NGD: MIJ Jazzmaster

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 595 times

Re: NGD: MIJ Jazzmaster

Post by godgrinder »

Starfire wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:47 am These newer MIJs have a little neck pocket angle, which tends to fix the sometimes-issue of lighter strings jumping out of the saddles.
That might explain why I haven't run into any issue... yet.
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:42 am Other things you might consider are upgrading the vibrato spring from the stock japanese one. You can go all the way upgrading the whole vibrato to a avri if your a wiggle snob.
Pickups tend to be a weak point of mij JMs tho this might have changed since I last checked. Lots of great upgrade options there. I have some avri sets and other misc ones about if you go that way.
I haven't really thought about what to do with this guitar yet so no idea about pickup swaps yet. I noticed that pickup cover is big enough to hide pretty much any pickup beneath so that's reassuring.

I like doing MBV gliders but I seem to do it better on a floyd rose lol.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 603 times

Post by Starfire »

Pretty sure these heritage models have much better pickups than you used to get in MIJ Jazzmasters. Proper wide, flat Jazzmaster pickups and not just Strat pickups under a Jazzmaster cover. Worth living with for a bit and not immediately binning, which used to be the standard advice.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

Starfire wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:41 pm Pretty sure these heritage models have much better pickups than you used to get in MIJ Jazzmasters. Proper wide, flat Jazzmaster pickups and not just Strat pickups under a Jazzmaster cover. Worth living with for a bit and not immediately binning, which used to be the standard advice.
The Inoran sig I tried has American Vintage ‘65 pickups and I still thought this one sounded better to me. Might be down to ash vs alder though.
Amps:

Rack stuff:

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Starfire »

godgrinder wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:50 pm
Starfire wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:41 pm Pretty sure these heritage models have much better pickups than you used to get in MIJ Jazzmasters. Proper wide, flat Jazzmaster pickups and not just Strat pickups under a Jazzmaster cover. Worth living with for a bit and not immediately binning, which used to be the standard advice.
The Inoran sig I tried has American Vintage ‘65 pickups and I still thought this one sounded better to me. Might be down to ash vs alder though.
I love the AV65s, but some find them way too bright. Its all subjective.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

Spent some more time with it and I think I'd like a bit more output and mids from the bridge pickup but without going into P90 ballpark. What's good in that aspect? Lollar? Novak JM-Fat?
Amps:

Rack stuff:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7907 times
Been liked: 4257 times

Post by jeremyb »

godgrinder wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:32 pm Spent some more time with it and I think I'd like a bit more output and mids from the bridge pickup but without going into P90 ballpark. What's good in that aspect? Lollar? Novak JM-Fat?
Have a talk to Glyn, I'm sure he can custom wind you something magic for your needs! https://mrglynspickups.com/mr-glyns-pic ... ge-single/
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 1396 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

godgrinder wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:32 pm Spent some more time with it and I think I'd like a bit more output and mids from the bridge pickup but without going into P90 ballpark. What's good in that aspect? Lollar? Novak JM-Fat?
If you can find a used Jess louerio telemaster set then you'll be happy..
I was thinking of measuring the specs on mine and asking glynn to make a slightly tweaked version.of the same.
Last edited by StrummersOfThunder on Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1124 times
Been liked: 1453 times

Post by robthemac »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:58 pm
I was thinking of measuring the specs on mine and asking Flynn to make a slightly tweaked version.of the same.
Walter White's kid?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

I have a Lollar on the way, will report back next week.
Amps:

Rack stuff:

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

OK the Lollar basically did what I expected tone wise. But Lollar does RWRP for bridge pickup instead of neck. Now both pickups in the guitar are RWRP so I lost the mid position hum cancelling. I might put the stock bridge pickup in the neck position sometime later.
Amps:

Rack stuff:

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 1396 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

godgrinder wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:20 pm OK the Lollar basically did what I expected tone wise. But Lollar does RWRP for bridge pickup instead of neck. Now both pickups in the guitar are RWRP so I lost the mid position hum cancelling. I might put the stock bridge pickup in the neck position sometime later.
I've got the specs for my JL telemaster bridge. You could get Glyn to wind you one. Infact,get him to wind two and Ill buy one as I need one for another JM I have.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1663 times
Been liked: 1314 times

Post by Jay »

godgrinder wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:20 pm OK the Lollar basically did what I expected tone wise. But Lollar does RWRP for bridge pickup instead of neck. Now both pickups in the guitar are RWRP so I lost the mid position hum cancelling. I might put the stock bridge pickup in the neck position sometime later.
Flip the magnet in one of them. Done.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by AiRdAd »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:45 pm
I've got the specs for my JL telemaster bridge. You could get Glyn to wind you one. Infact,get him to wind two and Ill buy one as I need one for another JM I have.
Seriously, I'll buy one too.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Starfire »

Jay wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:50 pm
Flip the magnet in one of them. Done.
Probably less faff to just put the old bridge pickup in the neck position. It's likely identical anyway, with the exception of the wind direction, polarity, and the usual +/- 5% or whatever tolerance. Jazzmasters tend to use pickups of the same spec in both positions.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:45 pm
I actually have a spare Bareknuckle tele pickup which I can probably hide under the JM pickup cover? Might try that at some point when I get bored of the Lollar haha.
Amps:

Rack stuff: