12 stringers?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: 12 stringers?

Post by cholera »

Ed, you talking about the Eko or the Artist? And Vince...holy crap that's a rough deal! Were you referring to the Eko or Artist? Either way, really rough deal.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

The Artist.

Re: the 550, I may be free Thurs evening, and I'm around Easter weekend anyway if you're free, so gimme a txt whenever.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

cholera wrote:And Vince...holy crap that's a rough deal! Were you referring to the Eko or Artist? Either way, really rough deal.
Can't remember... it was a long time ago. Can't remember it saying "artist" anywhere, so it was probably a standard Eko.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

lionking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by lionking »

crowbgood1 wrote:Takamini G-series would be a good bet for ya money...and they look and sound great.

I agree. I am a fan of Alvarez acoustics but when I tried this Takamine it went home with me. Considering price along with quality it is really good. I play it sometimes, not as much as the 6 stringers but when I do it takes me into a different mindset. A 12 really has a sweet mystical sound to it. This is mine, bought it in Arizona while on a road trip.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Awesome. I think the one I ended up buying is exactly the same, but natural finish.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

lionking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by lionking »

rocklander wrote:
slash-ed wrote:Thanks to Matt I got a great deal on said 12 string, picked it up today and while my girly 9-42 playing fingers are sore, my ears definitely are not! :mrgreen:

Now, to use it for something other than Wanted Dead or Alive :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
after playing mine for half an hour, I have to 'look' at my hands to see if I'm playing an open C or open F cos the 12 strings just feel like one big fat wall of string heh.
It does take some getting use to. One song I jam on my 12 is Mr Big's version of "Wild World". While my Takamine is generally easy to play with a good action for some reason doing a F bar chord first position takes a lot of strength otherwise it sounds mutted. Doing a bar chord anywhere else on it doesn't seem as hard.

lionking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by lionking »

slash-ed wrote:Awesome. I think the one I ended up buying is exactly the same, but natural finish.

Yep. But a pain to re-string though, time consuming. I use the Elixer strings which besides sounding good to me, last a lot longer than conventional strings.

electric68
Ashton
Ashton

Post by electric68 »

I've always found 12 stringers hard work (I probably just need to man up), but quite good for slide work - it covers up the imbalance between high E and B and other strings (although Ry Cooder or Johnny Winter never needed one). Here's an oldie, a '67 Fender Coronado 12 - I believe this one was made for the NAMM show.
Attachments
Coronado 12.jpg
Myself, being a Bear of Little Brain....

corsair
Gibson
Has liked: 23 times

Post by corsair »

"12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they’re 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards."

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here's mine....

...actually it's not mine - belongs to a friend in Australia who won't sell it to me!! I had a few 12's along the way, all of them acoustics so this was a revelation. And yes, once the initial marveling over an open G chord has palled, they really are one trick ponies... :D
There is no sort of aberrant behaviour that cannot be modified by use of the correct ammunition!

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

corsair wrote: Here's mine....

That's some pretty fine gauge strings you're using there... ;)
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times

Post by cholera »

Have you got 6 fingers? :D
On one hand I mean....I'm guessing you have 8 all up? Plus a couple of thumbs.