Show Me Your Cheap Guitars!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Re: Show Me Your Cheap Guitars!

Post by Zaulkin »

Thanks Jen.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

I've got an old no-name classical gat for a beater... but it's so bad that I find myself never touching it, despite loving how it resonates so much.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 602 times

Post by Starfire »

Last edited by Starfire on Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I like it so much that, along with refurbishing this one, I'm going to use the nice Warmoth alder Strat body I just bought to build another one, but obviously with better components, wood, and a bit more custom.
... and hopefully a nicer scratchplate?
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Rog wrote:
I like it so much that, along with refurbishing this one, I'm going to use the nice Warmoth alder Strat body I just bought to build another one, but obviously with better components, wood, and a bit more custom.
... and hopefully a nicer scratchplate?
yeah, so close yet so far. they should have done them like this:

jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1050 times

Post by kdawg2a »

A couple of years ago I was living in London and while I was there I moved flats a few times. One time while looking in a second hand furniture place for some stuff I came across an old Marshall Plexi head! It was a 100 watt P.A head, not a 50 watt gat head (I wish!), but I still scored it for 20 quid! It had the old style English plug on it so I took it into Denmark St to see what could be done about it and ended up trading it for this 1970 Fender Musicmaster. So this gat cost me 20 quid or in NZ dollars about $52! I realise the Marshall was probably worth more but it would have cost soooo much money to ship back over cause the thing weighed a ton not to mention the damage it would have received in transit. Fenders are great, just unbolt the neck and chuck em in your suitcase! That's my cheap gat!
Attachments
018_opt(2).jpg
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Good score, mate. You ended up with the better deal. :lol:
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Anvil Amps Alan »

Zaulkin wrote:I want a beater, sold my last one and now wish I didn't.

It was an Ibanez GRG20JB or something like that - anyway, with an upgraded set of tuners it was a very nice guitar. :(

At the moment I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a beater, so when the right one comes along I will nab it up. I am building a Tele at the moment, however I think it might turn out too nice to use as a cheap guitar - especially if it has my name on it. :) But anyway, I think all beaters should be ideally HH or HSS.
The Poostik is some kind of Gibson Ripoff, would you like to try?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a
delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 602 times

Post by Starfire »

Last edited by Starfire on Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Anvil Amps Alan wrote:
Zaulkin wrote:I want a beater, sold my last one and now wish I didn't.

It was an Ibanez GRG20JB or something like that - anyway, with an upgraded set of tuners it was a very nice guitar. :(

At the moment I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a beater, so when the right one comes along I will nab it up. I am building a Tele at the moment, however I think it might turn out too nice to use as a cheap guitar - especially if it has my name on it. :) But anyway, I think all beaters should be ideally HH or HSS.
The Poostik is some kind of Gibson Ripoff, would you like to try?
Hahaha. I dunno about that, but cheers anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7782 times
Been liked: 4208 times

Post by jeremyb »

LTD M-50, cost me like $499 at the Rockshop, plays nice enough for a beginner like me :)
Attachments
ltd_m50.jpg
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1021 times
Been liked: 2505 times

Post by Slowy »

20230901_071907.jpg
20230901_071907.jpg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 2064 times
Talking guitars with a work colleague, she said she'd never played P90s so I gave her my Arps to try. A couple of days later, she handed me this. That was 3 weeks ago and I'm starting to worry about the Arps. She describes it as inspirational and shows no sign of returning it.

She also said her Takamine dreadnaught was cumbersome so I brought in the Lowden for her to try.
She immediately launched into a blistering rendition of Lyndsey Buckingham's 'Big Love'. It was amazing. I felt my heart rate go up and I'm sure I saw smoke coming off the strings! All this from a tiny, unassuming girl who really reminds me of Meg from Family Guy.

Anyway, this Artcore: Being a snob I have automatically dismissed them on shop walls but this one cost $895 new and it really is very good. It's lovely to play, rock solid and at the price I can't fault it. The mini humbuckers are fairly hot but volume keeps them under control if you want less dirt. If you need a well made, reliable, gigging ES125 at a no stress price, the only improvement IMHO would be P90s and I imagine Ibanez have that covered.

OK, there's no tumescence factor but I think this is a great working instrument; mightily impressed.

Now how do I convince a girl half my size and half my age to give my Arps back? :problem:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7782 times
Been liked: 4208 times

Post by jeremyb »

Necro-dredge!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1021 times
Been liked: 2505 times

Post by Slowy »

Hah! it went through. I posted here first and got an access denied message so I tried again in the thread I was actually looking for in the first place.

Cool necro dredge though as you say.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3924 times

Post by Bg »

Might have to moderate as I don’t think that price tag is cheap….
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.