AU$200,000 LP

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

goldtop0
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 116 times

AU$200,000 LP

Post by goldtop0 »

Yes guys it's available,it's tantilising,it's magnificent and it's expensive.
It is a 1960 Les Paul Standard and it looks in good nick. Now I say it's an original but haven't seen the serial # to verify so let's just say it's so for the stories sake.
Now if I were to mortgage the house it would cost me NZ$230,000 so I ain't gonna buy it.
Available from Jacksons Rare Guitars in Aussie I think it might be the second vintage one to hit their shores,so hey if you think it's a good investment go for it man. The price they're asking is about the top of the range translated into US$ where mostly all of these are sold(57s 58s 59s and 60s) with 59s getting the highest $$.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Champers
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Champers »

well i was meant to be saving for a house but that would certainly make me more popular, tho if i was gunna spend that sort of cash id definatly want a '59.

does anyone know if there are any guitars of that vintage in nz?

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

fuck
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666

Post by Richy11 »

Champers wrote:well i was meant to be saving for a house but that would certainly make me more popular, tho if i was gunna spend that sort of cash id definatly want a '59.

I meet an old guy who went to the states and bought himself a white LP Custom, in about 1970. It was a 1958 model. He kicks himself every time he thinks how much he sold it for.

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Red Fred »

I thought the first LP Customs came out in the late 60s.... :?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Yeah, the LP shaped customs began in '68. before that they were SG shaped, but I didn't think they went back to '58...

With prices like that, I wonder how many fakes there are floating around. There are probably counterfieting rings in Sibera meticulously replicating them one at a time...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Les Paul Customs were being made from 1954 to 1960.

Wanna buy one?
http://www.gbase.com/gearlist/results.a ... SKeys2.y=9

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Oh Goody I'd have two (one for Sunday) - except I don't really trust the Aussies - they have some pretty good builders/repairers over there and, when you remember who founded their country (plus modern scams on the Gold Coast etc), shall we say honesty might not be the fundamental virtue it is over in good 'ol NZ.

The other thing folks is to indulge your imagination - 'what ya gonna do with it?" - it would have to be insured and for that sort of value the insurer is going to insist it's kep in a bank vault or similar, plus any playing would likely downgrade it so that would be strictly limited as well (probably you'd have to put on gloves and a clean suit just to touch it) and should you hear the happy sound of it sliding off the stand or tipping over - that's probably $1000 per decibel wiped off it's value.

Much better to get a good Epiphone knockoff for, as we've seen, you get a better class of hardboard under the opaque finish!! LOL.
You can't do THAT on stage!

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Flame me, but there is no justification for that sort of price for a guitar in terms of a musical instrument. We may as well be talking postage stamps
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3924 times

Post by Bg »

we are talking postage stamps... its not as if you could take it out and gig with it, or even play it at home just in case it fell over, and *snap* there goes the neck....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Champers wrote:well i was meant to be saving for a house but that would certainly make me more popular, tho if i was gunna spend that sort of cash id definatly want a '59.

Cannot say for certain, but I have a 1960 Gibson ES 335 with PAF humbuckers, dot neck etc that I bought used in a Music store down in Christchurch about 1972 or 3 with it's original brown case (yep with pink fluffy lining like the modern ones but not quite so fluffy). Now back then (1970's) the new 335's were about as expensive as the new Les Pauls so it's a fair bet if they imported mine into the country, they also probably imported LP's back in 1960 or thereabouts.

Would not hold your breath at the chances of finding one though!
You can't do THAT on stage!

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

To my knowledge having spoken with loads of industry pundits there were no 57-60 Les Paul Standards imported to NZ and only maybe one or two LP Customs from the same era(but this even is not confirmed as there is no evidence of these being played and used out there).
There is an old Maori muso here in Auckland who bought a 57 Custom back from the States in the 60s,first saw it and spoke to him about it in 1972,apparently its neck is bolted on now it's been dropped that many times. And there is a photo of an Underdogs member Lou Rawnsley in the book Hostage To The Beat(The Auckland Scene 1955-1970) by Roger Watkins see page 174,it looks like he's playing a tiger stripe Les Paul Standard which at that time 66-68 could only have been from 58-60 USA production,as there were no copies in those days.I have checked around but nobody knows anything of this gat...........oh darn.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3924 times

Post by Bg »

Hi mate, hows the vintage tonequest coming along?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

Gidday BG.........just as gooey as ever.I've had my amps overhauled as best as possible so they're sounding pretty okay right now. Yeah Xena is a treasure so I pull her on each night for a wail,helps me relax :)

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

goldtop0 wrote:Gidday BG.........just as gooey as ever.I've had my amps overhauled as best as possible so they're sounding pretty okay right now. Yeah Xena is a treasure so I pull her on each night for a wail,helps me relax :)

Stress you say ? WTF ? Mate you have a stack of vintage amps and some of the best gear out there ? Looking in your music room would make me relax !!! :wink: