guitar set up in akl

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Re: guitar set up in akl

Post by Bg »

yep, sorry you're right. Putting it like that does make sense.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Daza152

Post by Daza152 »

BG wrote:yep, sorry you're right. Putting it like that does make sense.
Image :mrgreen:

TBB Flamey
Gibson

Post by TBB Flamey »

I thought BG quite honourably conceded that point right there. To be honest. But then again, you are probably just being a cheeky bastard, so as you were
Live love leave eat sandwiches

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 859 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

twistedthoughts wrote: Do you think that after a couple of hours you'll be able to set up a guitar the same as a professional luthier with years of experience? I'm talking about the basics here. Like enough to keep your guitar going a little longer between professional set ups. If you're going to target hobbyists who have their gear serviced every five years, then no it wouldn't be particularly lucrative. I think there's enough people like me who need their gear to be in good shape week in / week out who could benefit from something like this without rendering Adrian and Ryan redundant.
I'd go one further and say that in the hands of someone like me a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, and armed with a 2 hr session on how to set up a guitar I reckon I could have all my guitars unplayable within a week and Adrian would have created quite a bit of extra business for himself.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Post by Bg »

TBB Flamey wrote:I thought BG quite honourably conceded that point right there. To be honest. But then again, you are probably just being a cheeky bastard, so as you were
Yes I did actually :) I don't mind admitting for the first time that I may have chosen a slightly incorrect path...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Daza152

Post by Daza152 »

BG wrote:
TBB Flamey wrote:I thought BG quite honourably conceded that point right there. To be honest. But then again, you are probably just being a cheeky bastard, so as you were
Yes I did actually :) I don't mind admitting for the first time that I may have chosen a slightly incorrect path...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtH9fvGMPQM[/youtube] Sorry I doubted you buddy... :oops: :mrgreen:

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Hey Dazzzzz, If a picture is worth a thousand words... and a moving picture is worth a thousand thousand words... why post a clip when a simple yes or no will do?

:barely concealed metaphor for bandwidth... both digital and cerebral:

:eh:

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

twistedthoughts wrote:It would be cool if you could run like a clinic showing people how to do the basics themselves. Like sell tickets and stuff, attendees could get some basic tools as part of the package. You could combine it with Ryan who can show basic amp maintenance or something.

Then I would be able to legitimately claim a trip to Auckland as a deductible expense. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I'd pay $80 to get knowledged up by the pro's. Get 12-15 people to attend (you could probably get that from this board alone), that's $960-$1,200. Buy some cheap tools to give away ~$150-200 or so. Split the profits between the two of you, could be a decent couple of hours' work.

And...yeah. This is the type of shit I think of when I'm bored on a Friday night: ways I can legitimately claim tax deductions.
I've had similar ideas in the vault for a while now. One day I'll do it, but for now it's hard enough to keep up with the real work.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Daza152

Post by Daza152 »

Capt. Black wrote:Hey Dazzzzz, If a picture is worth a thousand words... and a moving picture is worth a thousand thousand words... why post a clip when a simple yes or no will do?

:barely concealed metaphor for bandwidth... both digital and cerebral:

:eh:
You know me, :roll: never take the easy road. :mrgreen: I don't understand the bandwidth thing? does posting video do something to it? when do we get back the black? :crazy:

Cheers.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 261 times

guitar set up in akl

Post by Capt. Black »

Yes. And BGs credit card gets maxed every time.

Daza152

Post by Daza152 »

Capt. Black wrote:Yes. And BGs credit card gets maxed every time.
Sorry man. can't we go back to the way it was?

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 702 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I've been late on this one too.

Ash is excellent. He's done two of my guitars and has been great.

I've got a body and neck hanging around, and he's going to sort all the other bits I need, and put it all together.

I'm quite excited about it!!!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Actually I'd like to know how to shim a neck without considerably altering the tone of the guitar. Probably outside the scope of your usual setup though.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7930 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

badmotor wrote:Actually I'd like to know how to shim a neck without considerably altering the tone of the guitar. Probably outside the scope of your usual setup though.
If you used threaded inserts in the neck instead of screws you'd get a better connection with the body, might make all the difference, or shave the other end of the neck pocket?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

jeremyb wrote:
badmotor wrote:Actually I'd like to know how to shim a neck without considerably altering the tone of the guitar. Probably outside the scope of your usual setup though.
If you used threaded inserts in the neck instead of screws you'd get a better connection with the body, might make all the difference, or shave the other end of the neck pocket?
Probably shave the neck heel is the best answer... I guess I'm getting into "Ask the luthier" territory.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.