SG project

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

philipnz
PRS
PRS
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Get your paint set out and do a Clapton Fool SG version. A friend of mine in America does them, usually out of old Epiphones, he cuts the heads back.
Here is a thread on them
http://www.voxtalks.com/cgi-bin/UltraBo ... 0&Session=

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Phillip, that's beautiful!!
thanks for the link.

I have a set of Tarot cards....hmmmmm

However, with my VERY modest talents at painting..it'll have to be a solid colour.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Visionless_Guitarist wrote:im young enuff to be in a blink 182 tribute band, but bugga that!, rather play a few decent covers like GnR, metallica and blk sabbath(dio) and play originals, and dnt worry TMG, all my guitars are tuned to standard, and they are staying that way.
Good man 8)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Stevo
US of Fackin' A Fender

Re: SG project

Post by Stevo »

DrRog wrote:I bought an old dunger SG copy from Trademe,
Good onya DrRog! I was looking at that one closely myself for a project. Guess you got it the second time up! good buying!

But I have a Tele coming in from the US OF FACkIN A shortly!!!! Ah well, can't have everything all the time!!!
We can forgive the child who is afraid of the dark, we cannot forgive the adult who is afraid of the light!

Stevo
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Stevo »

philipnz wrote:Get your paint set out and do a Clapton Fool SG version. A friend of mine in America does them, usually out of old Epiphones, he cuts the heads back.
Man!!! That ROCKS!!! Oh yeah!!
We can forgive the child who is afraid of the dark, we cannot forgive the adult who is afraid of the light!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

US of FACKIN' A Tele? It'll be shite... much better off with J of FACKIN' APAN for tele's...

that SG is a bit scary, I've been awake for 15 hours and it burnt my retitna's....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Stevo
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Stevo »

bluesgeek wrote:US of FACKIN' A Tele? It'll be samicke... much better off with J of FACKIN' APAN for tele's...

that SG is a bit scary, I've been awake for 15 hours and it burnt my retitna's....
BG! I said "coming from US OF FACKIN A" DId I say "Made in"-
Besides, it's a PROJECT!
DO I buy any other type of GAT?

Now there's a "pierced" on ebay at the moment at about US$10!!! that could do with having that funny X shaped hole filled!!!!! I wonder!

Zakk Wylde
Bourbon soaked 6-string demon

Post by Zakk Wylde »

Visionless_Guitarist wrote:im young enuff to be in a blink 182 tribute band, but bugga that!, rather play a few decent covers like GnR, metallica and blk sabbath(dio) and play originals, and dnt worry TMG, all my guitars are tuned to standard, and they are staying that way.
Awwww?!! but you could play one finger powercords, maybe get a token dj etc. You'd be the 'Shizzle ma nizzle' for like 3months, after which your lowriding pants and backwards hat would be worn by every adolescent in sight! You may even start ripping off songs by the Who or even the Eagles as a last-ditch attempt to make your band 'mainstream' and accessible by all the 'older' children... eg 13yr olds.

Man, why dont you sell out? you're no fun with your standard tuning and actual skill.

Note: Do not drop your tuning to be cool. Instead, run yourself into a brick wall.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Oi wants to play in-decent covers zo where be em to be a found loike???
You can't do THAT on stage!

Rog

Post by Rog »

Some previous owner had stripped all the original finish off - except under the pickups, where the old colour was revealed to be a light cream. With that in mind, I have chosen antique white for the finish, but the neck is now black.

With the original finish gone, the wood is VERY grainy and is taking quite some time to get smooth. I have no idea what sort of packing case they used to make the body, but I will eventually get it to a smooth finish.

I've borrowed a book from the library about Making Your Own Electric Guitar. Its a good read and contains much interesting info. The author says that if your arm doesn't feel like its dropping off, you haven't sanded enough yet...
Last edited by Rog on Mon May 03, 2004 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rog

Post by Rog »

It is interesting to feel the different shapes of an SG body, as I'm more used to a Vox or Fender shape when I make (made) guitars.

Although the neck is only 4 coats into its finality, it is already much smoother than it was when it arrived and I think it'll be a nice fast neck when completed.

When I took the strings off, I found out the combination stop bar-bridge was broken, so I'll have to source one of those. Naturally, the RS wasn't any help in finding a cheap one.

Rog

Post by Rog »

Good to see even the real thing is very grainy in the wood...

http://www.timeelect.com/sgrefin.htm

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

That should be a helpful page for you - doing up an SG and all 8) The end product of that restoration looks awesome 8)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Stevo
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Stevo »

I agree! bloody great work.

You might want to check this site out as well DrRog.. http://www.everythingsg.com

good luck with it.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Was the body ply as the seller said????
You can't do THAT on stage!