Flying V

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Are Flying V's still cool?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:50 am

Yes and James Hetfield is my god!
6%
It's cool
59%
I'd keep it if someone gave it to me
29%
No and Metallica bites my crank!
6%

Total votes: 17

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by gregtarr »

I don't like that most guitar manufacturers just copy existing designs. The only Ibanez's I don't hate are the one which Tsuken has (which is ok I think) and the one Tom Morello uses, not the Talman one, the semi hollow body one. Does anyone know what the hollow body one is called? (I realise it has all sorts of onboard effects, and Ibanez made it especially for him, but it's probably based on an existing Ibanez guitar, right?)

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

Well Ibanez really do have a shithouse website (thats what happens when you use craphouse microsoft technologies to run a site).

But anyway, I worked out generally that he has a custom 'artstar' series guitar (amongst others). Searching the Ibanez US site for 'Morello' or 'Tom Morello' yields no results. Searching for 'Artstar' has heaps of results - most of which resolve to a server error in the page scripting.

This is the artstar page but it isn't linked to from the guitars section - I don't think they actually want the artstar series being viewed on their site (and so therefore the scripting errors are probably a symptom of some half-assed attempt to remove the pages from the site). This page is not complete. I suspect the artcore series has probably superceeded this line of guitars.

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/series.asp?s=artstar&l=e

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Well I used to like them (Ibanez) for the cheap but playable copies they made of other brands - you could buy one and see whether you really wanted to go the whole hog or if it was just a passing fantasy. However they don't seem to copy any more and are not quite so economical.
You can't do THAT on stage!

_Zorran_

Post by _Zorran_ »

whats the white marshall head on the top right?looks really interesting.

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

White marshall head on the top right of which photo?

I know that i saw in a mag a while back about a '62 reissue that marshall did where they got the upholsterers from Jaguar to do the finish. I found it after searching for 'Jaguar' on the marshall site.

But its not a head - its a combo amp

http://www.marshallamps.com/images/prod ... 62jag.html

gregtarr

Post by gregtarr »

"But its not a head - its a combo amp" Well done offender.
"I told you, pedals sound twice as good when they're stacked on top of other pedals" - Mike Einziger

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

gregtarr wrote:"But its not a head - its a combo amp" Well done offender.
Yep skippy badges all-round on this one I think? :)

gregtarr

Post by gregtarr »

Just don't blow the tubes and try to put 6L6's in.
"I told you, pedals sound twice as good when they're stacked on top of other pedals" - Mike Einziger

gregtarr

Post by gregtarr »

OOKKK!! I just clicked on the link, and it says "Over 150 gold-plated parts" and the picture is the standard Marshall picture of the amp with no case on, and the transformers are gold plated. Hmmm. What is with guitar players and gold plating? Gold plating is only good in astronaughts space helmets.

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

Well its supposed to be a very high class amp - with the Jaguar guys doing the leather and stuff. The funy thing is most of the gold plated stuff is hidden inside the amp!

Its a great looking amp though.

gregtarr

Post by gregtarr »

Any (I can't find the pound sign) 5000 amp should be very high class. I just hope you're not paying (Again, where is the pound sign) 4000 for Jim's signature, and gold plated transformers (and fancy gas guzzling leather)

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Red Fred »

Man that is one nice looking amp, the gold plating is for the bling guys. It would pull girls I tell ya! :D
But actually doesn't gold transfer sound better than normal metal?

Oh yeah and I forgot this guy....

Okay so he looks like a bum on a good day, but he's still the man!! :lol:

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

gold transfers signals the best, explains y most decent leads have gold plated plugs, that amp would sound damn incredible im gessing, if not, well, wotta stupid idea for the price lol.
success is fleeting, but artistry lasts forever.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

yeah.... gold is a better conductor of electicity than copper, so it makes sense to use the gold inside on the important bits :wink:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

VillageIdiot
Stagg
Stagg

Post by VillageIdiot »

Red Fred wrote:Man that is one nice looking amp, the gold plating is for the bling guys. It would pull girls I tell ya! :D
But actually doesn't gold transfer sound better than normal metal?

Oh yeah and I forgot this guy....

Okay so he looks like a bum on a good day, but he's still the man!! :lol:

Yeah baby!

That's Jim Martin, is it not?
Click me!!! ::Guitar::Amp::Rig