Rickenbacker

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Rickenbacker

Post by Ears »

bbrunskill wrote:get out your guns boys, i'm going to say something which probably deserves a good kicking.
fixed
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

At one point I owned two 4003 basses and a 360/6 guitar. Only have one of the basses now, trying to sell it actually. The 360 was very cool, and like any Ric you feel sooooo cool playing it, but I sold it for a few reasons.

The bridge pickup was kinda similar to a strat, but the neck pickup was really dull and boomy, and with a turn of the 5th knob you could make it more boomy. I know I could have changed it, but there's something not right about changing pickups on a Ric....

The neck was reeeeally fat. I like fat necks but this was so big that I found it very hard to play unless sitting down.

Try before you buy. They are cool but quirky.

Hamburgla
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Hamburgla »

Yip, got me a black Rickenbacker 620. Spent two years passively waiting for one to turn up second hand...

I love it. I use it & a Gibson SG interchangeably in the band, and they're very different beasts - which I thoroughly appreciate. The Ric's lovely for strumming, and almost everything else. The sound works great for me through mah Sunn T-50, and other stuff I've played it through - Holden, AC-30. The jangle's a nice characteristic - it doesn't rip anyone's face off, but it's there.

Mild cons: The lacquered fretboard is a bit hard to slide about for riff work, and the low low frets make a few things more difficult. When you hold the neck near open position, the join to the headstock felt weird when I first got it (very thick) - that said, I'm slightly less deathly afraid of dropping it than the SG (which have been known to snap - Fender have a smoother balance between the two).

Music Planet seem to carry them new, so see if you can rustle one up for a hoon. You'll probably find the neck a bit weird at first, and then it's up to you if the tone's what you're after.

I'd love to own an Ibanez Iceman, and leave it out side by side with the 620...

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

Ta for the info chaps. Haven't come across one on my travels yet, but will be keeping an eye out :)

CJ
Ashton
Ashton

Post by CJ »

Timi wrote:.... Only have one of the basses now, trying to sell it actually.......
What colour/condition is it and What sort of price are you after?
I didn't get where I am today by understanding humour.......

holelottaluv
Ashton
Ashton

Post by holelottaluv »

john kay
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (9.58 KiB) Viewed 1366 times

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Post by jeremyb »

I really like this ricky bass that Chris from Muse plays:

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

jeremyb wrote:I really like this ricky bass that Chris from Muse plays:

Alan Gregg always had a lovely full, thuddy tone live with one of these.
Tin arse!!

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

We have a very similar one to that one in our store, but in black. It's a stunner! Don't forget guys, 10% off Ricki's for NZG members at Music Planet. (That equates to a fairly substantial discount, them things aint cheap!)

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

mr_sooty wrote:We have a very similar one to that one in our store, but in black. It's a stunner! Don't forget guys, 10% off Ricki's for NZG members at Music Planet. (That equates to a fairly substantial discount, them things aint cheap!)
u might wanna check that through the big guy... he is quite fussy bout the rics...well actually, don't tell him. just do it :)

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

As another option to trying and buying locally you can order them online a lot cheaper and flick them on trademe for a proffit if you don't like em. Local prices on Ricks are huge comparted to what you can import them for. But there's something to be said about trying before buying and not mucking around with the whole resale thing.

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

CJ wrote:
Timi wrote:.... Only have one of the basses now, trying to sell it actually.......
What colour/condition is it and What sort of price are you after?
it was the tuxedo one. white with black pickguard from memory?

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

jeremyb wrote:I really like this ricky bass that Chris from Muse plays:

yeah bassist from The Checks has one, it's wicked and sounds great.
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

thehenderson wrote:As another option to trying and buying locally you can order them online a lot cheaper and flick them on trademe for a proffit if you don't like em. Local prices on Ricks are huge comparted to what you can import them for. But there's something to be said about trying before buying and not mucking around with the whole resale thing.
Checked the prices in the USA lately? They've gone up heaps, and since US dealers can't ship outside of the US you have to go through an ebay seller who puts a bit extra on (although it does mean you don't have to wait 18 months). Buying one brand new from the US isn't much cheaper that buying locally anymore.

I bought a brand new 4003 only four years ago from the US, exchange rate was good at the time (similar to now), all up including gst and shipping it was $1900.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Increased heaps in price? Lame.