Name that chord

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Name that chord

Post by Rog »

I've found this useful for naming that funny chord I'm playing but can't name correctly.

http://jguitar.com/chordname?string5=3& ... &string0=3

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

kewl...but how do u pick the correct one?

music theory alot more fun :)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

I pick the right one by ear :p
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

take a 20 sided dice and roll...hope you get the right one :wink:

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Well 'Fred' immediately springs to mind, but Gmin 6 flat 7 is another poss for the less adventurous.

Incidentally if you slide the chord up to the 5 th fret and move from the 2nd to the 3rd string at fret seven, you will be playing the opening chord for Venus from Shocking Blue (or was it Blue Mink??- bugger this Alzheimers!)

'She's got it! Oooh baby she's got it, I'm your Venus, I'm your fire I'm your desire' etc. in case the title does not ring a bell.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

thought that was Bananarama - you're just showing your age again ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog

Post by Rog »

Bananarama was girls!
Girls can't play music!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Arrrgh me age is exposed once more- gadzooks is me dirty end in sight too?? as for girls, DrRog, who cares? they're for looking at NOT listening to! Sexist I know, but Atomic Kitten, Beyonce and quite a few others are best enjoyed with the sound turned down or off.

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

C minor 7 / G would be exactly what I would call it and I see its in the list...

Rog

Post by Rog »

I just call that one Cm7 (for funky town).

But you can put in anything you like and find the chords, is what I'm saying...

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Umm Rog I always thought it was in terms of the tonal centres/scales you were moving through - so you write a song in G or Dmin (or how about Fflat minor - LOL) then, unless you modulate to another key, that's where your harmony should be based under.

So assuming the melody is on top, you stick the notes underneath and get your chord (usually 3 note triad) within the same scale the song is written in for obvious reasons in some stuff (folk/blues/pop); whereas you may decide to put a 4 note chord under a melody note (Jazz, funk, some country) or even a 2 note one (Metal) or one with no third (major or minor) thrash metal/shred.

Of course this is a very simple theoretical view and there are numerous exceptions - a more pragmatic view seems to be, apart from stacked notes a semitone apart, anything goes harmony wise nowadays. In the ME stuff for example I'm not sure they don't sometime use a semitone apart harmony.

I suspect in the final analysis, what works/inspires goes in and the rest is done acording to the 'rules' when the mind cannot be arsed/is not inspired. Much like those gig evenings when you play a mechanical bass riff based on the scale or chord progression becuse you're tired/nothing excites/suggets. It's OK, it fits and the audience is happy. So you've done your job to a 'professional' (=minimaly competent) level.

Rog

Post by Rog »

So true, mate - been there, lost the T-shirt!

I must admit I prefer to stay with nomenclature I'm most comfortable with, regardless of the reality.

For instance - I am most happy with:
F#, Ab, C# rather than
Gb, G#, Db

so, that's what I call them, even though the music masters might throw their hands up in despair. Its all about what works for me!

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

DrRog wrote:So true, mate - been there, lost the T-shirt!

I must admit I prefer to stay with nomenclature I'm most comfortable with, regardless of the reality.

For instance - I am most happy with:
F#, Ab, C# rather than
Gb, G#, Db

so, that's what I call them, even though the music masters might throw their hands up in despair. Its all about what works for me!
In that case the music masters can go Fuck themselves ;) I call them that too and really if that's what works, that's hat works!!
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

well I used to use F#, G#, C# but thats the way I was taught, and it depends how the composer writes the key down on the stave.

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

enharmonic notes are important in order to be in the correct key. You can even have A## or Cbb if necessary (minor keys with lots of accidentals).

The chord starting this thread would have to be Cm7/G though as it has a G in the bass (unless it can be referred to as some sort of Cm7 inversion with the 5th 1st 3rd pattern starting the chord?)