What do we think of the SD hyperswitch?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Re: What do we think of the SD hyperswitch?

Post by jeremyb »

TmcB wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:39 am Something that’s in that halfway point of usefulness due to the application.

It reminds me of how the singer-guitarist in Thrice uses a stereo out from his guitar (signal per pickup) going to his Helix floor so that as the show goes on his Helix automatically “switches” to the correct pickup. He doesn’t have to care about tap dancing or even doing anything other than singing and playing, assuming his helix is being synced with midi to a show runner sort of program.

This kinda gives me that sense of being able to program guitar changes into your setlist.

More than anything though, I’m getting robot tuner vibes
Thats genius!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by dayl »

Why even have pickups. Just have some flat Piezo type thing and dial up a sound. Works for Amps and effects. Make every thing flat and nothing and then chose a tone to put on a board or something. It can be done, we have the technology ...... it just prob would never catch on due to the lack of magic gold 'tone' dust.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Slowy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:53 am Horrible idea. Adds complexity and vulnerability to your live rig. Ask Captain Black: The song is starting and suddenly your phone won't connect to your (in his case) pedal.
Well maintained mechanical switch and quickly replaceable cable for the win.
sty wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:39 am The challenge it faces I think is that most guitarists WANT to own multiple guitars for multiple tones :)
I'm generally a liberal progressive, EXCEPT with guitars where I'm a reactionary traditionalist. I like vintage tones and the stuff that make them and the systems/processes that connect/facilitate them. I was anti-MIDI in the 80s/90s and anti-digital in the 90s/00s/10s...now anti-BT/app/wireless.

No thanks, not for me. I'm not the demographic. The guitar means something different to me.

For some reason I equate a different guitar 'feel' to the pup tone. I want to have different guitars for tones, feels, swagger, inspiration, looks, etc. I want to play surf/alt rock on an offset, country/rockabilly on a Gretsch, ska/punk on a LP Jr, etc with amps, pedals and cables to suit :thumbup: