Justifying purchases

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Justifying purchases

Post by druz15 »

Zaulkin wrote:Well yeah.

Do you ever just kind of go 'yeah, I have too much stuff', or 'I don't really *need* that', or 'I don't deserve this' or 'I could have saved the money/gone overseas' blah.

I guess if you just put away '$x' each week into a gear fund and just be happy with that then it's not so bad.
it's this kind of silly thinking that almost stopped me from buying my White Falcon.

Stray from these thoughts, to the dark side belong they do
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 762 times
Been liked: 532 times

Post by Zaulkin »

druz15 wrote:
Zaulkin wrote: it's this kind of silly thinking that almost stopped me from buying my White Falcon.

Stray from these thoughts, to the dark side belong they do
Indeed. :D

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 762 times
Been liked: 532 times

Post by Zaulkin »

jimi wrote:Take up fishing, or horse riding, or racing... playing guitars a pretty cheap hobby, and you play gigs so you get some $$ back, its part investment as well as toy.

Not knowing your financial situation its not really fair to give advice like if you want it go for it, or if you can afford it then go for it, but as long as you aren't buying on credit / finance then there's no big harm. If you can get it 2nd hand then there's not as much loss on resale which should make it an easier decision - if it was the wrong choice then flick it, you lost a couple of hand shandy, no big deal.
I can't afford it right now, but if I save up and sell some stuff then I could eventually get one. It might be worth waiting to see what Line 6 come out with next. Maybe I'll find a well priced Ultra or Kemper... We'll see.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

This is why I build my own guitars, then I don't need to justify them to any one because I haven't spent much $$ on them :geek:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Playing music and playing nice guitars with a great sound is what makes me happiest in this short old life. I make ok money but not enough to just go silly everytime I find a nice guitar. Ive managed to build up a family of 5 really nice electrics (of which 2 I play/gig with regularly; my workhorses) and the others kinda just sit there. I might sell one, a PRS Mcsoapy but I dont see the point. That said I really couldnt justify buying any more guitars for quite a while. Ive got a couple nice amps that give me any tone I want.

Alot of people would say Ive got too much, others might say Ive got hardly anything. Its all relative, life is short, go hard on what you love doing the most.
Loving it so far

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

I don't think I can justify them to be honest. But, to get the sound I want, I need to fork out for it - it's a catch 22/angel on one shoulder, devil the other scenario.

I am really disappointed at the pricing of certain guitars and amps these days. A guy like me, who doesn't earn much, but has expensive taste... it's a bugger. Even if I did have a more expendable income, I still wouldn't be happy paying the price certain manufacturers want - and being in this ripoff country makes it even tougher, where everything is overpriced to start with, then all the added costs + middlemen markup... :crazy:
Make Music Great Again

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

StratMatt88 wrote:I might sell one, a PRS Mcsoapy...
Could be interested. More info please. :)
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Edwards
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Edwards »

Imho. 1 or 4k extra spent can give you some subtle improvements over what an Epi thru a Peavey Bandit sounds like. That you will notice but many others wont. But if you have the $ you may as well spend them. Nice gear is always a pleasure to play.
ESP Edwards Jimmy Page Les Paul / ESP Eclipse > Rivera Quiana 212
We are the Christians that the devil warned you about

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I would say go for it, as long as you aren’t getting heavily into debt, and you’re using the gear, and also be smart and buy stuff with good resale.

There will come a time when you’re like me - married, couple of kids, big mortgage. I’m not miserable, crushed under the weight of responsibility, and I’m not poor, but I still have to think before I buy strings. We might need that $50. I’m certainly not buying pedals any more, and my only new guitar in the last 6-7 years is an old Yamaha nylon that was $140 on TM. I really need a second acoustic, and I can’t see it happening . . .

I’m really, really glad that I got myself a great pro-level acoustic and electric gigging rig and some studio gear before I got married and all that. It would have been very hard to fit buying that stuff around the wife, kids, university postgrad and now the house.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Now that I'm no longer married, my only justification is: Do I have enough money? Right now, the answer is no.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

For me it's a hobby I enjoy, and even though I don't/won't/can't gig I enjoy owning and tinkering with nice guitars. I found it hard to let some old stuff go but I seem to have got over that now which helps.

I'm getting on a bit now so I'm buying these for pleasure of ownership as opposed to any idea they might get used as proper work tools, I'm kind of holding on to some stuff in the expectation that the kids will want to use them as they grow up. For example I really fancy upgrading my Taylor in a couple of years time, and I'm fairly hopeful that by that point in time my 10/5yr old daughter will be ready to take over the 114. Likewise I have an Epi Zakk Wylde with a proper set of EMGs in it that I would trade to buy a better Les Paul, but it was my breakthrough guitar for learning on and I doubt I'd get enough for it so I'll likely hang on to it incase the young lad wants it if he gets into that sort of music (I'm hoping against all hope at least one of them wants a full Marshall stack one day ;) )

So I justfiy it as personal pleasure and wanting to own nice/decent stuff.

I also try and trade stuff on if I can now which is much better. I've just upgraded my multi-fx system so I really need to move on my HD500 but it's looking like that might be better off being held onto now unless I get rid of it soonish

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Conway wrote:
Will def put it up here first if I do decide to let her go! I just need to familiarise myself with it a bit more first. I swapped a '12 Clapton strat for it but havent played it much yet :/
Loving it so far

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 683 times
Been liked: 578 times

Post by TmcB »

To be fair, I don't think I deserve my LP, with my current playing ability it feel analogous to a kid wearing dad's suit jackets around. I also think of $$$ tied up in it and go "hmmm....."

Then I play it, and everything is all right with the world.

My issue is that if I don't use something enough, it's automatically moved to the chopping block which is great for experimenting but you find yourself thinking "actually, I could have really used that now."
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

StratMatt88 wrote:
Conway wrote:
Will def put it up here first if I do decide to let her go! I just need to familiarise myself with it a bit more first. I swapped a '12 Clapton strat for it but havent played it much yet :/
Ah, was that swap with trademe member "ballaseyre" (who is on this forum as Molly)? If so, I know the PRS and would be interested, if/when you come to sell it. I also have several guitars that could be open for swaps for it - if you're interested, let me know. Cheers. :)

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

TmcB wrote:To be fair, I don't think I deserve my LP, with my current playing ability it feel analogous to a kid wearing dad's suit jackets around.
Man, I definitely do not go along with that idea. Otherwise I'd only deserve to have one cheap and nasty beaten up old dunga!

I do think playing a quality guitar helps improve your playing.