what do u follow through with after scales on ur warm up?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

what do u follow through with after scales on ur warm up?

Post by MaloS »

or in other words, what is your favorite piece to get your fingers going after you warm up by running some scales?

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I'd love to have something deep and meaningful to say here, but the truth is - I never warm up or run scales.... at a gig I'll just check tuning, then pick up & play ..... hangs head in shame....
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

nope I don't run scales either :( but I have a couple of nice fast Gary Moore runs I play through instead.

On Bass I like to play Floyd - Money, as this is guarenteed to annoy every other person in the room - as I play it every chance I get ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog

Post by Rog »

Do you play the money riff both ways?
One straight & the other from their live album?

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

Generally my warmup routine is

1. Some basic chromatic stuff with stretches
2. Then moving up and down the strings missing a string
3. Then doing a major scale but missing strings out
4. Then turning the 'nome on and doing scales, some modes, some arpeggios

and then (the part answering your question)

1. The intro to 'Californication' by RHCP
2. The intro/main riff for 'December' by Collective Soul
3. The intro riff for 'Whats my age again' by Blink 182
4. The intro riff to 'Can't Stop' by RHCP

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

DrRog wrote:Do you play the money riff both ways?
One straight & the other from their live album?
Yes and no... I do the album version and the Roger Waters - in the flesh version *cough* both at the same time :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog

Post by Rog »

And do you also practice doing it in all keys (not just B)?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

no as that wouldn't be nearly as annoying to the rest of the band. If it helps, I don't use the open string thing - prefer to reach up and warm up the pinky.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Ah now this has gotta be Johan Sebastian's little 'Chaconne in D minor and fuge' - double speed just for jollies - followed by Jennifer Batten's little tapping version of the epic 'flight of the bumblebee' and finishing off with the lead break from John Petrucci (Dream Theater) 'Under a Harvest moon'. But no doubt you all do something similar.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666

Post by Richy11 »

Warm up???????

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Ah! - but note I only said I played the Bach fast which is not quite as bad as it seems - once you've leant it as a classical piece it becomes the sort of thing you can rattle off faster and faster. The rest are what is called a 'struggle' even at half speed but they do get the bits moving.

What I must get down pat someday for warmups is Van Halen's 'erruption' - be great fun to really zip through it mindlessly fast at the end of a gig then say 'well sorry folks, but we only had a minute - any other encore pieces you like?'.

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

lol B45-12...have your tried zipping through bach at the end of a gig?

this is mine:

1. chromatic scale (with a variation that come to my head at the moment, starting at wherever my left hand happened to be)

2. natural scale, using open strings, then starting at 5th fret.

3. occasionaly go into another scale, if i remember to (usually E major or A major)

4. first 24 bars of Asturias (isaac albeniz). i got a classical guitar so why not...

all other exercies go for closure....

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Yep MaloS - I used his Bouree in D minor one night at a folk club when totally arsed thanks to Mr Speights infamous fermented liquors and apparently completed it in 58 seconds (including a second run through). I've never been able to do it that quickly again sober!

There was a sort of silence at the end for about a minute and then someone said 'what was that??? 'Bach'sum boo - I mean Buch's burr - oh hell! Bach goes bannanas' was all that came out before I fell off the stool, knocked over the mike stand, just about totalled my guitar and had to be 'helped' off. Was not invited back.

Asturias is neat - try it on a 12 string sometime.

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

Asturias on 12 string...somewhat of an ouch...sounds great prolly :)

I tried it on an ibanez guitar at guitar center, took something for about 1700 US bucks, plugged it into a mesa boogie amp head, which was plugged into a whole stack that I did not even identify, optimized the volume a little so I do not die from feedback...and sounded horrible. alot better on acoustic.

Bach's bouree in 58 seconds? damn you. I can only do it in 1:30 or so full. Dare you to do Grieg's in the Hall of The Mountain King in about 14-15 though :), and all in dampened notes (side of palm at the bridge)

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Nah use an electric 12 -much easier (esp since it starts up near the 7th fret with the pedal on the b string) - although come to think of it. . . .

And as for the Bach it was twice through in that time so god know how etc. Never been able to repeat it.

Will look at Grieg sometime but at the moment having fun doing 'Recuerdos de los Alahmabra' at top speed and still preserving the hammered on notes in 2 places. Miss or not sound them - and the speed does not count!