guitar set up in akl

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Re: guitar set up in akl

Post by Bg »

badmotor wrote:Actually I'd like to know how to shim a neck without considerably altering the tone of the guitar. Probably outside the scope of your usual setup though.
People have been shimming necks for years, including Fender. I would say anything over the thickness of a business card or so and I'd be making a wooden shim. Theres always microtilt - that isn't exactly a perfect wood to wood joint and no-one seems that bothered.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Post by Slowy »

Nash guitars just chuck a pick in there. And they seem proud of it too. :eh:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Ha ha. I've shimmed plenty in the past, it just seems this particular one is a bit temperamental - looses bass and some sustain.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

If it's enough to notice a tonal chance, make a tapered wood veneer shim that covers the whole neck pocket area. Don't hack at the heel or pocket or install unnecessary hardware.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

ash wrote:If it's enough to notice a tonal chance, make a tapered wood veneer shim that covers the whole neck pocket area. Don't hack at the heel or pocket or install unnecessary hardware.
Is there any tonal advantage to angling a Fender style neck back like a Les Paul?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Yes - If your tone is too full and rich and you would prefer it weedy and thin, try an ill-fitting neck shim ;)

This is the tip of an ugly iceberg of untruths that fuel the internet. I don't have time to unveil it all, but suffice to say that the difference between bolt-on and set necks is more to do with the difference between the rest of the guitars in question - ie Fenders vs Les Pauls.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

That sounds like a good topic for your first column on Six-String Samurai ;)
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

slash-ed wrote:That sounds like a good topic for your first column on Six-String Samurai ;)
I was going to say fourth or fifth, but that would make it sound like the first was imminent ;)

Getting there...

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

:lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

ash wrote:...
This is the tip of an ugly iceberg of untruths that fuel the internet. I don't have time to unveil it all, but suffice to say that the difference between bolt-on and set necks is more to do with the difference between the rest of the guitars in question - ie Fenders vs Les Pauls.
Apparently Fender used to chuck shims in from the factory using ex-employee business cards?... i.e. keep the part that says 'Fender' and cut off the employee name and throw it in the trash. :D

There's alot of crap out there... Sandpaper? Copper foil? Veneer? People using shims to actually revoice the guitar? I guess it's a matter of making sure energy is being transferred properly from neck to guitar no matter how you do it.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Post by Bg »

the humble business card is my weapon of choice, got to do something with them at 500 a box
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

I've been doing some experiments today, and it's amazing the tonal differences materials and fractions of a millimetre make.

Slice of business card: wasn't enough angle
Ever so slightly thicker slice of card (we are taking fractions here): too much angle and killed bass and sustain.
Square of sandpaper with a lip folded over to create a 'tier' (Ash cringes in workshop): Tone not too bad and angle is good.

Last one is a temporary measure I think, until I can get some wood to make a wedge.

edit: Nerd out!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

badmotor wrote:I've been doing some experiments today, and it's amazing the tonal differences materials and fractions of a millimetre make.

Square of sandpaper with a lip folded over to create a 'tier' (Ash cringes in workshop): Tone not too bad and angle is good.
Corksnortling heaven!
More about the paper:
Brand, type, grit, did you fold the abrasive in or out? Was it new paper or pre-aged by smoothing the toenails of young virgin girls? What happens if you use paper of a different colour?

So many possibilities!

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

badmotor wrote:I've been doing some experiments today, and it's amazing the tonal differences materials and fractions of a millimetre make.
Were you adjusting the action and intonation back to the same measurements each time?

If not those indirect changes are the more likely to be the source of the tonal effects than the angle, material or contact.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

ash wrote:
Were you adjusting the action and intonation back to the same measurements each time?

If not those indirect changes are the more likely to be the source of the tonal effects than the angle, material or contact.
I'm probably adding to useless speculation... to be honest, it wasn't the same exact measurements it was more like doing it by eye and feel to get it 'kinda the same' each time.

*disclaimer for setup learners: Badmotors' experiments are far from scientific and should not used as a guide.