24 frets

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

A guitar has 24 frets. Does this make you:

More likely to want it
26%
Less likely to want it
29%
Unchanged in your level of want or unwant.
46%

Total votes: 35

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Re: 24 frets

Post by rob_on_guitar »

Well I like to harmonize my recording a lot, 24 frets makes life a whole fuck load easy.

Also the extra space is a lot more forgiving on my clumsy mutant fingers, and things just seem easier like a woman who is weak and drunk at a funeral.

Who the fuck puts mutants, womans, fingers, funerals and drunk in the same sentence? sheesh....anyways...

I didn't like the 24 frets on my Jackson.... but do on the ESP... the Jackson had tiny little midget frets at the top, was kinda like Poison, it looked wrong... but sounded worse.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Polar Bear wrote:Anytime you're in Wellington!
Consider it a deal.
Tin arse!!

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

rob_on_guitar wrote:easier like a woman who is weak and drunk at a funeral.
I thought I was the only one who met women that way.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3531 times
Been liked: 724 times

Post by Cdog »

rob_on_guitar wrote:Well I like to harmonize my recording a lot, 24 frets makes life a whole fuck load easy.

Also the extra space is a lot more forgiving on my clumsy mutant fingers, and things just seem easier like a woman who is weak and drunk at a funeral.

Who the fuck puts mutants, womans, fingers, funerals and drunk in the same sentence? sheesh....anyways...

I didn't like the 24 frets on my Jackson.... but do on the ESP... the Jackson had tiny little midget frets at the top, was kinda like Poison, it looked wrong... but sounded worse.
'scuse me I lol'd
shot rob :)

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

I can't say I've seen a single 24 fret guitar that appeals to me but that's just availability. I'm not fundamentally against the idea but I have no use for them. If it made the neck pickup sound worse (even just a little) that'd be a deal breaker though. Also, I like to do neck bends so a stiffer neck would be a bit of a drag.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

This thing against upper frets seems to be specific to guitars. Mandolins often come with completely nutso fretboard extensions and no-one bats an eyelid.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Post by rob_on_guitar »

I reckon if you do the 24 fret thing or more, at least make them playable.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Some Bozo wrote:This thing against upper frets seems to be specific to guitars. Mandolins often come with completely nutso fretboard extensions and no-one bats an eyelid.
Not to mention the fact that it's often only half a fretboard... :lol:

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

benderissimo wrote:If it made the neck pickup sound worse (even just a little) that'd be a deal breaker though.
The thing is it's not worse, just different. Perhaps less creamy, but also less likely to be muddy. A matter of taste really, but unless you did a back-to-back comparison in the manner HG describes, you'd never know whether it was pickup placement or the many differences apparent in a different guitar design.
Some Bozo wrote:This thing against upper frets seems to be specific to guitars. Mandolins often come with completely nutso fretboard extensions and no-one bats an eyelid.
Yes, it usually ends up being "I like Les Pauls and Les Pauls have 22, so I like 22", which isn't really the point of the question.

I'd like to hear an honest explanation from Paul Reed Smith as to why they introduced a 22 fret version. He'd come up with a bollocks answer (and I'm pretty sure I've read his marketing approved answer somewhere), but I bet the truth is that traditionalists refused to be seen with the 24 fret version.

I'd also like to know why Leo Fender stopped at 21 when 22 was perfectly viable without changing anything else. I think Rickenbacker made plenty of 24 fret models back in the good old days and even Gibson did 24 "fret" lap steels.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

15 is plenty for these fat fingers

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

ash wrote:
benderissimo wrote:If it made the neck pickup sound worse (even just a little) that'd be a deal breaker though.
The thing is it's not worse, just different. Perhaps less creamy, but also less likely to be muddy. A matter of taste really, but unless you did a back-to-back comparison in the manner HG describes, you'd never know whether it was pickup placement or the many differences apparent in a different guitar design.
Let me rephrase that- I use the neck pickup about 80% of the time because I love the way it sounds. If the neck position on a 24fret guitar doesn't deliver that same sound, then I'm not interested unless I like the alternative more or the difference is negligible enough not to matter. Other than that and the neck stiffness thing I'm totally not opposed to the idea of a 24fret neck but it's hardly going to be a selling point to me given that I never play higher than about the 17th. The bogan cred and extra dots thing means nothing to me at all- the bogan cred thing is more to do with the kind of guitars that have 24fret necks than the number itself.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

24 frets

Post by Tsuken »

22 for me. However, I would like at least two octaves up the fretboard. So why do I say 22? Two simple reasons: first, my fat stumpy fingers can barely fit in the 22nd fret space on a 25 1/2" scale guitar; second, getting that short an effective string length starts sounding really thin and strangled.

That's why I stuck with 22 on my Ash, even though I do like being able to get the high high e. for me, going from 21 to 22 frets was a muuuuch bigger deal.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

SixGunLover
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by SixGunLover »

In an ideal world, I'd take 24 frets just for the extra options and because I like that subtle change in neck pickup tones (plus I have skinny guitar pickin' fingers), but 22 frets wouldn't put me off either - in fact, almost all the guitars I've owned were 22 frets.

I also agree it's much more annoying with 21 vs. 22 - my Tele has 21 and it can be a pain when doing ridiculous high end solos in E, say.

I suppose most of us have read this article on this issue:
http://www.edroman.com/techarticles/22vs24.htm

What's everyone's thoughts? I don't feel qualified to comment either way (and I feel Ed Roman is a bit of a dick) but would love to hear the opinions of our resident technical experts/luthiers.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

ash wrote:
Yeah, it is just different.

I've found that for me humbuckers take to the neck position of a 24 fret guitar better than single coils. Perhaps the wider string-sensing area helps pick up a sweet spot, or perhaps sometimes the neck-ward coil is closer to the position of a single on a 22 fretter.

In the past I have moved pickups around and listened to the sound change: a case of reading about Ed doing it and following suit. It's an interesting experiment.

I do know that I find the sounds of single coils in the middle and neck position of 24 fretters quite distinctive. I'm not as sure about neck humbuckers but I've often felt that the neck pickup positioning on Doublecut LP specials sounds a bit weird.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Tsuken wrote:22 for me. However, I would like at least two octaves up the fretboard. So why do I say 22? Two simple reasons: first, my fat stumpy fingers can barely fit in the 22nd fret space on a 25 1/2" scale guitar; second, getting that short an effective string length starts sounding really thin and strangled.

That's why I stuck with 22 on my Ash, even though I do like being able to get the high high e. for me, going from 21 to 22 frets was a muuuuch bigger deal.
Of all the responses, yours surprised me the most. With your talent and the musical genre you appear to prefer, I expected 29 frets minimum. :D
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...