24 frets

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

A guitar has 24 frets. Does this make you:

More likely to want it
26%
Less likely to want it
29%
Unchanged in your level of want or unwant.
46%

Total votes: 35

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

24 frets

Post by ash »

I know most people don't care whether their guitars feature a 24th fret, but when they do, they really do. The 22nd fret seems to be even more of a decider for a lot of players.

Having 24 frets also seems to immediately suggest the S-word... Shred.
Some people will automatically dismiss a guitar as being too shreddy if it has 24 frets without ever looking at it. Is that you?

I'm vagely considering making the standard Heilo or Coden models with 24 frets and maybe not bothering with the Safon as it mostly only exists as a 24 fret platform and no-one seems to be lining up for them. Unsure at this stage as the Safon design is a lot more affordable than an equivalent Heilo and it perfectly fits a pigeon hole that is very active out there in guitar land.

So, 24 frets - good, bad, indifferent?
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: 24 frets

Post by Scooter13 »

Depends on the guitar, but I rarely play past the 22nd fret anyway...but it's not a decider for me.
Although they still have to balanced well if the neck ends up being slightly longer as a result of 2 more frets...
I agree though that I have dismissed strats from the GAS list before cos they only had 21 frets.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

For the record, here are some of the recognised pros and cons of having a few more frets:

Pros:
Two more notes to play with.
Bogan credibility.
Bonus dots.

Cons:
Neck pickup is slightly less neck-ish and slightly more middle-ish. Only slightly.
Sometimes the neck will be moved a little further out from the body to make room for the extra two. That can affect how far out you reach for the low notes (only about 20mm) and could mean the neck is a little less stiff.
Alternatively, the neck could be exactly the same, but the two extra frets are a little harder to get to than those up to 22. For some people this is mysteriously worse than them not being there at all.
Bogan credibility.
Annoying extra dots.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7909 times
Been liked: 4258 times

Post by jeremyb »

24 is so 80's, 22 is enough for me :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3558 times
Been liked: 728 times

Post by Cdog »

Classic tastes here... 24 frets seems like too many for me, the extra two are at the wrong end of the neck IMO

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Indifferent.

Though I guess if I was choosing between a 22-fret shred guitar and a 24-fret shred guitar that were otherwise the same, I'd pick the 24. Just for the bogan cred.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

PS: Persons who vote that 24 frets is a bad thing, please explain why you feel that way.

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

I'm not even sure I'd notice. I guess you'd have some fancy 24th fret marker or something?

To this day I've never picked up a guitar and said "This has two frets too many".

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I hate the look of 24 fret guitars....if it has 2 humbuckers they look cramped, if they have H/S/H it just looks a mess

I have a 24 fret guitar that is single pick up and no fret markers so I can live with it........have never used the 23rd or 24th fret though, in fact I usually don't get past the 21st fret hence why most of my guitars have 21 :D
twistedthoughts wrote:To this day I've never picked up a guitar and said "This has two frets too many".
I say that all the time :lol:...in fact I said it in ed's triple new guitar day thread about the ESP :lol: :lol: :lol:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 532 times

Post by Zaulkin »

21 frets = not enough frets
22 frets = perfect as long as there is good access to the higher frets
24 frets = can look weird but otherwise dont mind.

Having 24 frets sometimes makes it seem like the all important 22nd fret is easier to play especially when bending a string or if the neck is longer (so you get more access). If you have good access on a 22 fret guitar though, I think that's good enough.

Atleast with more frets you can just choose not to use them...

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 532 times

Post by Zaulkin »

I think the extra two frets on a PRS style guitar are much less noticeable, especially if you use one dot instead of two.

From a theoretical point of view it would make sense for all guitars to have two octaves available on each string.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Zaulkin wrote:At least with more frets you can just choose not to use them...
Nah, sell the guitar because it has "too many features I don't use and I'm not doing it justice".

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

never even played a 24 fret I don't think.
Put it this way, I've never been playing a solo real high up and been like "uh-oh I need to go higher but I can't"
Don't think it would put me off buying a guitar I like if it was there though
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

22 frets just seems conceptually mongtarded. Why stop so close to a full octave? Never actually owned one though because the guitars I've liked over the years haven't come with 24.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

22 Frets it is, unless it's a Les paul, in which case 24 frets. Just so we can actually reach the 18th.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.