Mod or New Guitar?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 251 times

Re: Mod or New Guitar?

Post by Kiwiaxe »

That Tokai is a lot of guitar for the money

Simple fact in NZ... If it's not Gibson or Fender you get shafted on resale. Great if you are buying secondhand and buy it cheap. Ass otherwise. And this goes as much for say PRS or Suhr as it will for Artist (just with a different number of zeroes).

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 529 times
Been liked: 356 times

Post by WellyBlues »

I suggest that when it comes time then give the forum the heads up and you'll get lots of honest and fair advice. Some around here don't like Epiphones but some do. The reality is that Epiphone has a range going from cheap POS to well spec'd and built stuff with a $1000 price difference between them. 'Vintage' brand are generally well regarded, but the one I tried I didn't like the feel of the neck (in the hand experience, see below). Saying all that, ask the forum closer to the time and you'll get the good oil on new and secondhand stuff (facebook and trademe). You might even get a good offer from someone on the forum. Timing is everything!

One thing is to have a budget in mind. That will be the first question you'll get asked. The more budget the more options.

And, if you can, try before you buy. The 'in the hand' experience is really important. Example, the neck profiles can make a huge difference to your ongoing experience.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

actually looking at the "artist" website, i'm pretty sure I have one of the LP59 guitars, just under a different name ... if it is the same (headstock , neck behind the nut exactly same shape etc) then its is a pretty cool guitar but not on the same level as a epiphone or chinese tokai. Not worth $500 (I paid about $80 and $120 for mine)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

danmunners
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by danmunners »

I was looking for a strat a few months back. I tried out a bunch at my local music shop. Didn't like any of the fender mexicans sound and the set-up was off on a few. Some of the americans were nice and the custom shop was nice but way outside my price range. After a bit of research and trademe/facebook watching I found a used classic vibe 60s strat for cheap. After I set it up it played nicer than most of the mexican fenders I tested and as nice as the americans. I changed out the pickups for Seymour Duncan SSL-1s, changed the pickguard, upgraded the electronics and popped in a steel tremolo block (the block and electronics made no difference to the sound, they were just for my preference). Now it looks, sounds and plays just how I want it.

I'm a big fan of trying out lots of guitars before you buy. Try out the expensive ones and the cheap ones so you can get an idea of what feels good in your hands, what sounds good to you and what you like the look of. That way you can make a well-informed decision with the budget you have available.

edit: Also, if you're not a sucker for punishment like me, it might be worth saving the extra money to get a skilled luthier to set up the guitar. I did my own set up but I bought at least $100 worth of tools and it took me many, many hours of reading, watching videos and then quite a few hours adjusting things to get everything just as I liked it.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 973 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

:mental:

Ameliohorne
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Ameliohorne »

willow13 wrote:actually looking at the "artist" website, i'm pretty sure I have one of the LP59 guitars, just under a different name ... if it is the same (headstock , neck behind the nut exactly same shape etc) then its is a pretty cool guitar but not on the same level as a epiphone or chinese tokai. Not worth $500 (I paid about $80 and $120 for mine)
That would be an lp60 which is their beginner les Paul. Their lp59 is their top guitar at the moment and in a shootout video with an epiphone standard pro, The epiphone was called a little nicer, but only like $50 nicer, not $500 nicer.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1230 times
Been liked: 1416 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I have a Hamer Monaco which I picked up recently. I have done a full setup with a new set of 10's and its a really nice guitar, it has Duncan Designed pickups HB103, set neck. However... I have my an eye on a Vox guitar and if that deal happens the Hamer will be up for sale. $275 including a hard case, I'd put it up against those Epiphones any day of the week.

looks like this

"Revolt Against the Solid State"

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Hamer will be up for sale. $275 including a hard case
OP should take that deal if it comes up.