Samick are the best guitar on the market

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Re: Samick are the best guitar on the market

Post by Slowy »

nzsimon1 wrote: That's an odd example one you have lost $1000 the other even if you throw it away you have only lost $400

Having owned a couple of super cars I would rather have the Nissan gtr
OK, lets re-word it:
One you have lost 20%. The other, if you throw it away, you have lost 100%

And a GTR is a supercar! :P
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Post by Slowy »

Actually, it all makes sense:

1. We are at heart, mostly Brandsluts. Therefore, we have a barely rational adoration of certain brands.
2. The Universe demands balance; you know, all that Yin Yang stuff.
3. Because we adore some brands, we must despise others in order to keep the Cosmos in harmony.
Tough luck Samick, you're it.

Simple. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Sabbath Bloody Sabbath »

With anything branding is very important. Apple, Coke, Gibson, Ferrari, Mercedes, Marlboro, Red Bull the list goes on, lead you to believe you'll be cooler/happier/more sophisticated if you drink/smoke/drive/use their premium brands. Also another reason why a lot of them are successful/popular is due to the Prestige or snob factor if you will. And going back to my previous example the GT-R may very well be the better car but lacks the same 'wow' factor. So I think i'm on the same page as you slowfingers, it's just the world we live in.
"You give me a fucking kazoo and I'll write you a good song." - Billy Corgan

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

BG wrote:
Clanger wrote:I'm not impressed with the tuning issues with Gibson guitars. My acoustic Indonesian made Samick stays in tune and sounds quite good for the $160 I paid for it back 98 (still going strong). Maybe they have a point.

A guitar isn't worth a pinch of salt if the fuckin' thing doesn't stay in tune.
*sigh* http://nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21427
ash wrote:Angled headstocks aren't the problem, it's the angle of the strings over the nut that causes the trouble. Of course, LPs have lots of angle backwards to start with, but also have plenty of angle sideways on the middle strings, which makes things even worse.
Was that what you wanted us to read?

Reason I don't like Gibson is that they prefer to keep designs for historical mojo reasons rather than changing them even if they know they're flawed. I'm sure some players prefer it that way but that puts me off.
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

ToR CaT
Stagg
Stagg

Post by ToR CaT »

Personally Id take a gibson over a samick anyday mainly because its worth more and a couple of my favorite artists play them, i also like the look\feel of sg's not even sure if samick make sg's mind you only samick i ever played was a cheap standard type strat for like 5 minutes so i cant say too much about the sound of them though im sure they are capable of making a decent guitar.

Now bein the cheapass i am and the outrageous pricetag of a gibby i would probably buy the samick at least that way if i banged it or chipped it the value wouldnt drop so dramatically and no one wants to steal a samick haha other than a real lowlife lol so i could at least turn my back on the thing without worrying.

Damn hypothetical situations though... In reality i play esp's and jacksons mostly and happy with the quality\price so yea
I HAZ A FORUM

tacrot.redirectme.net

SixGunLover
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by SixGunLover »

+1 for Greg Bennetts.

I own an OM bodied electric-acoustic and it's the business for the money I paid - played and sounded better than some guitars I tested in the $2000-2500 range (three and a half or four times the price!).

Haven't had the privilege of trying any of their electric models. Has anyone here?

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 762 times
Been liked: 532 times

Post by Zaulkin »

I had a samick once. It was an older one my dad got from cashies.

It was never really in tune
Pots were scratchy as hell
Electronics were dodgy (possibly needed rewiring)
Needed a new input jack
One of the machineheads snapped off
It was very difficult to lower the action and it always had some sort of weird buzzes
Truss rod didnt work

But it had quite a comfortable neck and sounded quite lovely. I thought it was a decent guitar at the time.

Cortez
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Cortez »

ToR CaT wrote:Personally Id take a gibson over a samick anyday mainly because its worth more and a couple of my favorite artists play them, i also like the look\feel of sg's not even sure if samick make sg's mind you only samick i ever played was a cheap standard type strat for like 5 minutes so i cant say too much about the sound of them though im sure they are capable of making a decent guitar.

Now bein the cheapass i am and the outrageous pricetag of a gibby i would probably buy the samick at least that way if i banged it or chipped it the value wouldnt drop so dramatically and no one wants to steal a samick haha other than a real lowlife lol so i could at least turn my back on the thing without worrying.

Damn hypothetical situations though... In reality i play esp's and jacksons mostly and happy with the quality\price so yea

Actually, Samick did make an SG in the late 80s/early 90s. It was really good, 2pc body, set neck, tidy inlays and it sounds amazing. We had one at school which had been abused for years. Everything other Samick I've played (and briefly owned an Indonesian strat copy - LS-10 I think) was a POS.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

If you are brantastically inclined to have a Gibby on a Samick budget, you can always get a Gibby logo from ebay and transform your geetar, Such as
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-LES-PAUL ... _500wt_865
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

RuBear wrote:
BG wrote:
Clanger wrote:I'm not impressed with the tuning issues with Gibson guitars. My acoustic Indonesian made Samick stays in tune and sounds quite good for the $160 I paid for it back 98 (still going strong). Maybe they have a point.

A guitar isn't worth a pinch of salt if the fuckin' thing doesn't stay in tune.
*sigh* http://nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21427
ash wrote:Angled headstocks aren't the problem, it's the angle of the strings over the nut that causes the trouble. Of course, LPs have lots of angle backwards to start with, but also have plenty of angle sideways on the middle strings, which makes things even worse.
Was that what you wanted us to read?

Reason I don't like Gibson is that they prefer to keep designs for historical mojo reasons rather than changing them even if they know they're flawed. I'm sure some players prefer it that way but that puts me off.
Whut?! Have you not seen the FailbirdX?

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

benderissimo wrote: Whut?! Have you not seen the FailbirdX?
took the words right out of my mouth
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I hope it wasn't while you were kissing him...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

danisdan
Stagg
Stagg

Post by danisdan »

If you want to check out a good samick then come check out the greg bennet samick RL4 or RL2...seriusly decent hollow-body for the price!!!!

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Their wolfgang clone is ugly-as

"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

I've played Samicks that didn't suck.

I tend to think the use of the word on this forum is symbolic of the general lack of knowledge regarding gear that this place exhibited in the early days. We've come a long way since then.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?