Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Litterick
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 90 times

Re: Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

Post by Litterick »

goldtop0 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:25 am
GrantB wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:42 pm Gibson are less mockworthy now, since Henry Juszkiewicz was kicked to touch.

That's a fact, they've gone from strength to strength since '19.
However they're not perfect and their guitars are generally costly but they sell all that they produce and are one of the 'big boys' of musical instrument manufacture.
'19

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1377 times
Been liked: 2107 times

Post by GrantB »

Firebird X - Henry's version of Homer's car

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1052 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Litterick wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:57 am
GrantB wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:42 pm Gibson are less mockworthy now, since Henry Juszkiewicz was kicked to touch.

However they're not perfect and their guitars are generally costly but they sell all that they produce and are one of the 'big boys' of musical instrument manufacture.
'19

I wonder if in the future, any of the Firebird Xs that actually made it to the marketplace will be worth an absolute ton because of their rarity? If you found a Moderne from the 1950s (granted, they may have never actually existed) you could pretty much retire on the price and those things were pretty goddamn ugly as well.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by goldtop0 »

kdawg2a wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:49 pm

'19

I wonder if in the future, any of the Firebird Xs that actually made it to the marketplace will be worth an absolute ton because of their rarity?

That last of the Henry J experimental era stuff('15-'18) falls into the 'file 13' category I think, as with the Marauder and Les Paul Professional from bygone decades there's just no fascination with the quirkiness and complicatedness of the beasties, too ungainly and irrelevant for guitar players. We want tone not gizmos.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by JoeBlow »

NGDays should be incredibly pleasurable - but this:

https://youtube.com/shorts/KIZvFpesb80? ... CH7Pzv6DkW

is no bueno. Why would a headstock break with no damage to the box :?

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 644 times
Been liked: 810 times

Post by hamo »

goldtop0 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:42 am

'19

I wonder if in the future, any of the Firebird Xs that actually made it to the marketplace will be worth an absolute ton because of their rarity?

That last of the Henry J experimental era stuff('15-'18) falls into the 'file 13' category I think, as with the Marauder and Les Paul Professional from bygone decades there's just no fascination with the quirkiness and complicatedness of the beasties, too ungainly and irrelevant for guitar players. We want tone not gizmos.
Amazing how much money we spend on gizmos to chase that tone though... :mrgreen:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

goldtop0 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:42 am

'19

We want the guitars we wanted when we were young. We want to fulfil our teenage dreams. We want a Strat, and a Les Paul. We want guitars designed in the '50s. We are not interested in quirkiness — we can buy pedals for that.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1124 times
Been liked: 1445 times

Post by robthemac »

'19

I wonder if in the future, any of the Firebird Xs that actually made it to the marketplace will be worth an absolute ton because of their rarity? If you found a Moderne from the 1950s (granted, they may have never actually existed) you could pretty much retire on the price and those things were pretty goddamn ugly as well.
A did a quick Reverb search and they look to be NZD$6-10k, which seems to be fucking outrageous.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1332 times
Been liked: 891 times

Post by MikeC »

robthemac wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:08 am

'19

A did a quick Reverb search and they look to be NZD$6-10k, which seems to be fucking outrageous.
I think that destroying perfectly good guitars for marketing (or whatever) reasons is 'effing outrageous. But it's the way of the world I suppose. Grumpy old coont over & out.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1124 times
Been liked: 1445 times

Post by robthemac »

MikeC wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:20 am
robthemac wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:08 am

I think that destroying perfectly good guitars for marketing (or whatever) reasons is 'effing outrageous. But it's the way of the world I suppose. Grumpy old coont over & out.
Gibson's statements at the time said there were safety issues with the electronics that weren't repairable. Dunno how true it was.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3531 times
Been liked: 724 times

Post by Cdog »

Someone should do that with Digitech Bad Monkeys. :lol:

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1332 times
Been liked: 891 times

Post by MikeC »

Cdog wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:09 am Someone should do that with Digitech Bad Monkeys. :lol:
And every "Capo" guitar that was ever shat.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 1082 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

So this is interesting:

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/someb ... ue.482965/

Basically, a guy bought an Epiphone inspired by Gibson LP, in China, looked under the hood and it didn't look like mahogany and maple. He sent the guitar to a lab where they confirmed the woods used weren't as stated and were other timbers (canarium and birch). He then sued Gibson China. Epiphones website then added a clause that "specs may change" etc.

I wonder how far back this goes.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Post by jeremyb »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:53 am So this is interesting:

Basically, a guy bought an Epiphone inspired by Gibson LP, in China, looked under the hood and it didn't look like mahogany and maple. He sent the guitar to a lab where they confirmed the woods used weren't as stated and were other timbers (canarium and birch). He then sued Gibson China. Epiphones website then added a clause that "specs may change" etc.

More interesting would be were Gibbons actually aware of this :rofl:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 1082 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:24 am
NippleWrestler wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:53 am So this is interesting:

More interesting would be were Gibbons actually aware of this :rofl:
Well, there's more detail in the guys post. He alleges Gibson China responded that the findings were "valid".