Making an insurance claim

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

DrMarv
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Making an insurance claim

Post by DrMarv »

Hey all,

As you may have heard the Media Club, recent venue of Christchurch Gearfests, has succumbed rather spectacularly in the ol' quake of twennyleven.

Actually not that bummed out about it - it's just a building. However, pretty much every piece of guitar kit I own is in there and inaccessible.

I'm just wondering if anyone had any advice about making an insurance claim? The current and available stuff like my guitar and pedals is easy - just got a quote from retailers for replacement etc etc. Where I'm a bit more stumped is for things like my amps which are old, rare and vintage. Basically almost impossible to value, I guess. They're worth a lot to me and I've put a lot of money into their upkeep. Do I go by some crappy trade me auction price when valuing them, or am I better to try and find the modern equivalent replacement amp from the RS that have similar specs?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Guitar > Pedals > Amp

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 261 times

Re: Making an insurance claim

Post by Capt. Black »

Make a list of the gear and it's condition and I can look it up in the vintage price guide if that helps. At least get you a reliable idea of recent US market values. You can adjust them for local values from there.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

What the Capt said ... you can send a PM to NZRS_Matt ... he's a bit of a vintage head and should be able to give you a quote on RS letterhead with accurate prices.

Sadly, you may not get what you had back until you get in.

Are you going to get in?
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

mrs. rocky wrote:talk to your ins. co. and read your policy. it all depends on if you've got "new for old" for musical equipment, or if you've got PDV (Present Day Value - ie. second hand/depreciated etc.).

also, is it actually "damaged" or are you not able to "get to it"? if it's the latter, you can't claim as yet cos it may be fine, and you'd have to wait until you can get access... unless you have some sort of business continuity cover, but that prolly wouldn't cover replacing gear, so much as reimbursing for the loss of earnings, and prolly only for a set period of time.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

NZRS-Dave wrote:What the Capt said ... you can send a PM to NZRS_Matt ... he's a bit of a vintage head and should be able to give you a quote on RS letterhead with accurate prices.

Sadly, you may not get what you had back until you get in.

Are you going to get in?
From what I saw of the place, I wouldn't be going in to get any piece of gear, no matter how much it mattered to me. Some things are more important.
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

DrMarv
Stagg
Stagg

Post by DrMarv »

Cheers everyone,

I won't be going in there. As far as I know the roof is still on, but its a real danger zone. Plus, the cordons are pretty impenetrable. The last I heard they'll be pulling it down fairly soon so I'm not holding my breath on getting in there.

The amps in question are just old NZ made amps. A Holden Wasp VBL (KT88s) with matching 2x12 cabinet and a little Concord Conquest (very similar to an old Vox AC-10, as far as I can tell).

I imagine they're probably not worth that much in the wider scheme.

I'll take a closer look at my policy to find out if I can indeed replace them.

Thanks again everyone,
Guitar > Pedals > Amp

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3573 times
Been liked: 732 times

Post by Cdog »

That really sucks... your gear was awesome!!!!! :( :( :(
A friend of mine got his guitar valued for insurance purposes at the RS, sometimes they charge a fee

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

Cdog wrote:A friend of mine got his guitar valued for insurance purposes at the RS, sometimes they charge a fee
Usually we only charge a fee if we have to send it to a learned third party, or to remove a neck or something to ascertain identity. In general, it's free.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

Cdog wrote:That really sucks... your gear was awesome!!!!! :( :( :(
A friend of mine got his guitar valued for insurance purposes at the RS, sometimes they charge a fee
again, getting it valued is only applicable if it's relevant to the policy.. the policy wording is the key point.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Post by Bg »

Wouldn't new for old be a bit shit from a guitarists perspective? i.e. 1968 Strat gets wasted, you get cash for a 2011 Standard strat....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

BG wrote:Wouldn't new for old be a bit shit from a guitarists perspective? i.e. 1968 Strat gets wasted, you get cash for a 2011 Standard strat....
yup.. totally.. that's why ya gots to get the 'right' policy for the right items.. modern electronics new for old is great... collectible old guff, not so much.
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by Capt. Black »

DrMarv wrote:Cheers everyone,

I won't be going in there. As far as I know the roof is still on, but its a real danger zone. Plus, the cordons are pretty impenetrable. The last I heard they'll be pulling it down fairly soon so I'm not holding my breath on getting in there.

The amps in question are just old NZ made amps. A Holden Wasp VBL (KT88s) with matching 2x12 cabinet and a little Concord Conquest (very similar to an old Vox AC-10, as far as I can tell).

I imagine they're probably not worth that much in the wider scheme.

I'll take a closer look at my policy to find out if I can indeed replace them.

Thanks again everyone,

Oh, cool stuff! For what it's worth, call Nigel Russell at Qceania Audio. 09 845 7801
He has a seriously great collection of this sort of stuff. Some of which are on display in his showroom. He's very knowledgeable and I'm sure he'll at least be able to advise you on what these would be worth in the grand scheme of things.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3573 times
Been liked: 732 times

Post by Cdog »

angry_young_poet wrote:is this the building in question?
Don't think so... thats the Catholic Music School.
I found this shot of the old media club... where we had a gearfest not so long ago :(

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7930 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

Has anyone seen any pics of the inside of QEII? they're talking 2-3 years before its alive again :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.