Mod or New Guitar?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Ameliohorne
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Mod or New Guitar?

Post by Ameliohorne »

Hi, I'll be looking to upgrade my rig later this year and there are 3 things I'm thinking of doing:

Buying an LP59 from artist guitars or a Japanese squier/fender.

Modding my current LP diy kit Les Paul (Hums a lot due to faulty output and bridge pickup doesn't work).

Or buying a cheap guitar with room for humbuckers and Mod that.

Thoughts and reasoning behind that?

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Re: Mod or New Guitar?

Post by JHorner »

Ameliohorne wrote:Buying an LP59 from artist guitars

Modding my current LP diy kit Les Paul (Hums a lot due to faulty output and bridge pickup doesn't work).

That all sounds a bit like throwing good money after bad.

The artist website tells me the LP59 is about $550 NZD.

I've seen good condition second hand Epiphone LP Standards go for less than that on trademe, but you'll need to be patient and not too fussy about colour. It'll be a better guitar and more easily re-sold later on.

Ameliohorne wrote:or a Japanese squier/fender.
With a $550 budget and some patience, you could probably get a second hand squier standard and still have a couple hundred or more still in your pocket.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 916820.htm

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 959 times

Post by Reg18 »

I don't know anything about the LP59, it might be a great guitar but I think there are other LP copy's avaialable S/H or new in NZ which are pretty good for around your budget. The Vintage Les Pauls available at Rockshop are really good for the price, always surprised at how well they play and sound with the Wilkinson pickups, doubt they would need any modding. And as mentioned a S/H Epiphone LP is a great option too. There are a lot of guitars sub 1k these days that are great and easily gigable. If your kit guitar is giving some issues now I don't think it would be worth pursuing with unless it has centememtal value.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2516 times

Post by Slowy »

Is the process of modding your guitar what you're really interested in? If so, a second hand Squier or SX would be a good place to start. If, on the other hand you are wanting a better player, look for something by Vintage. Much of their product is seriously under rated and great value.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Ameliohorne
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Ameliohorne »

JHorner wrote:
Ameliohorne wrote:

That all sounds a bit like throwing good money after bad.

The artist website tells me the LP59 is about $550 NZD.

I've seen good condition second hand Epiphone LP Standards go for less than that on trademe, but you'll need to be patient and not too fussy about colour. It'll be a better guitar and more easily re-sold later on.

The LP59 is about $100 less than you said and has "past participle of get" outstanding reviews, some even comparing it to Gibson. The one thing that the epiphone has over it is coil split and I've never seen an epiphone standard selling for below $700

But thanks for the advice.

Ameliohorne
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Ameliohorne »

Slowy wrote:Is the process of modding your guitar what you're really interested in? If so, a second hand Squier or SX would be a good place to start. If, on the other hand you are wanting a better player, look for something by Vintage. Much of their product is seriously under rated and great value.
That's a toughy, you see, I very interested in modding guitars, but I'm quite horrible at it... I'm more of a les Paul type guy, that's why if I got a fender it would need humbuckers probably. But yeah, I am looking to improve also so I'll probably take one of your pieces of advice, I just don't know which one to take!

Thanks for the advice.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by JHorner »

Ameliohorne wrote:The one thing that the epiphone has over it is coil split and I've never seen an epiphone standard selling for below $700
The other thing the secondhand epiphone has is that you can resell it for about what you paid for it.

A new artist doesn't have that.
Ameliohorne wrote:I've never seen an epiphone standard selling for below $700
If you check trademe regularly and are patient, then you will.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by JHorner »

Ameliohorne wrote:I've never seen an epiphone standard selling for below $700
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2929011 ... 313055998/
$600 including hardcase and shipping.
And he's had it on there for ages and bumped it on 13 April. In those circumstances, you could offer him $550.

And that's with 5 minutes of looking ;)

That said, if I were you I'd wait for something to come up in your area so you can go play it first.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7906 times
Been liked: 4252 times

Post by jeremyb »

Epiphones are rubbish, keep an eye out for a secondhand vintage or tokai, will be within your budget and a TON better than an epiphone :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by JHorner »

jeremyb wrote:Epiphones are rubbish, keep an eye out for a secondhand vintage or tokai, will be within your budget and a TON better than an epiphone :)
Don't listen to him, he's an Ibanez player :p

He's right about the pricing though:

Tokai Love Rock $550
http://www.trademe.co.nz/1074379799

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2516 times

Post by Slowy »

JHorner wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Epiphones are rubbish, keep an eye out for a secondhand vintage or tokai, will be within your budget and a TON better than an epiphone :)
Don't listen to him, he's an Ibanez player :p

He's right about the pricing though:

Tokai Love Rock $550
http://www.trademe.co.nz/1074379799
That's a scary shine! :shock: Probably a good buy though.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

danmunners
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by danmunners »

If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, like others have said, second hand is the way to go. Bargains pop up all the time on trademe and facebook. You just need to be on the lookout.

Ameliohorne
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Ameliohorne »

JHorner wrote:The other thing the secondhand epiphone has is that you can resell it for about what you paid for it.
I couldn't imagine me getting my money back for an epiphone or squier, maybe you could with Gibson or Fender, but epiphone and squier are Chinese manufactured only used for a cheap alternative. I really couldn't see myself making more than 3 quarters back on an epiphone.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Ameliohorne wrote:Hi, I'll be looking to upgrade my rig later this year and there are 3 things I'm thinking of doing:

Buying an LP59 from artist guitars or a Japanese squier/fender.

Thoughts and reasoning behind that?

where do you live? .. if close'ish to me would be happy to have a look at your kitset guitar for ya to see whats up with it and what can be done to make it "better"
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

Ameliohorne wrote:The LP59 is about $100 less than you said and has "Past participle of get." outstanding reviews, some even comparing it to Gibson.
Everyone who buys a LP copy says that. Its that warm fuzzy time after buying something new and telling yourself how awesome it is, just as good as that 4k Gibson hanging on the wall that was too high up for you to have a go on when the shop assistant wasn't looking, even better maybe! Search the reviews of Edwards guitars on this forum for evidence of this.