Martin Acoustics

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Re: Martin Acoustics

Post by null_pointer »

Conway wrote:
null_pointer wrote:To me 'least interesting' is a guitar that does one thing. Teles and Strats clearly cover a lot more ground than that, but I don't see anyone out playing blues on their ESP with EMGs. I DO see metal/shred/sludge being played on Strats and teles tho (John 5, Yngwie etc).

So I vote Ibanez RG-anything.
Yes, I can see some logic in that argument.
Its ok your precious PRS's won't get sucked into the same vortex. They suffer perhaps from the other end of the scale - too much flexibility. The answer to your standard HH PRS's 'what do they play best' is 'yes'. Great for range, poor for image branding - you can wear your stetson with your PRS, ripped jeans, leather jackets, or even Jesus Christ Poses (thanks Creed). In fact now John Mayer has a signature model I think Paul will have to start hanging around Slayer just to broaden the market...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Post by Bg »

I used to play blues live with my emg equipped steinberger, I win a prize :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Bg wrote:I used to play blues live with my emg equipped steinberger, I win a prize :)
And you're renowned for your impeccable taste too!

Right??

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Post by Slowy »

Conway wrote:
null_pointer wrote:To me 'least interesting' is a guitar that does one thing. Teles and Strats clearly cover a lot more ground than that, but I don't see anyone out playing blues on their ESP with EMGs. I DO see metal/shred/sludge being played on Strats and teles tho (John 5, Yngwie etc).

ESP is a guitar? I thought it was X-Files stuff.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Post by Bg »

null_pointer wrote:
Bg wrote:I used to play blues live with my emg equipped steinberger, I win a prize :)
And you're renowned for your impeccable taste too!

Right??
Of course.... that was proven by the JS1200 I used at times too :D Too many blues guitarists with strats and teles....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

null_pointer wrote:
mr_sooty wrote: And yet I'm ecstatically happy with my sub 1K Masterbuilt Alvarez Parlor.
Sometimes the trick is to stop there. Unfortunately I've got friends with Martins, Gibbys etc so I've seen what the other side of the mountain looks like. There's no way the lower echelons compare (depending on what the sound in your head is, of course!). For what I'd like an acoustic electric for, $4k north seems to be the first rung of that sonic ladder...
I've played my fair share - I've worked in music retail on and off since 1993 so I have definitely seen both sides of that mountain. There are certainly some amazing guitars in the price range you're talking about, but there are others that are just expensive, rather than amazing. One guitar that stands out in my mind was a second hand Martin OM28V, $4700 used! But yeah that was a superb guitar. But there are definitely some awesome guitars out there in lower priced land. My particular Alvarez just has the kind of tone and price I'm looking for that I've struggled to find in any price range. Again, it's a personal taste thing. That guitar just sounds right to me. Having said that I'd trade it for a Gibson Keb Mo in a heart beat! (Another one that I loved).

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Another thing I find about higher end Martins is that they tend to be much better when they've got a few years on them. They can sometimes be a bit uninspiring brand new.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

mr_sooty wrote:Another thing I find about higher end Martins is that they tend to be much better when they've got a few years on them. They can sometimes be a bit uninspiring brand new.
That used to be an absolute 30 years ago. New Martins were stiff, tight and unresponsive. You had to stand them in front of a loud stereo speaker for 40 hours just to loosen them up. In the last decade or so, that hasn't been as true. I wonder what changed? There's still no doubt in my mind though that a "real" Martin will be better in 15 years than it is new.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 647 times
Been liked: 815 times

Post by hamo »

Slowy wrote:
Conway wrote:

ESP is a guitar? I thought it was X-Files stuff.
Nah, that's ESPN.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by SimpleSi »

Ever tried Maton acoustics?

I own a ECW80C heritage model.

Similar pricing to Martin but a bit cheaper.

I think I paid around 2.2k and the equivalent Martin was 3.1k
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 376 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by vintage52 »

SimpleSi wrote:Ever tried Maton acoustics?

Did own the entry level 225 at one stage.

Struggled with it. Would assume the higher builds are much better?
Wellington

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

I've got a maton SRS808. Slowly getting more love after putting on new strings last night. I'm already seeing quite a bit of wear on mine after just 4 months buying it new. Strings do play a huge difference!

I am gassing for a higher end acoustic now. My Larrivee d03 still gets most of my attention, but quite keen for a d28 or a dove.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

SimpleSi wrote:Ever tried Maton acoustics?

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/maton-me ... -case.html

Rockshop Albany had a cutaway version of this. It sold really quickly. Unsurprising; it was a very, very, very good guitar.