Time to buy a PRS singlecut...

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

i think mark tremonti had something to do with it.. as i recall when they first came out he was playing LPs but then PRS offered him his own signature model..

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

angry_young_poet wrote:PRS only really did a singlecut to attract gibson buyers so right there that's a cause for concern on gibson's part.

On the other hand, gibson has a doublecut LP, so maybe PRS should sue them for infringing on their doublecut PRS??
Oh, I think they'd have a hard time doing that, since they stole that from Gibson too, in a round-about kind of way!! ;)

Gibson introduced the double cutaway LP in the late '50s with the original LP Junior and Special. It was designed to be much easier to make than a normal LP and catch some of the coolness of a Strat's horned look.

Hamer took that shape and made it their own by adding a flame maple carved top in the mid '70s. Not long after that, Mr. Smith's early guitars (for Santana et al) were the same shape but with a deeper carve. Then he flattened the arse and stretched the top horn a bit to get the classic PRS shape for production models.

As they say... "Ain't nothin' new under the Sun..."
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Yoda
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Yoda »

I am actually quite surprised that any judge would even let such a case get far enough to require a ruling, let alone end up agreeing with the wrong side. This case should have been thrown out on the first day. There is no basis whatsoever for a law suit. All modern electric guitars are copies of and/or variations of designs or models originated by other previous guitar makers.

Gibson, like Microsoft, needs to grow up and take responsibility for their own childish actions. If they hadn't priced themselves so far out of touch with reality, upstarts like PRS would never have been able to produce a superior quality guitar for the same money or less.

Seriously, what do they expect? That all companies who produce single cutaway set-necks with buckers and carved tops should cease and desist? This is utter nonsense and proof positive that Gibson should be boycotted around the world until they recant. (not that that would ever happen, unfortunately)

My distaste for Gibson has been growing with each passing minute as it was. After reading this, distaste is in danger of evolving into hatred.

When you have to choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before.

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

eh...for the money gibson sells their stuff - get yourself a custom, you will love it alot more.

You would not be able to say you are playing a gibson...but you would be able to play to ur max, and you would be able to say that your guitar was made specifically for you.

meh not likes gibson...gave it a touch in the store...heavy, not exactly pleasant to play, strats were more comfortable..., sound versatility lacked. There was couple parkers hanging next to the gibson stand - now that was comfortable, light, and sound was actually pretty and melodic. the guitar sung on its own.

Yoda
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Yoda »

I just emailed Gibson with a polite but insistent explanation of the error of their ways and to inform them that I have begun a personal boycott of all things Gibson and that I will make every effort to convince my friends to do the same. I have no expectations that they will care or that it will affect any change but I will have the satisfaction of knowing I did the right thing.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Yoda - you're a worry, mate!! :-)
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Let us know if you get a response....

or a lawsuit!! ;)
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Yoda
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Yoda »

They replied to me quite promtly. I thanked them for their quick response. They explained their action by insisting there was a trademark infringement even though none exists. They do not hold a patent on single cutaways but I guess that didn't stop them. They only hold a patent on the exact dimensions of the guitars they make. I know something about American copyright law as my mother is an ammatuer inventor and frequently patents her ideas in both Canada and USA. The PRS shape is not an exact copy of the Les Paul shape as any guitarist can plainly see but when you've got the clout and pockets deep enough you can do almost any immoral thing you want in the USA these days. Witness Bush and Iraq. I responded to their reply by politley informing them that in the spirit of Free Enterprise I choose to let the way I spend my dollars speak for me and that I choose to support PRS especially now that they have coerced the courts to yet again pave the way for the little guy to get eaten by the giants just because the same little guy provides superior quality for the same price or less. I expect I will not get another reply. I realize I may have done nothing usefull at all in the grand scheme but at least I'll know I spoke up for what's right.

Rog

Post by Rog »

> but at least I'll know I spoke up for what's right.

That's the best any of us can really do, mate.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Yoda wrote:They replied to me quite promtly. I thanked them for their quick response. They explained their action by insisting there was a trademark infringement even though none exists. They do not hold a patent on single cutaways but I guess that didn't stop them. They only hold a patent on the exact dimensions of the guitars they make. I know something about American copyright law as my mother is an ammatuer inventor and frequently patents her ideas in both Canada and USA. The PRS shape is not an exact copy of the Les Paul shape as any guitarist can plainly see but when you've got the clout and pockets deep enough you can do almost any immoral thing you want in the USA these days. Witness Bush and Iraq. I responded to their reply by politley informing them that in the spirit of Free Enterprise I choose to let the way I spend my dollars speak for me and that I choose to support PRS especially now that they have coerced the courts to yet again pave the way for the little guy to get eaten by the giants just because the same little guy provides superior quality for the same price or less. I expect I will not get another reply. I realize I may have done nothing usefull at all in the grand scheme but at least I'll know I spoke up for what's right.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But you never had any intentions of buying a gibson anyway

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Post by Bg »

what is right here? PRS infringing on Gibsons legal trademarks - and the trademarks being upheld in court? PRS attempting to make a guitar that is clearly supposed to look and feel like a Les Paul - and is admitted as such in the deposition?

Gibson are a company. Business dictates that they should protect their market share. I've tried a Singlecut and found it to be sterile, bland and lacking in character. For the same price you can buy the 'real deal', so why anyone would buy the Singlecut is beyond me.

Their are so much better reasons to boycott Gibson (poor customer service, inflated costs internationally etc) than the company trying to maintain their market share within the US.

I would be much more concerned if it stopped Tokai from manufacturing their cheaper range of LP knock offs (which Fender did in the 80's to stop Tokai making better Strats than the pieces of trash Fender were turning out) than them putting a stop on the Singlecut POS....
Last edited by Bg on Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Spot the difference...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog

Post by Rog »

Well they certainlly don't look sufficiently close enough for me.... as you say - given the choice - I'd go for the gibby anyway.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

surprisingly the most fuss is being made about vol/tone control layout and toggle switch position.

Yoda
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Yoda »

Editted- never mind