How many hours a day do you practice?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 528 times

How many hours a day do you practice?

Post by Zaulkin »

Just curious - How many hours a day do you guys spend practicing? And by that I mean solid, timed, focused practice, digging deep and trying to further your skills as a guitarist/song writer? Noodling doesn't count.

Initially I was very curious about the guitar and in the first week I was clocking up quite a few hours without thinking. As I got more fascinated with the instrument I was probably peaking at about 6 - 8 hours a day of intense practice, more on the weekends. I had a lapse about a year ago where I didn't do much - perhaps an hour a day - and my improvement seriously went downhill. I'm pretty sure this happens to most people who get interested in something, there is usually a point where just it all just becomes too much.

Anyway, I'm back up to my old standards now at about 3 - 5 hours of solid practice a day, plus 2 - 4 hours of uni. Ever since I've been noticing big improvements each day...

So how much time do you spend on the guitar? Do you search for ways to get technically better or do you prefer to jam?

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 600 times
Been liked: 464 times

Re: How many hours a day do you practice?

Post by werdna »

I was doing about 3 hours solid, including ear training, not including noodling. After three months, my chops were tighter, and I have better navigation over the fretboard. But then I got a job, and now I get maybe an hour a day, not digging too deep.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

I barely ever practice anymore, except band practice, and I find that because I'm away from it for a few days at a time, I play much more interestingly and almost better because I'm so into it cause I haven't had a chance to pick up a gat in the last day or whatever.

But I'm sure if I practiced regularly I'd improve speed etc, but I find then I get bored of it and less inspired.
Weird
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Sabbath Bloody Sabbath »

I'm at about 2-3 Hours a day at the moment. Has varied through the years though with work, uni etc. I get really excited about learning new things and writing new songs so it helps more with the motivation I find than just jamming the same shit every time, thats when you feel you're in a rut i find. Jamming definitely has its place though...
"You give me a fucking kazoo and I'll write you a good song." - Billy Corgan

danrawkz
PRS
PRS
Been liked: 1 time

Post by danrawkz »

0 hours per day at the moment, too many assignments :lol:

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 528 times

Post by Zaulkin »

druz15 wrote:I barely ever practice anymore, except band practice, and I find that because I'm away from it for a few days at a time, I play much more interestingly and almost better because I'm so into it cause I haven't had a chance to pick up a gat in the last day or whatever.

But I'm sure if I practiced regularly I'd improve speed etc, but I find then I get bored of it and less inspired.
Weird
I think if you practice a lot you naturally get bored with the sounds of different scales etc... So if you do less, some of those 'new' sounds are more exciting when they come out.
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath wrote:Jamming definitely has its place though...
I agree, jamming with others is one of the best (and most fun) ways to learn. Plus it makes you keep up with the guys you're jamming with.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

I don't really practice so much as I songwrite, but I guess the two aren't mutually exclusive. Generally, I'll pick up my guitar for at least an hour or two most days, usually whilst dinner is cooking/watching news/before anyone gets home that'll be bothered by noise.

I have at least 6-8 hours a week band practices between both bands, more if gigs or recording coming up.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 371 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

I've been playing the same lick for 30 yrs or so.... I practice it still.

I find as I get older I can play it with less notes.

I like that lick a lot.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3990 times

Post by Bg »

crowbgood1 wrote:I've been playing the same lick for 30 yrs or so.... I practice it still.

I like that lick a lot.
This ^

Shit, I know how to play Freebird, is there anything else to learn?

I don't sit around playing the pentatonic scales. I already know them. I don't need them faster.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

crowbgood1 wrote:I've been playing the same lick for 30 yrs or so.... I practice it still.

I like that lick a lot.
I practice this much ^
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

While I was unemployed, I practised quite a bit, but only the lead work on all the songs my bands play and only then because I was transitioning from playing bass to guitar.

Now that I'm carrying the country again, all I ever do is polish those solos. :D
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7906 times
Been liked: 4251 times

Post by jeremyb »

Busy job, 3 year old son, pregnant wife, earthquake bullshit, so basically fuck all, need to make more time, would like to achieve an hour a day, but generally have been so tired after work and doing home things all I want to do is chill in front of the TV, but back into biking to work again and the exercise is helping with my energy levels so things are looking up :) I'm improving slowly, so need to put more work in really :?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by hamo »

Yeah, basically none. When I do eventually get the chance to pick up my guitar I do some clueless noodling, play the three or so riffs I can actually remember, and then give up. Will improve this scenario eventually.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

druz15 wrote:I barely ever practice anymore, except band practice, and I find that because I'm away from it for a few days at a time, I play much more interestingly and almost better because I'm so into it cause I haven't had a chance to pick up a gat in the last day or whatever.

Weird
This.

I like that lick a lot.
And a little bit of this.
Zaulkin wrote: I think if you practice a lot you naturally get bored with the sounds of different scales etc... So if you do less, some of those 'new' sounds are more exciting when they come out.
And definitely not this.

I have a fundamental problem with music that sounds too perfect. Overproduced, overpracticed, overstudied, overcorrected (whether it be autotuned or edited so that it's in time) music makes me angry. Flaws, rawness and unpredictability are what makes music interesting to me. In the same regard, the first time I play a lick is the time I like it most and the more I try to recapture that by practicing it the more it loses it's soul. My solution is to figure out the essence of the lick (usually two notes that fall on particular beats) and practice working those into whatever else I happen to be playing. That way they come out different every time. What I'm getting at is that the only practice I really do is noodling.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 864 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

I like that lick a lot.
Haha 25 yrs for me and some large gaps, like the growth of a tree...
Good subject, I've been back into the electric 4 yrs, honeymoon is over & have to beat myself with a stick to practice. When I do it's about 45 mins to an hour, no new songs for awhile, just trying to hang on to what I've got before it fades from memory. There is a lot you can do with even 4 notes purely by listening, no theory study required. Thought I'd get off my arse & jam standing up last night, really dug in and enjoyed it, loud too.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus