Rosewood vs Maple Fretboards

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1026 times
Been liked: 2513 times

Rosewood vs Maple Fretboards

Post by Slowy »

This subject has probably been done to death but I'm curious about your opinions.

I grew up playing Martins (ooooh, the poverty!!!!) and when I got an electric, I naturally preferred Rosewood fretboards. Because of the Martin, my fingers have their own biceps, so my playing style involves a bit of bending.
Some years ago, I was adopted by a Maple neck Strat. It took a long time, but eventually we became close friends. The only thing that still bugs me about it is the stickiness of the fretboard. When I do a slow bend, my finger literally creaks across the fingerboard; it just doesn't feel smooth to play. I never noticed this with Rosewood....

I see plenty of bendy players like Maple... so, do you find it smooth or is that grippy thing not a problem for you?

My Strat is one of the numbered 1954 clones made for the 40th anniversary. It has a 7' radius neck and vintage frets. I know that flatter necks are easier to bend on, but the issue that bugs me still seems to be grip.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Rosewood vs Maple Fretboards

Post by Vorbis »

If you sprayed rosewood with gloss poly then it would feel sticky and icky too.
Satin finish maple necks is where it's at. Not much difference in feel with satin finish, tho rosewood feels slightly more open grain compared to maple.
I like rosewood but am drawn to the look of maple, my tele creation is going to sport a maple neck.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

you can sand the lacquer off the maple board for a smooth feel, but then of course you will get the staining of the wood.....

I prefer maple because of the extra bite you get (more treble than rosewood) and I love the look of maple
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Vorbis wrote:If you sprayed rosewood with gloss poly then it would feel sticky and icky too.
Satin finish maple necks is where it's at. Not much difference in feel with satin finish, tho rosewood feels slightly more open grain compared to maple.
I like rosewood but am drawn to the look of maple, my tele creation is going to sport a maple neck.

You are quite correct about the poly. As my fretboard wears, it does become smoother. In fact, now that my hairy paws have worn half the finish off the neck, the guitar seems to improve daily. (Thank you Fender for remembering to use real nitrocellulose on my guitar!) I'm still intrigued that this doesn't seem to bother a lot of folks. Thought maybe y'all knew something i didn't...

Good luck with the Tele creation. I'll be doing one this Winter too. Can't wait.... Actually, can't decide exactly what Iwant. Maybe 3 or 4 Teles?
Sewercaster..... That's brilliant! Can I use it please?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Ha, SewerCaster indeed. Players that dont sweat much (if at all) when playing probably dont notice the stickiness anywhere near as much as those that sweat bullets.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

slowfingers wrote: Good luck with the Tele creation. I'll be doing one this Winter too. Can't wait.... Actually, can't decide exactly what Iwant. Maybe 3 or 4 Teles?
Sewercaster..... That's brilliant! Can I use it please?
Mine's up in the air too. I've never owned or even played a tele. Should be fun...

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

slowfingers wrote:The only thing that still bugs me about it is the stickiness of the fretboard. When I do a slow bend, my finger literally creaks across the fingerboard; it just doesn't feel smooth to play. I never noticed this with Rosewood....
weird.. I prefer maple for the exact same reason.. I find the roughness of rosewood to feel as though my fingers get 'stuck' on each of the ridges, whereas the smoothness of the finish on maple means I slide over it more...
my tokai has rosewood (I presume - it's not maple, so by default..) andit is smooth, so I guess some rosewood is smooth, but by and large I find it too grabby.. like fingernails on a blackboard... *shudder*
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I have both and have no preference for either. To me, its just a guitar neck - whatever it is is what it is, it makes no difference to my playing.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I played a maple neck ESP M2 recently. It had a natural finish neck I think and it felt really stick. This is why I love ebony necks, they are so slick, even if that Ash fellla says they can sound funny.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Rog wrote:I have both and have no preference for either.
Samesies.

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 284 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Timoes »

Ebony, maple, rosewood in that order. For me anyway.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I've never tried the same kind of guitar with different fretboards, I've owned lots of different ones but there are too many variables. My all maple Gibson Marauder was super bright and gooood, that is all.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Did some experimenting last night and discovered something: The lighter my fretting hand, the less difference I noticed between Maple & Rosewood.
So here's the question; Do those of you who don't mind either way play with a light touch? And do the rest of you tend to wring your guitar's neck like I do?

I do like a guitar that pushes back....... :D

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

I'm a light touch for sure. a 4 hour gig is tough enough without putting my lazy @rse through any unnecessary gymnastics. :D
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I can't tell the difference, and I have a fairly heavy ungainly touch I think. I think I'm just oafish in general when it comes to playing... and life.. :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world