Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by Candeevr4 »

SimonHirst wrote:I just saw a video which contained some of the Gibson one :shock: I know he is working for Gibson now but who is that Mark guy? Is he from a band or something?
Mark used to be the store manager @ Norman's Rare Guitars in LA, so bit of an instagram/youtube star.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1395 times
Been liked: 2137 times

Post by GrantB »

TmcB wrote:
I feel you don’t like Capitalism very much
The prize is much bigger for shareholders if Gibson comes across differently.

Protect IP, absolutely, but execute it appropriately. To me this ‘threat’ they wanted to deliver sounds like it came from the bloated legal Dept who suddenly realised next weeks diary was looking a bit empty.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

Candeevr4 wrote:
SimonHirst wrote:I just saw a video which contained some of the Gibson one :shock: I know he is working for Gibson now but who is that Mark guy? Is he from a band or something?
Mark used to be the store manager @ Norman's Rare Guitars in LA, so bit of an instagram/youtube star.
Oh right!! Ha! Well, at least he’s got the important qualities then right?!... haha. Certainly appears he has that approachable, people-person type personality, albeit in a confrontational, semi threatening, alienating-many-of-your-core-demographic type of way :lolno:

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

GrantB wrote:
TmcB wrote:
I feel you don’t like Capitalism very much
The prize is much bigger for shareholders if Gibson comes across differently.

Protect IP, absolutely, but execute it appropriately. To me this ‘threat’ they wanted to deliver sounds like it came from the bloated legal Dept who suddenly realised next weeks diary was looking a bit empty.
Although I still think Toany's tongue was still firmly in his cheek with that comment, I reckon you're on the money about Gibson's legal department.
Tin arse!!

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 683 times
Been liked: 578 times

Post by TmcB »

Terexgeek wrote: Lol, if the shoe fits!

Actually you raised a good point though, Fender does seem to go from strength to strength even though there's a plethora of high quality Fender shaped instruments in the market, some designed by Leo himself. Gibson could just carbon copy Fender or carbon copy PRS and sleepwalk to success, and there would be some cool guitars for all.
Absolutely – they're in no danger of dying out. Looking at Fender, the reason they've succeeded is that they know what they aren't and have generally let the rest of the market fill in the gaps. They know that being a mass-producer they can't really play in the rarified air as well as a Suhr-type shop can (customshop is cool but you know, not really a big money spinner) but they can make solid one-size-fits most instruments.

Gibson has put their prices in the Suhr/boutique zone with a 10th of the quality and none of paying attention to the customer and seem surprised things don't magically fall into place.

New CEO seems to be angling to run it very similarly to what he's familiar with (mass-fashion production) which will be an interesting experiment. Kinda stupid to go after other builders when you need to set your own house in order.

Seems a pretty straightforward direction to go up – drop prices, increase QA, stick to your knitting and you'll get back your customers but this is Gibson so y'know, crack out the popcorn and watch it slip on the banana peel.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

They’re so backward it’s actually making me red in the face.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 973 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Totally overrated guitars imho
:mental:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7929 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

Stolen from Ed on faceys :lol:

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

GrantB wrote: Protect IP, absolutely, but execute it appropriately. To me this ‘threat’ they wanted to deliver sounds like it came from the bloated legal Dept who suddenly realised next weeks diary was looking a bit empty.
I certainly don't agree with what they're doing, and I agree with how they're doing it even less.

HOWEVER I remember from a previous life that the regulations around IP protection, especially Trademarks (and you can/do trademark shapes) mean you have to agressively assert and protect your trademarks at all times otherwise they can be struck down very easily.

When a new company/managment takes over it's probably doubly important to protect or else someone can show/claim that you obviously no longer care and therefore the should be struck off.

So lawyers making money for lawyers and all that...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7929 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2504 times
Been liked: 2821 times

Post by Molly »

jeremyb wrote:The fuckery begins.... https://guitar.com/news/industry-news/g ... _campaign=
They even threatened Gil Yaron so I suppose nobody's safe. Big or small.

Maybe the new guy is being more assertive. One way to increase market share is to reduce the market. I wonder if they'll take-on PRS again.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 595 times

Post by godgrinder »

Molly wrote:They even threatened Gil Yaron so I suppose nobody's safe. Big or small.
Is he still in Israel? He'll probably be alright.

There's a reason why North American models and domestic models of ESP Eclipse look different...
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1395 times
Been liked: 2137 times

Post by GrantB »

"Guitar making goes corporate" so hot right now....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2504 times
Been liked: 2821 times

Post by Molly »

godgrinder wrote:
Molly wrote:They even threatened Gil Yaron so I suppose nobody's safe. Big or small.
Is he still in Israel? He'll probably be alright.

There's a reason why North American models and domestic models of ESP Eclipse look different...
His response was to stop copying their designs. He said he figured it was their property - or something like that.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3531 times
Been liked: 1098 times

Post by codedog »