Ok, next question - What to do with a fat neck

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Ok, next question - What to do with a fat neck

Post by ash »

As a side effect of the Esquire project and some mixing and matching of Radian necks in preparation for G-Tar, I will have a big, fat maple Strat neck left over.

What should I put it on?

Top of the list are various Jazzmaster/Telemaster variants. Maybe with P90s.

Bottom of the list are Telecaster variants as I already have several complete.
And a Strat, so maybe not another.

Keep in mind it's a FAT mofo of a neck, so not exactly shredtastic.

Any suggestions?
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: Ok, next question - What to do with a fat neck

Post by mr_sooty »

Gotta be a Les Paul doesn't it? 50's style?

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by matman »

Losing neck fat can be done if you workout and eat properly. While there isn't a proven method of losing fat from one single area of the body, losing weight will affect the amount of neck fat you have. There are several exercises that you can do to strengthen you neck and improve its flexibility. Exercising your neck will contribute to your overall weight loss, but remember, but for the best results, you should exercise other parts of your body as well. You also need to eat properly.

* Side tilt - You can do this exercise while sitting or standing. Sit up straight (or standing up straight) tilt your head to the left side. Do this slowly, and do not lean as far as you can go (your ear should not touch your shoulder). Hold the position for a count of ten. Slowly tilt your head back to the starting position, and then do the same thing on the right side. Repeat the tilt on each side 4 times.
* Back and front tilt - Sitting or standing up straight, tilt your head back so that you can see above you. Hold that position for a couple seconds. Now return to your starting position. Repeat this 5-10 times.
* Rotation - Keeping your body straight, turn your head to look to the left. Turn as far as you can, slowly. Return to the starting position. Now, slowly turn your head to the right side as far as you can. Return to the starting position, and then repeat 5-10 times.
* Side resistance - This exercise can be done with a machine or with your hand. Hold the side of your head, and use your left hand as resistance as you try to do a side tilt to the left slowly. Repeat the same action on the right side.
* Front resistance - This exercise can also be done with a machine or with your hand. Hold the front of your head, and use it as resistance as you try tilt your head to the front, slowly. Try for ten seconds, rest and try again.
* Back resistance - This exercise can be done on a machine at the gym or using both hands. Interlace your fingers in the back of your head, and resist as you try to tilt your head back. Resist for 10 seconds, rest and try again.

A word of caution, make sure that you do not strain or overexert you neck. This is particularly important if you are planning on going to the gym and using machines to create resistance to do these neck exercises. You can cause serious injury if you do not perform these exercises properly, or try to force yourself to do too much. It is important to rest your neck muscles in between workouts, just like you would rest other parts of your body after a workout. If, at any time, you feel a cramp or pain in your neck while doing these exercises, you should stop immediately.

Doing these exercises will help your neck to be stronger and more flexible. If you perform these moves on a regular basis, you might even see difference in your neck. If you have a lot of extra neck fat, you should try running. It is an easy way to burn calories and bring down your overall body fat. If you eat foods that are lower in fats and sugars, you will see a difference in your overall weight as well. Your body will automatically burn neck fat as well from the rest of your body.
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by matman »

I vote jazzmaster or something les pauly
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by dayl »

You've got the plan already

This is the first I found and love it!

imo its the blue one in this pic (less the switches up top)

Maybe some form of stoptail as opposed to that big metal thin... and its all sexy time rock

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Sell it to HG.

It's a Strat neck people...LP+Strat neck=total shite.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

Vorbis wrote:Sell it to HG.

It's a Strat neck people...LP+Strat neck=total shite.
I'm guessing it's vintage frets and radius, right?
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 747 times
Been liked: 516 times

Post by Zaulkin »

dayl wrote:Image
Loving this one. If you haven't got too many white gats already... give it a go! Or maybe a natural one. Or maybe a Sapele/blackburst one. Nom nom nom...
Vorbis wrote:LP+Strat neck=total shite.
Haven't you heard? It's the new thing. All the cool kids are doing it.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

This one caught my eye whilst looking for inspiration:

http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

Damn. Sounds perfecto for one of these:

Only with the Benderbucker in the neck position, no middle pickup and a standard strat trem.

Apart from the colour, that hybrid you just posted looks effing rad!

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Hot_Grits wrote:
I'm guessing it's vintage frets and radius, right?
21 tall/medium frets and 9.5" radius.

It's the one from the black mahogany Radian Strat, which is getting a new coat and a slimmer neck.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

benderissimo wrote:Damn. Sounds perfecto for one of these:

Only with the Benderbucker in the neck position, no middle pickup and a standard strat trem.
Nice line of thinking, Bender. I started off with the original Telemaster thing in mind, but it's been done to death in the last 12 months, so I'm looking more leftfield, but maybe just as pseudo-vintage. But only because people who like fat necks tend to also like vintage or pseudo-vintage.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

radian roadworn?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

I really dig the whole hybrid thing. Those DAG strat/tele hybrids were pretty cool. I wish I could say I'd be all over one like what I posted but sadly I'm going to be buying a house in the 09 in the very near future.

Perhaps I should pull a Sootyesque project parts vs instant gratification dither and then just go and buy a kitchen appliance... :mrgreen:

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

dayl wrote:
imo its the blue one in this pic (less the switches up top)

http://www.shortscale.org/wiki/images/t ... olours.jpg
Yes, the candy blue hotrodded Jazzmaster concept is another condender. I have a white pickguard handy, although I might have to save that idea for a time when I can get the pickups and more useful switching sorted.

The Ranaldo and Moore JMs come to mind:

Maybe some form of stoptail as opposed to that big metal thin... and its all sexy time rock
Ja, dis is true.