Customs Fees.... 2nd Hand

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Breed777
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Customs Fees.... 2nd Hand

Post by Breed777 »

So.... if I buy a second hand guitar from Oz and get it sent here, is it still subject to customs fees if its a)second hand b) not from a retail store?

If so... couldnt I just say its a family member sending me my own property? is there a way around it?

Cheers guys

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Customs Fees.... 2nd Hand

Post by Tonemaker »

Breed777 wrote:So.... if I buy a second hand guitar from Oz and get it sent here, is it still subject to customs fees if its a)second hand b) not from a retail store?

If so... couldnt I just say its a family member sending me my own property? is there a way around it?

Cheers guys
Trying to avoid customs fees can possible save your money, however if you list a value of the item for a silly price such as 250.00 nzd and the item is worth 2500.00nzd and arrives damaged, you can only claim 250.00nzd. Also, if you claim 250.00 and customs call you on it, they can really make your life miserable or possibly even confiscate the item, you also could get hit with other fines and get a mark against your name.. If the guitar is worth alot, some people would probably prefer to take a flight and go pick it up so you can inspect it and bring it back personally. About the Insured part of it, I think one or two people from here have received damaged guitars so I guess it does happen.. If the fees are 100- ??? maybe consider the risk..
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by cholera »

I just bought one for 1200AUD, and have a friend bringing it over. If he says it's his, I'm hoping I won't have to pay customs....One thing I do need to sort out tho is whether he has travel insurance. Does anyone know if airlines generally cover any luggage if you have no extra insurance yr self?
I just harrassed all my mates over there and sure enough found someone within the week....I was prepared to wait a while to save shipping and GST which all up would probably have been about 250 bucks NZ.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

You'll need to pay GST and a customs handling fee (which isn't much) if it's over $400 NZ including shipping. Factor that in regardless and count it as a bonus if it happens to slip through the net.

EDIT: That may be irrelevant if someone is bringing it with them as luggage. Who's to say that they aren't bringing it here to play?

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

cholera wrote:Does anyone know if airlines generally cover any luggage if you have no extra insurance yr self?
in short, NO. get travel insurance. however, claiming on a lost/stolen/damaged second hand instrument might prove difficult as insurance companies will inevitably require proof of purchase / receipt to determine replacement value.
Little by little, by hook or by crook

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

benderissimo wrote:You'll need to pay GST and a customs handling fee (which isn't much) if it's over $400 NZ including shipping. Factor that in regardless and count it as a bonus if it happens to slip through the net.

EDIT: That may be irrelevant if someone is bringing it with them as luggage. Who's to say that they aren't bringing it here to play?

If they do say they are bringing it to play, and they think you have a playing a paying gig, they could be refused entry altogether... been watching way too much border security!!!
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Clarky »

I've flown to Oz & back a few times for gigs. Just make sure they have travel insurance and check the guitar & case in as baggage. I've never had any issues or hassle.
Konx om Pax

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

Tonemaker wrote: If they do say they are bringing it to play, and they think you have a playing a paying gig, they could be refused entry altogether... been watching way too much border security!!!
not if they're an aussie coming to NZ (or a kiwi returning)... no visas required

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time

Post by shinenz »

Score, if you can get it in with insurance, as i would if going to Aussie with a guitar, then mint.... be pretty standard traveling if its in a hardcase right? And by the way, fuk customs and ther sur charge bullshit
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by SimpleSi »

About 7 years ago I imported an Ibanez JEM7VSBL (Blue JEM) into NZ from the USA which cost around $3500 NZD... I didn't have to pay any GST..

I guess because it was 2nd hand customs didn't pick it up as a purchase.. even though it was clearly marked as such..

I also didn't pay GST on an acoustic i shipped in from the USA either..

I'm either having really good luck or it'll bite me in the rear in a few years...

Si
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times

Post by cholera »

I think you got really lucky, but I don't see how it can come back on you now. I got my guitar bought in from Aussie sweet as, no insurance, because the guy left before I could sort it anyway. No GST because we had a story worked out: he was bringing it over for me to borrow fr a recording, my mate was a little freaked that they were going to make him open the case and play Slayer songs or something! Only hassle with the whole thing was when I called his house after he got into the country, and his mum accused me of smuggling (which I guess technically it is) and I don't think she was actually joking. Some people are just sticklers for rules I guess.

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

jimi wrote:
Tonemaker wrote: If they do say they are bringing it to play, and they think you have a playing a paying gig, they could be refused entry altogether... been watching way too much border security!!!
not if they're an aussie coming to NZ (or a kiwi returning)... no visas required
+1

I've never had any issues with guitars travelling to Oz and back.
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1389 times
Been liked: 2132 times

Post by GrantB »

Customs can claim gst up to a year or two later I think. ...but likelihood is low if its already got through.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7908 times
Been liked: 4257 times

Post by jeremyb »

Funny story, my buddy whose $2500 US 3d printer got delivered here to work with no gst or anything applied was super stoked, then the company got the bill for the GST a couple of months later :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

SimpleSi wrote:I'm either having really good luck or it'll bite me in the rear in a few years...

Si
This is lucky. :)
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.