want.
I much prefer cleaning up a dirty amp to vise-versa. It's like the amp's natural drive is the mean or natural playing volume and cleaning up is backing off or relaxing the tone into the cleans for short interludes from the sonic intensity.

denden
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 1 time

Post by denden »

Aquila Rosso wrote:It's not enough with my guitars config and the amp going into full blown overdrive so early.
I run a tiny terror with everything on 10 for Kairos, guitar is a single humbucker jobbie with a BKP warpig, yet still i can get a clean tone by picking lightly and turning the volume on the gat down...
FWIW, IMHO ect. ect.